Quantcast

What are the best 2012/2013 brakes for extended steep downhills?

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Rock solid reliability: 810

A bit lighter: XT

Good alternative: 820 or Avid

Local hero: Hayes Formula Hope etc

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Lelandjt, do you Think 180/160 will work well for enduro and dh (my weight 75kg)? I felt Saint is quite powerful but I dont deal with its laggy modulation.

How work kettle rotors? better than standard discs from brands? Im looking at Formula Ro at front and Rx at rear to compare to Saint. I suppose that RX will be sufficient enough as rear brake.

Only size of dics that I couldnt decide. Kettle discs look sweet :D

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Formula RO with Kettle rotors (I have The Ones w/Kettle rotors, awesome)
Tell me more about Kettle rotors!
A friend of mine told me, they are preproduced on Taiwan, near Taichung. He also said they could slow you down, but that would be all...

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I had bad experiences with RO brakes, Roasted the pads and they wore out frequently, and that is only on the 1200 vert east coast places, not what i would recommend. They run HOT!

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I had bad experiences with RO brakes, Roasted the pads and they wore out frequently, and that is only on the 1200 vert east coast places, not what i would recommend. They run HOT!
My experience is all with The Ones and R1s. They have been near perfect brakes and I expected the RO to be like a slightly beefier The One. The stock rotors are very drilled out and work well but do eat pads and get hot quick. The Kettles have been working great for me. They seem to feel the same or better when hot. They ate a lot of pad during the break-in (I took the opportunity to kill off some nearly gone pads) but I'm now hoping for improved pad life due to the solid surface. They're double+ the price of stock rotors but Formula and Shimano brakes can be bought without rotors so it's a viable option for $100-150 more total.

If you're light on the rear brake and your trails don't have the kind of sustained braking that heats the rear, 180/160 works for enduro. I prefer 180/180 to manage heat. My enduro bike's Fox 180TALAS Fork requires a 200mm rotor so I use a R1 front brake to lessen the power. It still has a little too much for an enduro tire so I think it was a mistake for Fox to require a fork with 180/140mm travel to use a DH rotor.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I've run Hayes Stroker Aces for years racing DH. I've never had them fade. The lever may get a little soft or pump up on long runs but they always work. *Probably more my lack of skill at bleeding than the brake design.

Last year at Snowmass some racers were getting leery of their brakes, one guy even crashed because his blew out. Mine were fine.
Hayes Prime Pros. I never thought anything could top my Stroker Aces and was leery of going from 4-pots to two. I was wrong . . . they are bester.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
The Kettles have been working great for me. They seem to feel the same or better when hot. They ate a lot of pad during the break-in (I took the opportunity to kill off some nearly gone pads) but I'm now hoping for improved pad life due to the solid surface. They're double+ the price of stock rotors but Formula and Shimano brakes can be bought without rotors so it's a viable option for $100-150 more total.

If you're light on the rear brake and your trails don't have the kind of sustained braking that heats the rear, 180/160 works for enduro. I prefer 180/180 to manage heat. My enduro bike's Fox 180TALAS Fork requires a 200mm rotor so I use a R1 front brake to lessen the power. It still has a little too much for an enduro tire so I think it was a mistake for Fox to require a fork with 180/140mm travel to use a DH rotor.
How long have you had them?
Did you have opportunity to did some longer, steeper runs?
Which model did you get? How is the quality? What pads do you use?
I am light and I run lightweight Glory with Fox 36 180 Float. I use 2012 XT with Ice rotors. I wonder whether upgrading would make any sense? ;)

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
How long have you had them?
Did you have opportunity to did some longer, steeper runs?
Which model did you get? How is the quality? What pads do you use?
I am light and I run lightweight Glory with Fox 36 180 Float. I use 2012 XT with Ice rotors. I wonder whether upgrading would make any sense? ;)
The IceTech rotors are already pretty good. They handle heat and knocks better than the Formulas I replaced and likely have better pad life too so you wouldn't see as much benefit as I have. You will see even more weight loss so there's that. I've had them for a burn-in session and three rides (6000ft total) two of which have enough braking to cause a little fade with my stock rotors. Good power the whole way down, no fade with the Kettles.

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Good to hear that!
Pls post some usage reports later during the season.
When I have too much money, I might give them try ;)

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1st gen was the 755? I still have a set of 755 m/c with aftermarket levers in my parts box.

Those 755 calipers, the original 4 piston jobbers, are STILL going strong on my friend's bike some 15 years later.

Last edited: