Quantcast

What a wonderful feeling!!!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
When you are less than $65 away from paying off the first student loan!!!!

(Sorry, I know I rarely post, but I just had to share!) :love:

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Well I'm nowhere near "done" but it sure seems like my sole focus in life these days is on paying off debt rather than acquiring more (like buying a house like the family would dearly love to see me do).

This is the first one to be paid off. Next will be all the credit cards and my car. The rest of my student loans were consolidated a few months back and I'm on an icky 20 year plan. (don't worry - if the rest of my debt is taken care of by this summer, those 20 years will pass in closer to 5). :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Jr_Bullit said:
Mistakes and misery you don't realize till after you have a pretty degree hangin on the wall :dead:
Sounds like I should be glad I never had any of those........

Never had credit card debt either..........

Although the mortgage & minivan payments are pi$$ing me off. :mumble:

-S.S.-

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Jr_Bullit said:
When you are less than $65 away from paying off the first student loan!!!!

(Sorry, I know I rarely post, but I just had to share!) :love:

I remember those days - good times. When I got within about $200, I just paid it all off. It's amazing the things you can do with the extra cash.

steve45

Monkey
Sep 30, 2003
Dundee, Scotland
i have a fair bit of student debt, repayment of my student loans start next may :help: :eviltongu :mad:

why oh why did i let myself get suckered into it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
oh wow the title of this thread made me think about vaseline, the blow dryer and a set of scuba fins

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
SkaredShtles said:
Sounds like I should be glad I never had any of those........

Never had credit card debt either..........

Although the mortgage & minivan payments are pi$$ing me off. :mumble:

-S.S.-
Lol...lucky man ;) I don't regret the benefits I got from school and all the experiences, but there were smarter ways to reach the end then the way I got there :p

However, I'm avoiding the mortgage idea as long as physically possible ...this whole debt thing has taught me one thing...the best way to get through life is without any debt. :cool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jr_Bullit said:
However, I'm avoiding the mortgage idea as long as physically possible ...this whole debt thing has taught me one thing...the best way to get through life is without any debt. :cool:
you might wanna rethink that strategy...you can't build equity via rent payments.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
True enough, but I also owe no one anything ;). My mom's a real estate agent, and has been pushing the company jargon down my throat quite a bit. Most people tend to aim for the little house and the safety that comes with that, but for me that's less safe. I've explored the options and was approved to buy a nice little place for myself last year, but backed out after realizing it's not right, for me, right now.

I'll buy when I've got enough saved up to pay at least 1/2 of the cost of the place and start working towards full ownership by playing buy/sell games for a few years and leaving cheaply.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Jr_Bullit said:
I'll buy when I've got enough saved up to pay at least 1/2 of the cost of the place and start working towards full ownership by playing buy/sell games for a few years and leaving cheaply.

Words of wisdom.

Friendly advice... avoid any kind of debt unless it is utterly possible! (no sh1t sherlock...ok you dont need me to get this advice)....

The interesting part now...

10yrs ago, you couldnt spot a bank-TV-advert ... now it is full of them like tampons!!!! which means... through loans... someone is making excess cash out of us.

Congrats on the bloke that is repaying the loan.

To any of you on loan....

IT IS BETTER TO PAY LOANS AS LONG AS WE ARE OUTSIDE HOSPITALS!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
you might wanna rethink that strategy...you can't build equity via rent payments.
A flip side is that without the hassle of a mortgage, just up and moving or quitting your job and travelling is a *LOT* easier.......

Same goes for car payments.

Of course, once you have kids, you might as well belly up to the mortgage bar. :D

-S.S.-

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
SkaredShtles said:
Of course, once you have kids, you might as well belly up to the mortgage bar. :D

-S.S.-
Well then I've definitely got more than a few years before needing to worry about a house ;)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Jr_Bullit said:
Well then I've definitely got more than a few years before needing to worry about a house ;)
I didn't belly up to that bar until I was 29. I spent my 20's footloose - working as little as possible and playing a *lot*

Most people waste their immediate post-college years working..... which is a shame. :) Of course, student loans probably have something to do with it. :think:

-S.S.-

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure where you live but if you know you will want a house at some point, do it sooner rather than later. You will build equity instead of pissing away your rent, plus pretty much anywhere you are, the house will gain in value. In a couple years you can refinance based on your equity and the increased value and pay off your loans all at once. That'll get your loans paid off much faster than if you pay the minimums for 20 years or whatever. And you'll have a house. I agree that people should try to live debt free but you've already got the student loan debt, and unless you come into a large chunk of bucks, you will need a loan to get a house, whenever you decide to do it...