Quantcast

What are the drawbacks of using a 27.5" fork on a 26" bike?

Dh builder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
I am in debate with some people who are saying it doesn't matter if you use a 27.5" fork on a 26" bike.

Lets assume you are using a Fox 40 fork. Will there be any drawbacks of using a 27.5" version of the fork over the 26" version on a 26" downhill bike?

Or is it negligible and really doesn't matter?

Thanks

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Negligible and you'll have a fork with some resale value that can go onto your next DH bike if it's 27.5.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Negligible and you'll have a fork with some resale value that can go onto your next DH bike if it's 27.5.
On the other hand, you can get a 26" 40 for super cheap because it's obviously unrideable, but then put a 27.5" wheel in it because that actually clears fine as long as you bump the crowns up a few mm.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I am in debate with some people who are saying it doesn't matter if you use a 27.5" fork on a 26" bike.

Lets assume you are using a Fox 40 fork. Will there be any drawbacks of using a 27.5" version of the fork over the 26" version on a 26" downhill bike?

Or is it negligible and really doesn't matter?

Thanks
What’s the head angle on the bike you want to put it on? What bike? Depending on the bike it could be fine.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Fify

I've ridden a 27.5 40 with a 26" wheel.
Sucks.
I've got a 26" 40 with a 27.5" wheel. It's good.
ymmv. i ran my nomad (w/27.5 fork from the uzzi) as 26 for a year. i noticed no difference at all when i finally swapped to 27.5 wheels. but i am a talentless hack who has somehow survived with carbon bars for many years. shred on, you sensitive shredders. bikes on steep blown out deepwoods jank are the best and that's all that matters.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
ymmv. i ran my nomad (w/27.5 fork from the uzzi) as 26 for a year. i noticed no difference at all when i finally swapped to 27.5 wheels. but i am a talentless hack who has somehow survived with carbon bars for many years. shred on, you sensitive shredders. bikes on steep blown out deepwoods jank are the best and that's all that matters.
I think he’d be fine too. I do the carbon bars AND cranks! You almost need to know what to look for and have stuff to compare to to actually have an issue with offsets. The wrong offset is a pretty 1st world problem to have.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

That's not a 40. The offsets are bigger.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So anyway op
In my experience adjusting offset

More offset has some of the feel of more rake in that the front is further out and has a tiny bit less weight on it. But for stability its got some of the feel of less rake it has a lighter feel to turn it can feel more "free" "flappy" or "loose". Near loss of traction the action is to push and feeling is an even lighter bar.

Less offset has the feel of less rake in that the wheel feels closer in and has more weight on it. Stability wise its got the feel of more rake it has a heavier feel more "heavy" "firmer" or "tighter" "direct". Near loss of traction the action is to tuck and steer in or knife.

Personally I like to run as little offset as possible while not having the bike or motorcycle knifey.