Quantcast

What are the best online wholesale stores for computer components?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
I'm gonna be making my own computer, so what are the best wholesale stores online that I can go to to find the good stuff for the cheaper prices? I'm not looking for top of the line stuff, but I want a computer that will run XP, have a good video card and lots of virtual memory.
Thanks for any help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
dwaugh said:
On pircewatch, I notice that lots of people have low feedback ratings, whats up with that?
Just check out what the people who left feedback have to say.

Often, the complaints are invalid - a common one that I see a lot is that the ad on Pricewatch says, "free shipping if you mention Pricewatch" or "free shipping with cupon #abcdefg" - and the complaint is that the company charged them for shipping. Well, duh, they didn't mention Pricewatch (or the cupon number).

That, and people complaining that the part was incompatible with their system - well, that's the difference between walking into Staples and ordering online. You have to know what you're buying - just like buying bike parts. Know your stuff before you order. Double check your order. You can't put a 68mm bottom bracket in a 73mm bottom bracket shell, so make sure you've got the right part - if you go ordering an AGP video card, it's not gonna fit into your PCI slot.

As always online, try to order with a credit card. That goes for ordering anywhere, though - that way, if there's a problem, you always have the fallback of contesting the charge and not having to pay it.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
dwaugh said:
I'm gonna be making my own computer, so what are the best wholesale stores online that I can go to to find the good stuff for the cheaper prices? I'm not looking for top of the line stuff, but I want a computer that will run XP, have a good video card and lots of virtual memory.
Thanks for any help.
I think you should start out reading some on computer forums, if you think you can use all the virtual memory you have lying around you'll be in for a big shock when your homemade computer won't start up.

I've never ordered computer parts on line but if you insist on asking on a bike forum for suggestions:

www.newegg.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.dell.com

are the three that come up the most often with good remarks.