Quantcast

What are you listening to!?!

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
narlus said:
what's the deal w/ Dream Theater? are they a prog-type band?

Oh yeah... prog to the max.... GREAT musicans. There vocalist tho... Hes talented, but god is he annoying. Sounds like he needs to grow a pair. I got into them when I started playing the drums, Mike Portnoy, the drummer is siiiiiiiick.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
=[Stinky]= said:
Oh yeah... prog to the max.... GREAT musicans. There vocalist tho... Hes talented, but god is he annoying. Sounds like he needs to grow a pair. I got into them when I started playing the drums, Mike Portnoy, the drummer is siiiiiiiick.
I like Dream Theater a lot as well. Dpeaking of prog. rock, have you heard Umphrey's McGee? Check them out. (Might be to "jammy" for your tastes though.)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ROCKLAND said:
The guy was nutty as all getout.
indeed.

you know he spent time in an insane asylum, right?

he did that to beat a pot rap, but i think he didn't come out the same way he went in. his songwriting subjects certainly changed quite dramatically.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
narlus said:
indeed.

you know he spent time in an insane asylum, right?

he did that to beat a pot rap, but i think he didn't come out the same way he went in. his songwriting subjects certainly changed quite dramatically.
Yeah, I've read the stuff about him. Most of his music is not my typical fare, but he does get a fair amount of playtime here. Interesting guy for shure.

How's this for a stylistic departure: next up in cue Nausea - Extinction

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not sure about Nausea, but they sound like a metal/grindcore band?

i've got Greg Weeks on right now, excellent song ("Unsettled by the Sun").

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
just got a stack of music in the mail...yo la tengo 3cd set, keiji haino 2lp, gibson bros 7", V3 7", black merda cd, kemialliset ystavat cd, homemade jandek comp on cdr, pink floyd boot....yeah, i'll be busy for a while.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
2000 Phantom Regiment - Rite of Spring

up next, 199? Madison Scouts - Jesus Christ Superstar. woohoo!

then 2000 Cavaliers - Niagra Falls
then 2000 Blue Devils - _______
then...oh yeah...1996 Madison Scouts - A Drum Corps Fan's Dream, Part Dos.

my nipples are getting hard.

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
krazydher1 said:
killswitch
unearth
norma jean l
hatebreed
martyr ad
david grey
foreigner
38 special
styx
moe
Nice... your 420th post. Anywho rock out with your cock out to some killswitch. Alive and barely breathing is my fave album.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
priceseliger14 said:
All of 50 Cents new abulm and The Game
anyone been reading the comic strip The Boondocks recently? it's been pretty funny. :D

right now i've got some Spoon on (GBV preceded it, bowie to follow)

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
narlus said:
just got a stack of music in the mail...yo la tengo 3cd set, keiji haino 2lp, gibson bros 7", V3 7", black merda cd, kemialliset ystavat cd, homemade jandek comp on cdr, pink floyd boot....yeah, i'll be busy for a while.
I'd be interested to hear your opinion of Jandek. I've only heard of him, never heard him, but he seems pretty interesting to say the least. I have quite a taste for lofi blues, too. Anyone who likes dirty blues ever listen to Junior Kimbrough? He's still in heavy rotation months after getting "You Better Run".

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
did jr kimbrough die recently? i recall reading a recent issue of either Mojo or Uncut (both excellent UK-based music (and some film/book) mags) about a tribute record which was issued.

here is the info (sounds good):
Sunday Nights: The Songs of Junior Kimbrough Tracklisting :

1. You Better Run (version #1) – Iggy And The Stooges
2. Sad Days Lonely Nights – Spiritualized
3. Meet Me In the City – Blues Explosion
4. Done Got Old – Heartless Bastards
5. My Mind is Rambling – The Black Keys
6. I’m Leaving – The Fiery Furnaces
7. I Feel Good Again – Pete Yorn
8. Do the Romp – Cat Power & Entrance
9. All Night Long – Mark Lanegan
10. Release Me – Thee Shams
11. Done Got Old – Jim White
12. Lord Have Mercy On Me – Outrageous Cherry
13. Pull Your Clothes Off – Whitey Kirst
14. I’m In Love With You – Jack Oblivion
15. Burn In Hell – The Ponys
14. You Better Run (version #2) – Iggy And The Stooges

jandek is an odd beast. i probably 1st starting getting some records from him back in the early 90s, when they were still $5 a piece and in print (should stockpiled). i've probably got 6 or 7 lps and a few cds; the guy who made the comp for me chose stuff i don't have. i can't say jandek is an everyday listening experience for me (or even monthly), but the world's definitely a better place w/ him in it.

pretty shocking news when he played scotland this past year (for those unfamiliar w/ jandek, he's self-released about 40-50 records/cds since 1980 or so, and has never played live or done an interview. he was kinda like the music sasquatch; people weren't even sure if it wasn't a big hoax. then he played unannounced at the aforementioned festival a few months ago).

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
narlus said:
did jr kimbrough die recently? i recall reading a recent issue of either Mojo or Uncut (both excellent UK-based music (and some film/book) mags) about a tribute record which was issued.

here is the info (sounds good):
Sunday Nights: The Songs of Junior Kimbrough Tracklisting :

1. You Better Run (version #1) – Iggy And The Stooges
2. Sad Days Lonely Nights – Spiritualized
3. Meet Me In the City – Blues Explosion
4. Done Got Old – Heartless Bastards
5. My Mind is Rambling – The Black Keys
6. I’m Leaving – The Fiery Furnaces
7. I Feel Good Again – Pete Yorn
8. Do the Romp – Cat Power & Entrance
9. All Night Long – Mark Lanegan
10. Release Me – Thee Shams
11. Done Got Old – Jim White
12. Lord Have Mercy On Me – Outrageous Cherry
13. Pull Your Clothes Off – Whitey Kirst
14. I’m In Love With You – Jack Oblivion
15. Burn In Hell – The Ponys
14. You Better Run (version #2) – Iggy And The Stooges

jandek is an odd beast. i probably 1st starting getting some records from him back in the early 90s, when they were still $5 a piece and in print (should stockpiled). i've probably got 6 or 7 lps and a few cds; the guy who made the comp for me chose stuff i don't have. i can't say jandek is an everyday listening experience for me (or even monthly), but the world's definitely a better place w/ him in it.

pretty shocking news when he played scotland this past year (for those unfamiliar w/ jandek, he's self-released about 40-50 records/cds since 1980 or so, and has never played live or done an interview. he was kinda like the music sasquatch; people weren't even sure if it wasn't a big hoax. then he played unannounced at the aforementioned festival a few months ago).
Yeah, I'd heard about Junior Kimbrough's passing shortly after I started listening to him. Apparently, his famous Juke Joint burned to the ground with all of his personal stuff in it, and he died shortly thereafter. Among the bands on the tribute album are the Heartless Bastards, who I had the priviledge of seeing (opened for Split Lip Rayfield - all y'all need to check them out) recently. There album is currently in heavy rotation. I really like it, but it falls a little short of their awesome live show. The Heartless Bastards, as well as Junior Kimbrough, are on the Fat Possum label, they're putting out the tribute album. I'll have to try and track down some Jandek songs.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
narlus, I read somewhere that there's a Jandek DVD coming out that's supposed to sort of explore the "legend" of Jandek. I can't remember what it's called, I'll have to look for it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Enginerd A2 said:
narlus, I read somewhere that there's a Jandek DVD coming out that's supposed to sort of explore the "legend" of Jandek. I can't remember what it's called, I'll have to look for it.
there was a documentary done called Jandek on Corwood (which is the name of his label) that was shown at sundance and made the art house rounds too (i think it played at coolidge corner here in boston). there's also a DVD coming out of that show he did in glasgow.

PM yr mailing address.