Quantcast

What are your bike superstitions?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I am really careful driving through the forest to our jumps, making absolutely sure I don't hit one of those damned hyperactive squirrels. I feel that running down an animal is the biggest jinx ever when I'm going to launch.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Never, ever, ever say any or all of the following:
- Hey, watch this
- Just one last run
- This is my last one
- Get the camera out
- What's the worst that can happen?

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
Before a race run I have at least one beer, every time I didn't have one bad things/results have happened and the ole drop a new helmet on the ground trick too.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Its weird, but before any DH run I unstrap my gloves and re-strap them twice each hand. Don't know when I picked it up or how but its turned into a OCD tic.

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
Whenever I hike a bike I always push the bike from the left side. I don't know why but I have done it for the last 6 years that way and whenever I push up on the right side I get the jitters. Weird indeed. Also never call last run...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Never, ever, ever say any or all of the following:
- Just one last run
- This is my last one
This has proven to be a guarantee for disaster for me. Now if I think it I'm done for the day.
words to live by
x4.

Before the last run I'll always say "let's do 2 more runs" with a big wink.

I've said "I can't believe this frame hasn't folded in half yet", but it continues to hold up. So, I beat superstition on that one.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I have to stretch my neck (all the way back, all the way forward, all the way left and all the way right) if I'm in the starting gate and the timing guy give me a time warning (ie "15 seconds...").

If I don't, I'm not relaxed and I got straight to 1st race ever butterflies in my stomach nervousness. If I do- good to go!

Matchew

Monkey
May 26, 2006
NH / Mass (ugh)
NEVER call last run, goes for skiing too.

I always check any tree or area I stop near for bee nests, nothing will ruin my ride more than getting swarmed. Always seems to happen when I get a mechanical.:mad:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Words to live by. Even if it is your last run, just say, "maybe a only a few more after this. Lets see how I/we feel and play it by ear.":thumb:
The second I think it, I pack up my gear and ride home. If I'm at the top of a DH, I take the nancy line down. If you're tired enough to think it, you're too tired to ride.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
DH/Slalom: Run odd race numbers upside down, wear a fresh jersey for race runs

FR: Never ride up to the lip of a jump before you hit it for the first time, don't look down on ladders, blind runs are the best runs

Road: Never even think about flat tires

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
ive almost always kept a feather in my helmet, when it falls out you always crash. if you see one next to a jump rethink what your about to do or move on. if it falls out when sitting at the top of something its time to call it quits. its the weirdest thing when ever i see one sitting at the top of a run i go down and i go down hard.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
NEVER call last run, goes for skiing too.

I always check any tree or area I stop near for bee nests, nothing will ruin my ride more than getting swarmed. Always seems to happen when I get a mechanical.:mad:
I got stung MID RUN at Highland Saturday. Wide open jumpy section out in the open at full speed too. Huge WTF moment.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I was chasing my buddy down a fast hill trail and he smacked a bush full of yellow jackets. I came through at top speed and three of them landed on me and stung at the same time. I instantly threw the bike and ragdolled. Got the ****ers off though.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Kind of impressive they can catch bikes at full speed. Like those damned deerfly. Youre hauling ass and look over and there's three of them flying in formation next to you, ready for lunch.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Put on left sock, then right sock. Put on left shoe, then right shoe. Tighten left shoe straps, then right shoe straps. Triple check that I have keys in hydro-bag after checking that doors are locked. Kiss Alaina's locket..........

Then try to ride like the above-mentioned bees/flies are after my phat ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I like to find a stripper and do blow off her boobs before a race run.
And I have a strange thing about needing to put a clothes pin on my wiener before I go DJ'ing. Don't ask.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
I definitely agree with calling the last run... But what really fuks you over is if the liftie calls the last run as you're loading your bike on the lift! :(