Quantcast

What am I missing?

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by freeridefool, Apr 25, 2008.

1. freeridefool

freeridefool Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Im having trouble with my hayes nines'... go figure eh. Ive bled the pos brakes a hundred times over the years. I race next week so I thought Id bleed them. I go through all the steps and still get no power, and the lever goes almost to the bar. I even went to the Hayes site to read the bleeding instructions. And still ****. Anybody have a better way to do it?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    59 / 706
    Without having the bike in fornt of me, Its tough to speculate, But I will ask, have you tried adjusting the lever reach? My Brother had a hell of a time with the "Pushrod" rotating and backing off the lever reach adjustment.

3. freeridefool

freeridefool Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Ya I tried the reach adjuster screw on the lever. I even took apart the lever to see if the bladder was messed up. The thing is I have good modulation just no power. So that leads me to believe there is air in the system but Ive put like a whole quart through the system.

4. .Pit Steelers.

.Pit Steelers. Nostradumbass

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Your problem is that it's a 9 get something diffrent.

5. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    59 / 706
    Well, my next questions is..... Did you get teh pads/rotor wet with brake fluid in the process???

6. freeridefool

freeridefool Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    No the pads and rotor are fine. I even moved the back brake pads and rotor to the front to make sure I didnt.

Now that Im thinking I didnt push the pistons all the way into the caliper. Would that make a difference?

7. Yeti

Yeti Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    when you first bleed the 9's with new pads you get say contact point A. Pads wear out, you bleed them again and somehow you get contact point B. This shouldn't happen and/or depends on the bleeding protocol. This is just an theory of mine concerning the 9's. Had more or less the same trouble with the ones that came on my hardtail. They are very cheap brakes and for long runs they suck. Get some juicy 5....friend of mine even went back to his 5 year old hayes mag's which he found to be way better than the 9's.

8. spacemanspiff06

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 0
    internally ruptured lines?

9. jsh191

jsh191 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    here's what you need to do....

keep the lever end closed. open up the caliper end and place the bottle/hose on the caliper as if you were bleeding the lines. making sure the line stays securely attached to the caliper, force as much fluid into the lines and bladder as possible. while you have the fluid forced into the lines, close off the caliper end.

this should provide the response you need. it's a little tricky to do with only one person; a second hand to open/close the caliper end is helpful, but it's possible to do it solo.

i've bled my hayes many times, and used this as a measure to get the pressure i want. anyway... give it a try. hope this helps.

10. frznnomad

frznnomad Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    since you have tried the reach adjuster, and that didnt fix it. the next thing i would do is put on a new set of lines and probly some fresh new oil. i had the same problem with my mags and that what me and another mechanic determined the problem was. try it and see if that helps. good luck to ya man.

11. freeridefool

freeridefool Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Rock on gentlemen thank you for the replies. Im bout to do work on the brakes again.

12. freeridefool

freeridefool Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    You sir are the man. It worked to fricken perfection, and took about five minutes. Thank you so much.