Quantcast

What are you drinking

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Picked up a Camelbak MULE NV this winter on sale. Got all my normal stuff in there and still plenty of room for more. Haven't used it a ton yet but I really like it so far during the times that I have used it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
what's the deal with the NV vs. not NV? it's narrow gauge, whatever that means, but what does it mean? camelbak is getting a little SRAMy with their nomenclature.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
what's the deal with the NV vs. not NV? it's narrow gauge, whatever that means, but what does it mean? camelbak is getting a little SRAMy with their nomenclature.
From what Camelbak advertises the NV is just a high tech back panel that vents air better.

http://www.camelbak.com/nv

Haven't used it in extreme heat (nor will I since I live in Rochester) but it does seem to vent air nicely.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I can't believe people are that concerned about my questions on hydration packs, but I just ordered a raptor 10. That should be perfect and was on sale.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
EDIT: I think I have the synchro 10.. I did have a genius moment a few years ago when I realized I could simply take my jacket and zip it over my pack, turn the sleeves inside out, as if my pack was a torso, thereby shedding the layer and not using any pack-space to do so, while still benefiting from the pockets on the jacket.

And I'm drinking Bernheim Original.

Last edited:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I have an original Osprey Raptor 10 (without the hip pockets and bottom pocket). I only use it for longer rides as it's just too big for a normal 10-15 mile rip. It's nice, but overbuilt and heavy. Sure, it's durable, but it weighs too much even when empty. Plus, as mentioned, it rides high and doesn't stay put, always banging the back of my head no matter how tight it's strapped down. It's only useful for me when I want to carry a full three liters of water, a sandwich and a beer for a longer ride. I use it more for hiking than for riding these days.

Last year I picked up a USWE F3 Pro Enduro. It's awesome. Probably because it's pro and enduro at the same time. It uses a chest harness in place of the usual backpack style straps and waistband, which is much more secure. It doesn't bounce, even when full. With some creative packing, I can still fit a windbreaker, beer, snacks, pump, tube and tools. The only limit is water capacity.

I have an original Osprey Raptor 10 (without the hip pockets and bottom pocket). I only use it for longer rides as it's just too big for a normal 10-15 mile rip. It's nice, but overbuilt and heavy. Sure, it's durable, but it weighs too much even when empty. Plus, as mentioned, it rides high and doesn't stay put, always banging the back of my head no matter how tight it's strapped down. It's only useful for me when I want to carry a full three liters of water, a sandwich and a beer for a longer ride. I use it more for hiking than for riding these days.

Last year I picked up a USWE F3 Pro Enduro. It's awesome. Probably because it's pro and enduro at the same time. It uses a chest harness in place of the usual backpack style straps and waistband, which is much more secure. It doesn't bounce, even when full. With some creative packing, I can still fit a windbreaker, beer, snacks, pump, tube and tools. The only limit is water capacity.

Weighs too much simply doesn't count if you consider it as a percentage of total system weight for you, bike, and gear.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So rei apparently said "fu" to my order and I'm back looking. Does the PRO ENDURO fit well? Looks like a koala hug on your back

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I took this picture after I read the thread title, but before I actually opened the thread... posting it anyways

IMG_3900.JPG

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Piggybacking off of this hydration pack thread...

Anyone out there switched to the fanny pack thing instead of wearing a backpack? I'm seeing them more and more in pics and vids around the interwebz. I still want to keep spare tube, misc tools, water, etc with me but get tired of wearing a backpack. Here's a link of what I'm talking about...
https://www.rei.com/product/126494/dakine-hot-laps-2l-waistpack
i've made the switch. never looking back.

in fact, i'm about to install an EDC from one up in my steerer tube. that combined with a bottle cage will free me from packs altogether on short rides.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Piggybacking off of this hydration pack thread...

Anyone out there switched to the fanny pack thing instead of wearing a backpack? I'm seeing them more and more in pics and vids around the interwebz. I still want to keep spare tube, misc tools, water, etc with me but get tired of wearing a backpack. Here's a link of what I'm talking about...
https://www.rei.com/product/126494/dakine-hot-laps-2l-waistpack
I ride with one. Won't go back for short to medium rides.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
i've made the switch. never looking back.

in fact, i'm about to install an EDC from one up in my steerer tube. that combined with a bottle cage will free me from packs altogether on short rides.
Yeah. I’ve gone full tube-strapped EDC retard with a water bottle.

I still wear an evoc “enduro” fanny pack without the bladder to have somewhere to stash a rain layer. And to carry a first aid kit. I actually used it a couple times lately so karma points for me!
6774F014-597E-4179-BFFA-91277BDE8E7F.jpeg

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah. I’ve gone full tube-strapped EDC retard with a water bottle.

I still wear an evoc “enduro” fanny pack without the bladder to have somewhere to stash a rain layer. And to carry a first aid kit. I actually used it a couple times lately so karma points for me!
my car came with a valet key (regular key, no electronic keyfob anything) i'm gonna be cutting the head/handle part of it down to fit in the lower storage container. nothing in pockets either!