mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I started listening to punk before I knew it was punk. First Concert I ever went to was the New York Dolls at the Santa Monica Civic. I want to say 1971 maybe 72. Blew my mind. Shits a blur from all the mind bending drugs I did back then. But I do remember seeing live: the dolls, pandoras, anthrax, black flag, angry samoans, PIL. and of course the guys from my high school the "Surf Punks". There are probably others but I am missing many years of memories from drugs and TBIs from bike crashes

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I started listening to punk before I knew it was punk. First Concert I ever went to was the New York Dolls at the Santa Monica Civic. I want to say 1971 maybe 72. Blew my mind. Shits a blur from all the mind bending drugs I did back then. But I do remember seeing live: the dolls, pandoras, anthrax, black flag, angry samoans, PIL. and of course the guys from my high school the "Surf Punks". There are probably others but I am missing many years of memories from drugs and TBIs from bike crashes
If you haven’t listened to it yet, and you’re a podcast listener, check out NoDogs In Space. They did a season of punk history podcasts. Extensive multi-episode coverage of a few key bands, but always connecting them to tons of other bands and giving context. I think the hosts are slightly annoying, but not enough to stop me from listening to everything they put out.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
in the early 80s I used to hang out in the alley behind the Pearl Street Grill in Denver, too young to get in and didn't have the money anyway; Husker Du & The Minute Men are the ones stuck with me the longest.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I have been going through this list (well top 100ish anyway) with my wife. It is hard not to come away with a feeling of a bit of slightly overplayed (even for me) woke agenda. Here are some things we said, in rough order of frequency;

- "That's a great album but it's not/no fucking way the best track." There are a few egregious mistakes there. Too many actually.
- "More Beatles?" Day in the life is in the list, should have left it there. In fact in the top 100 of all time for a single band to be featured more than once is bit...
- "What about the early 90s?"
- "What about [entire ignored genre of music]?"
- "That's not his/her/their best track".

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Some other random observations;

Lauryn Hill, 'Doo Wop (That Thing)' - Should be 'Ready or Not'.
Radiohead, 'Idioteque' - Surely Creep or No Surprises.
Too much Beatles and Stones. Beatles; Day in the Life, Stones; Gimme Shelter (which is in there somewhere) both marginal for top 100 all time...
Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg, 'Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang' - Again, not the best on that album, and also surely this should be something off Snoop's Doggystyle anyway, another desert island disc with those Dre beats.
Joni Mitchell, 'A Case of You' - Blue is just an absolute classic album, Case of You is good but what about all the other songs? Last Time I Saw Richard? River?
Kanye West feat. Pusha T, 'Runaway' — OK... But Pablo and Dark Twisted are the better albums.
Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own' - A good nod to the Euros but there is so much depth here; Gouryella, Tiesto, Armin, Piers Baron just off the top of my head... So many Germans and Scandis to choose from... Also this is essentially I Think We’re Alone Now but just a bit harder.
Beyoncé feat. Jay-Z, 'Crazy in Love' - Nah. Hold up. Single Ladies.
The Beatles, 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' - Just fuck off.
Fleetwood Mac, 'Dreams' - Rumours is one of the best albums of all time, but of their whole catalog? Sarah, Gypsy, motherfucking Landslide?
Missy Elliott, 'Get Ur Freak On' - A banger for sure, but top 100 all time?
Public Enemy, 'Fight the Power' - Meh. There is better LA protest rap.
Aretha Franklin, 'Respect' - Tracy Chapman - 'Talkin' bout a Revolution'?

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
It's so easy to criticise something that was written purely to be criticised. But it sure is fun. Listened to a lot of music this evening which was very nice.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The list is wrong because this song isn't at the top but I'll give it a look over and listen to some stuff I've never heard before:headbang:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
The list is wrong because this song isn't at the top but I'll give it a look over and listen to some stuff I've never heard before:headbang:
They have a near twin, or maybe melodic cousin in Danish metal band Volbeat, whose track ‘For Evigt’ is in at least my top 150, albeit that particular track is less on the punky end of things than your link. They also have a cover of Enter Sandman with Lars actually in it. That’s great too.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Robyn, 'Dancing on My Own' - A good nod to the Euros but there is so much depth here; Gouryella, Tiesto, Armin, Piers
While I think Robyn is well deservingly on that list, I also have to agree with you that there is so much missing.
Especially one of the best trance songs EVER:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'd think most people wouldn't know who Eels are but would have seen at least a couple of movies with an Eels song in it, God their songs are in a ton of movies!