Quantcast

What AM wheels you guys running??

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
Hey guys, along with the lyrik damper upgrade i also want to change the wheels on my Remedy (160mm version), so again i look to you guys for recommendations.
At the moment i'm thinking of getting the new Mavic crossmax ST's, the only thing that keeps me from paying them is the internal width of the rim which is 19mm, too narrow??? their weight seem really good at 1615 grams for front and rear and at a price of $700, not too bad. i would love to get industry nine's but their out of my budget!

comments/ recommendations/ critique's on the mavics welcome!

and what wheels are you guys running??

p.d sorry for posting in the DH section but i'm primarily a DHer and love to hear DHers points of view, besides i've been reading that a ton of us are getting into all mountain.

thanks!

Last edited:

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
My 6" AM bike is getting Crossmax SXs next year. I thought about the STs as well but the 19mm internal rim width is basically an 819. The Deemax is 23mm, like the 823. The SXs are 21mm, right between.

I have a set of Cross Trails on my HT XC bike and they are also 19mm (again its basically an 819). I think it looks too narrow for AM riding so again my decision points to the Cross Max SX.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I am running Stans Flow rims laced to a Hadley in Front and CK in the back. If I were to do it over, I would have gone for a Hadley in the back too.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
for under $450 you can get nice handbuilt Flows / DT comp / brass nips / Hope Pro II hubs. Or spend a little more, say 75 bucks, and have a Hadley 72pt rear hub. PM me if you need contact info.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Crossmax sx get my vote at sensible money. Easton haven also worth a look too. Aluminium version not too pricey. Ive got a pair of carbon ones and they are unbelievable, but spendy.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
DT Swiss EX1750's. They are adaptable to fit pretty much any axle configuration out there, so they will stay with me if I change frame/fork. They are currently set up for 20mm front and 10mm thru-bolt rear. I also have the 36-point engagement star ratchets in them which makes a huge difference.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
for under $450 you can get nice handbuilt Flows / DT comp / brass nips / Hope Pro II hubs. Or spend a little more, say 75 bucks, and have a Hadley 72pt rear hub. PM me if you need contact info.
That's actually what I have planned for my next wheelset on my AM bike. My current stock set up on my Pitch, DT 445 on Shimano M475 are heavy, flexy, and give an awkward tire profile. Every ride I come back with more dents and wheel way out of true. I can then use them as a back up for my DH bike.

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I'm really liking the Sun Ringle 29's that came on my bike, they seem to be holding just as well as my set of MTX 29's. They're probably not as light as what you're looking for but I use them for DH. They've taken some hard hits and are still true.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
A good rule of thumb to go by is if you plan on running 2.5" tires, then go with the wider rim width. In this case, wider than the ST's.

I have the SX on my 6" bike and ST on my 4" bike. The ST's are quite nice, but I'm not sure I'd trust them on my Nomad/6" bike.

Mavic states somewhere that their rim width is based on the proper tire profile for a tire width that is designated for that rim. Or something like that. Silly French.

Superstar wheelsets made the Dirt 100 this year. Don't know nuthin' about them, but they seem pretty sweet.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
Great results with my Stan's Flow rims, DT hubs, alloy nips, and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Final package is very near 1600 flat. A big consideration for me was being able to replace a spoke if I'm on the road - keep that in mind if you travel or if your local shop doesn't stock parts for Mavic wheels.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
On my covert I have been running a pair of chocolate brown i9 enduro's for a few years, and had i9's on all other bikes prior, i believe the rims are the i9 brand rims (not sure who makes them).

The rear hub is absolutely worth it but the entire wheelset is by far my favorite...i think i have trued them twice during ownership

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
im running mavic 521 on hopes. held up great so far. tire profile is great as well. i would trust these rims on my dh bike, some use them as race only wheels.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Been running Azonic Outlaws for years on all my All Mt Bikes and DH bikes. They have been a wheel set I can depend on and not cost an arm and a leg. The support they give is great too. They are not light by any meens, but you can sure run them hard and they will stand up.....

Cecil

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I've used Crossmax SX's for a 24 hour and won some dh races on em too. Minor truing and freewheel maintenance is all I've done so far. A few spokes have dings from rogue rocks but the wheelset is still straight and strong.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've been on a set of '10 Crossmax SX wheels for about a year now, and they've been very impressive. At 1755g (I weighed them, pretty much dead on the claimed weight), UST, and very stiff, that's pretty impressive.

After a year of beating on them (on my Covert), I put them on the truing stand recently, and they still don't need any spoke adjustments. Combined with my experience with 823's and Deemax, Mavic rims are very resistant to denting also.

My only two complaints, albeit minor issues, are that the hub bearing pre-load is a little finicky, and that the 12mm bolt-on axle that's designed to fit into standard 10mm dropouts moves the wheel down relative to the frame (the axle doesn't sit all the way up into the dropout). If you have an actual 12x135 frame, this isn't an issue. Or, if you used a skewer or 10mm thru-axle or bolt-on, it wouldn't be an issue either.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been running the older Easton Havoc wheelset for the past two years. ~1850 grams, wide rim profile, convert-able front hub, 36 points engagement. I like them and the only issue so far is one broken spoke and a rear hub bearing is going bad. They can also be found fairly cheap, in the $350-400 range. The new model is even lighter but more expensive.

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
using the internets i found the following info:

-Hope pro II Front = 177g, Rear = 286
-Stans ZTR Flow = 470g
-32 Spokes (dt-swiss) + nipples = 140g per wheel

TOTAL WHEELSET WEIGHT = +/- 1679g

not bad considering thats a proper all mountain rim but what other quality hub options do i have that could be lighter??

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
lighter spokes Sapim Cx-rays bladed spokes.
I-9 hubs, the normal spoke version.
DT Swiss 340's with the 36pt star ratchets
The Hope front hub is light but I think the Atomlab Pimplite front is lighter.
I am not a fan of the Hope rear hub unless it is the ss/trials version

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Ive got a pair of carbon ones and they are unbelievable, but spendy.
I must know more. Riding style, bike set-up, ect...

And the world trade has become international and the development of mining machinery have taken the changes fastly. And the communication of the mining machinery technology have existed no country obstacle while we should ensure the relative independence in the whole production flow.

Referring:
crusher machine
mobile crusher
symons cone crusher

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Been running Azonic Outlaws for years on all my All Mt Bikes and DH bikes. They have been a wheel set I can depend on and not cost an arm and a leg. The support they give is great too. They are not light by any meens, but you can sure run them hard and they will stand up.....

Cecil
Ditto.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
using the internets i found the following info:

-Hope pro II Front = 177g, Rear = 286
-Stans ZTR Flow = 470g
-32 Spokes (dt-swiss) + nipples = 140g per wheel

TOTAL WHEELSET WEIGHT = +/- 1679g

not bad considering thats a proper all mountain rim but what other quality hub options do i have that could be lighter??
Something is off there. I have a set of DT 5.1s to Hope Pro IIs and they are 1,910 grams. The 5.1s are 510 grams so with your rims that should make mine 1,830. Mine have straight pull spokes, double butted saved 1g per spoke so that would make them 1,766.

Are you thinking triple butted spokes with aluminum nipples? I wouldn't run that for AM wheels.

Last edited:

DHperu

Monkey
Apr 14, 2005
To be honest i just looked at the weights on sicklines.com for a reference/ guesstimate

that was a wierd spam post! hahaha

so what other hubs should i be considering??? i need to keep the weight low!

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
crossmax sx...end of story. I've been thrashing mine for over 3 seasons now and aside from freehub clean/lube a couple times a season and replacing some spokes after a derailleur jump incident, they've been completely bomber...haven't had to true them aside from the spoke replacement on the rear...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Crossmax SX:
Mine were pretty durable - they never got out of true and they were pretty damn stiff. But could that rear hub be any more garbage? I had to replace my freehub like 3 times. I think they improved their rear hubs since, but that was enough to keep me away from Mavic wheelsets. Other downer about those wheels are the spokes which can be difficult to find depending on where you live.

DT 1750:
Been using these wheels for a few years now and I'm pretty happy with them. I hate the fact that they come stock with bladed spokes - they are a pain to true/tension. The only issue I've had with those wheels is the front hubs. The bearings keep coming loose and I'm always rebuilding them. If you run a Fox Fork - you probably won't notice it as much - but with a RS 20mm Maxle, you can definitely feel it. They are also super easy to setup as ghetto tubeless. yeah soft rims - but nothing a good pair of vice grips can't bring back. At lest they don't pinch flat ;)

Easton Haven:
I have some of these bad boys on the way. Pretty anxious to try them out. Same ID as the 5.1's rims on the 1750's, Tubeless ready (although I don't really care about that), use same length spokes throughout, lighter than the 1750's and soon will have a rear axle configuration that will be easily swappable from 10 mm to 12 mm (important to me since I have Maxle and non maxle bikes).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I've been running Stans ZTR Arch trail rims on my 5 for about a year now on proto ZTR hubs. Really nice rims, seem have have put up to a ton of abuse as well, and lighter than their Flow counterparts (which are on my DH bike).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been pounding on a set of Edge (now Enve) carbon AM rims for the last year and I have been incredibly happy. They are so stiff, light, and responsive on the trail it's unbelievable. I can feel tire flex and the edge of traction like never before and they are holding up great. Aside from cost the only sort of negative is the hidden nipples, which made the build kind of a pain but hasn't really been an issue because I haven't had to true them since I built them.

If the cost for those is just too much, a lot of my buddies are stoked on the Havens (aluminum and carbon versions).

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Crossmax SX:
Mine were pretty durable - they never got out of true and they were pretty damn stiff. But could that rear hub be any more garbage? I had to replace my freehub like 3 times. I think they improved their rear hubs since, but that was enough to keep me away from Mavic wheelsets. Other downer about those wheels are the spokes which can be difficult to find depending on where you live.
it's true, the older freehub design was the one weakness, I probably do a couple quick rebuilds per seasons and a new freehub every season and a bit...