Quantcast

What are the most popular brakes?

certified

Chimp
Aug 31, 2011
UK
Hi,
I am doing a college project basically on brakes (design pad shape / heat / brake power....)

Where could I find a list of the most popular brakes / brake pads ?

I guess there isn't really such a thing, but maybe there is .... you monkeys are full of crazy knowledge!!

Any help greatly appreciated.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Most used on the market? Most liked? XC? DH? AM?

Probably the most popular on the market are some form of the elixers. They are on the most bikes. They work for XC, AM, and DH (for most).

Some of the more well loved brakes (but more money) are the shimano Saints, and formula the ones.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I'd say the majority are avid nowadays, they are affordable and solid.

Saints seem to be better than my codes, however saints are big bucks. the codes are plenty good enough for me anyways, i have been thrilled with them. the 2011 versions was an improvement over the 09 model.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
smart people who want power and performance buy shimano,people who want to be pro's and love leaking failing brakes ( allot of people do ) they buy sram

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
or USA does considering 250x2 makes 500 not 275,also validating that xo elixirs are 250 each internet price,making his point not valid either way.

Making mine stronger by buying crap ass product for vertually the same price.All the shimanos on my floor feel better then all the srams.

its gona come down to if your a monkey,a corperate monkey,or a connaisseur.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
or us less fortunates w/o 500 dollars to drop on brakes :)
okay 500 plus dollars plus, not sure if that price tag even includes rotors. the codes arent a bad brake, i think i got mine on an ebay deal for like 400 bucks for the set with rotors. no issues with them what so ever or my previous set of '09 codes.
the avid brakes always treated me well. i have had issues with lever adjustments not being to my liking on most other brakes. i do run them very close to the bar, my right thumb has a wire that keeps it in place.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Dont worry intensified,angry steve is just jealous your taking me out tonight and not him.
:D hey everyones welcome, just gotta run when the bill hit the table. nothing like some winter ball busting, it finally snowed down here in the northeast.
i'm actually trying a carbon session 88 tomorrow with xo brakes on it. it is one light bike, it will be cool to see how compares to my 951.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Jealousy.is it a custom build or does it have the air assist 40 or it ???

Lots of snow here,lots of sideways plank time on the hill.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
i see shimano SLX brakes all over the place now, on XC/AM/DH rides .

I see the same thing with avids juicy series (not so much anymore more elixirs now)

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Jealousy.is it a custom build or does it have the air assist 40 or it ???

Lots of snow here,lots of sideways plank time on the hill.
it has the air assist fox 40, it feels lighter than my trail bike (stumpjumper). i cant even guess the price tag, one thing that i noticed is the pedals look very low to ground compared to my 951. Me and low pedals are not a good combo, otherwise its one sick ride and my first cruz on a carbon bike.

its been a good winter for dh so far here, the trails have minimal snow so it's a bit of a thrill, the ice patches are a bit spooky though.