Regular = $2.25gal
Mid-grade = $2.35gal
Super Plus grade = $2.45gal

This really sucks!!! It cost me almost $60 to fill up my truck!:angry:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
$1.99 for Premium. The only thing that pisses me off is that when I go somewhere with a group of people I always end up driving for one reason or another. The gas prices don't piss me off as much as piling the miles on my car and the smells that MTB'ers leave in my car.:angry:

Some schmuck left a nasty wet sock underneath my seat. It took me two days to find what the hell was stinking up my car.

Robin

Chimp
Nov 7, 2003
Bah! dry your eyes!
86.9 pence/litre in the UK for Super unleaded, which works out at....brace yourselves...

$5.75 / gallon

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by Jozz
98.5 a litter in $can, so about 3.0 a gallon in US money... :dead:
Just this past weekend up at Whistler I paid $1.05liter.....OUCH!!!

It wasn't even the expensive stuff!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
All American's complain about gas prices despite the fact that we have some of the cheapest gas in the world :D

I believe it's ~$1.83/gal for regular here in NH.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Originally posted by binary visions
All American's complain about gas prices despite the fact that we have some of the cheapest gas in the world :D
we also drive some of the least fuel effecient vehicles.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

I believe it's ~$1.83/gal for regular here in NH.
Not only that, but it's significantly cheaper in inflation adjusted dollars than it was 25 years ago........

-S.S.-

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
And don't forget some areas also have some really crappy public transportation.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I just filled up a little van in the UK for $86.00 US...

its about $5.40 US/(approx)gal (4 liters) here :eek:

thank God Im on 'expenses' :cool:

$2.02 per gallon in the states??? Stop whining! :devil:

than again, its about 30cents/gal in Bahrain

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Freak
Undoubtedly.

But I bet if our gas prices rocketed to the prices in, say, Europe, our public transportation would get better in a hurry...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Undoubtedly.

But I bet if our gas prices rocketed to the prices in, say, Europe, our public transportation would get better in a hurry...
Either that, or people would get off their fat asses and ride bikes.

No, never mind, they would just complain until the government fixed everything for them.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Undoubtedly.

And until we get better public transportation, people like me will complain;) :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Reg = $2.17 in Shoreline. Costs me a little over $30 to fill up which is about once every week and a half.

That is only one I use right now. It's up .10 from Sunday. We found diesel for $2.03 this weekend and filled up both tanks in our other truck.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by Freak
americans don't want better public transportation. they want to be in their car, alone.

and even in places in europe where there isn't decent public transport options, you'd never see an 8 cyl pickup truck. ever. at least i've never seen one.

in terms of paying for gasoline, americans have definitely had it way easier than most of the western world, and still do.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by narlus
americans don't want better public transportation. they want to be in their car, alone.
I seriously doubt that people would shell out $5+/gallon for their big pickup trucks and such. It's true that cars are a preferred mode of transportation, but I think that cheap gas in Europe would cause more of them to take their cars, alone. I think it's more of a financial thing than a cultural difference.

Just my opinion though.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I seriously doubt that people would shell out $5+/gallon for their big pickup trucks and such. It's true that cars are a preferred mode of transportation, but I think that cheap gas in Europe would cause more of them to take their cars, alone. I think it's more of a financial thing than a cultural difference.

Just my opinion though.
no, i think you're right for the most part. as nations get wealthier, car ownership increases (and people's tastes in cars goes up too). if someone from say, milan, moved to the US, they'd likely get a US car (ie, some 6 cyl car which would be considered huge back home), not some 1.3L nissan that they might have driven back in italy.

there are 5 series BMWs w/ 1.8L engines over here. it's not just the price of petrol which drives this. the size of the roads, the cost of registration and insurance (in ireland, the size of the engine also plays into insurance costs), etc. people learn to make do w/ less. america is definitely spoiled, consumer-wise.

also, i think that if you polled 1000 people and gave them a choice between a 45min door-to-door commute via public transport vs a 75 minute drive, the majority of the people would still drive. they want the independence and convenience a private car affords. hell, how many people even carpool in the states?

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted

Just my opinion though.

And look at the way the US is built compared to most places in Europe...

Completely spread out.. we basically HAVE to drive everywhere... to far to ride or walk to even the grocery store in some areas. I hate the way the US is built.. sprawling almost like a virus killing everything(land) we touch. What's gonna happen when we over build on all that land and have no place left to go or anything left to do? We'll still have to drive everywhere and pay even more!

I understand inflation and all that, but when have you ever seen a gallon of milk lets say jump in price so fast and so much in such a short time period. If it truely was because of inflation it would have been going up much slower and gradualy.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY

and even in places in europe where there isn't decent public transport options, you'd never see an 8 cyl pickup truck. ever. at least i've never seen one.

in terms of paying for gasoline, americans have definitely had it way easier than most of the western world, and still do.
Ive only seen a couple 'big SUV's' here in the UK... stood out like sore thumbs,..... hmmm come to think of it... I havnt seen a single H2 :p

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

I saw a Suburban in Norway on our 4-month European vacation back in '99. Was the only "big" personal-type truck I can remember seeing.

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
milk isn't controlled by a cartel, and no wars have been waged over it.

i totally agree re: the sprawl. the first time i was in europe ('99), i couldn't believe how beautiful the tuscan landscape was. we were overlooking the valley from Montepulciano (a town older than our country by far), and all i could think of was, damn - if this was america you'd see strip malls, housing developments and roads as far as the eye could see, not verdant farmland and rolling woodlands.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK

Just my opinion though.
Increasing the gas price only really stops poor people from using a car. Every one else just pays and perhaps looks a little more carefully at the mpg of their next car purchace.

How good the public transport is doesn't appear to matter for a lot of people until they get to the point that using the car is too expensive and they have to start looking for an alternative.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by D_D
Increasing the gas price only really stops poor people from using a car. Every one else just pays and perhaps looks a little more carefully at the mpg of their next car purchace.
I disagree. Increasing the gas price between $0.50 and $0.75 per gallon (like we are now) stops the poorer people from driving. If gas prices went up to $5+ per gallon, and it costs $75-100 to fill up your average car, a LOT of people would stop driving, or start carpooling, or at least start buying extremely fuel efficient cars.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
in the UK (well, northern ireland at least), it does cost about that much to fill a typical car. $100US for a full tank in my passat. people still drive, but you are right; only rich people drive bmws, mercedes, or range rovers.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003

i totally agree re: the sprawl. the first time i was in europe ('99), i couldn't believe how beautiful the tuscan landscape was. we were overlooking the valley from Montepulciano (a town older than our country by far), and all i could think of was, damn - if this was america you'd see strip malls, housing developments and roads as far as the eye could see, not verdant farmland and rolling woodlands.
Go to rural Iowa. Or Missouri. Or Tennessee. Or Illinois. Or Ohio. Or Indiana. Plenty of verdant farmland & rolling woodlands.

Of course it doesn't compare to the Tuscan countryside......... :)

-S.S.-

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I disagree. Increasing the gas price between $0.50 and $0.75 per gallon (like we are now) stops the poorer people from driving. If gas prices went up to $5+ per gallon, and it costs $75-100 to fill up your average car, a LOT of people would stop driving, or start carpooling, or at least start buying extremely fuel efficient cars.
That will happen but it will be at a fair bit more that $5 a gallon. Generally people will stop driving when they can no longer afford it. As the increases tend to be pretty slow most people end up with an efficent car as they approach the point where gas becomes too expensive.

Look at the alternatives, if you can't get there on foot or by bike you have to use public transport.
You could easerly end up getting up for work an hour earlier and returning an hour later if your employer won't let you change your hours to match the train or bus timetable.
It isn't much cheaper than a car, it's crowded and how many time is you boss going to put up with you being several hours late because the bus/train didn't turn up.

Most people are prepared to pay a lot of money to keep the car and avoid all that hassle.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta

also, i think that if you polled 1000 people and gave them a choice between a 45min door-to-door commute via public transport vs a 75 minute drive, the majority of the people would still drive. they want the independence and convenience a private car affords. hell, how many people even carpool in the states?
Heck no, I'd take the shorter commute via public transportation!!! Shorter commute plus not having to drive....double bonus :)

And although carpooling sounds great, the reallity for some is that they have jobs that they can't depend on what time they get out each day, let alone coordinate that with someone else. Yes, there's someone in my office who lives a few blocks from me, but she can't come into the office at 7am. (In fact, I'm one of 3 or 4 people who are acutally here at that hour!)

And if I could afford a hybrid car right now, trust me...I'd be driving one (but I'm stuck upside down on a stupid suv thanks to my ex :angry: )

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!

Werd.
Not to mention those strip malls will be vacant within 2 years of construction. :rolleyes:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Last week, I drove by the gas station and it said $1.82. The next morning, the same station said $1.92. This week, up more to $1.97 Gas is a necessary evil, and I pay it regardless of the price. However, how come when a truckload of fuel comes in at a lot lower price, (IE price drops) you NEVER see the price go done $.10 a gallon over night? :confused:

I wish I could ride to work some days. It's too far, and I don't own a road bike. Doing almost 20 miles each way with only a 32t up front would take to long. It would turn a 8 hour day into a 11. :dead:

I would gladly do public transportation if it was available. I would much rather read the paper on the way to work instead of driving in commuting traffic every day. Too bad there is none where I live. :(