Quantcast

What are your gas prices lately??

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Originally posted by narlus
hell, how many people even carpool in the states?
I carpooled with someone for 2 years. She just got laid off last week. Now I'm on my own again. We have HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes here which are almost NEVER congested. I'm going to miss using them. When I started this job 3 years ago my commute averaged 45 minutes. Now a solo drive takes over an hour 1 way. :eek:

Now I'm selling my house and moving closer to the city. Maybe I can get one of those Highlander hybrid cars next year.

Last time I filled up: $2.05 for premium. That is the first time I've EVER paid over $2.00 a gallon.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Originally posted by slcpunk21
I understand inflation and all that, but when have you ever seen a gallon of milk lets say jump in price so fast and so much in such a short time period. If it truely was because of inflation it would have been going up much slower and gradualy.
A gallon of milk here just jumped $1 in the last couple of weeks. :eek:

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
And although carpooling sounds great, the reallity for some is that they have jobs that they can't depend on what time they get out each day, let alone coordinate that with someone else. Yes, there's someone in my office who lives a few blocks from me, but she can't come into the office at 7am. (In fact, I'm one of 3 or 4 people who are acutally here at that hour!)
That is totally true. I don't punch a clock anymore. I work longer hours when needed, and often don't have any warning. Literally, I can come in expecting a slow day, and end up working 10-12 hours. It happened yesterday as a matter of fact.

That is what was great about my old carpooler buddy. She worked in the next cube and lived 2 miles from me. We had the same hours even if it turned out to be a crazy day.

I'll never be able to find someone who can work with my schedule again.

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Originally posted by Tweek
Werd.
Not to mention those strip malls will be vacant within 2 years of construction. :rolleyes:
Ah yes, the Wal-mart effect. All the Wal-marts here turn into Halloween Express when they die. :rolleyes:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by HedgeHog
I carpooled with someone for 2 years. She just got laid off last week. Now I'm on my own again. We have HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes here which are almost NEVER congested. I'm going to miss using them. When I started this job 3 years ago my commute averaged 45 minutes. Now a solo drive takes over an hour 1 way. :eek:

Now I'm selling my house and moving closer to the city. Maybe I can get one of those Highlander hybrid cars next year.

Last time I filled up: $2.05 for premium. That is the first time I've EVER paid over $2.00 a gallon.
I had the tv on the other day and I was kinda watching this show on the new cars that are coming out...they said that in the US, 70% of cars for 2005 will be hybrids...including Suburbans, SUV's and big pick up trucks...and then the peeps at BMW one up'd the US with their new 2006's being hydro powered...

In San Francisco the other day the cheapest gas was 2.34 for the 87 octane...in the suburbs its about 2.17. I've heard that California's gas prices are higher than most areas because the state has more environmental laws that the oil companies have to comply with...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
$1.98 on Friday, $2.07 yesterday, $2.15 this morning. I was told by the people at the gas station that it should go up about 2 or 3 cents a day until Labor Day.

It cost me $24 to fill up one of my tanks on the truck. Good thing I only drive 2 miles to the train each day.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by jimmydean
$1.98 on Friday, $2.07 yesterday, $2.15 this morning. I was told by the people at the gas station that it should go up about 2 or 3 cents a day until Labor Day.

It cost me $24 to fill up one of my tanks on the truck. Good thing I only drive 2 miles to the train each day.
Please...PLEEEEAAASE tell me you meant MEMORIAL DAY...cuz Labor Day is like 4 months away...

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
Originally posted by dh girlie
70% of cars for 2005 will be hybrids...including Suburbans, SUV's and big pick up trucks...and then the peeps at BMW one up'd the US with their new 2006's being hydro powered...
70%!!??:eek:

Are you serious? I thought I was dreaming when I saw the Highlander hybrid. To actually have a wide selection would be awesome.

Did they discuss pricing of the hybrid vs. the "normal" cars?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by jimmydean
DOH! Got my lame holidays mixed up, thanks :D
Thank god...because according to my calculations there are 117 days until Labor Day...

117 days + .02 per gallon = 2.34 per gallon which comes out to 4.51 per gallon if you are adding onto 2.17 for the current price per gallon...furthermore...if you take the 117 days, multiply it by your other proposal of +.03 per gallon per day till Labor Day...that comes out to 3.51 per gallon, add that to the current price of 2.17 that's 5.68 a gallon...:D That's a lot of got damned money for gas and it would cost a fortune to go to Northstar to ride that swanky bike...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)

Are you serious? I thought I was dreaming when I saw the Highlander hybrid. To actually have a wide selection would be awesome.

that's what they said...70%...it was one of those shows that they were showing the new cars and concept cars...they were showing that new bad ass looking mustang gt fastback. Not sure on price but they definitely said Suburbans, big pick ups, suv's...now if they do that...what are all the hippies going to blame for supporting terrorism?:D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I had the tv on the other day and I was kinda watching this show on the new cars that are coming out...they said that in the US, 70% of cars for 2005 will be hybrids...including Suburbans, SUV's and big pick up trucks...and then the peeps at BMW one up'd the US with their new 2006's being hydro powered...
I'm not buying it... someone's got their "facts" confused. I'm not saying it's you... but somewhere between the people doing the research for the show and your post, something has gotten messed up.

The 2005 model year is less than 6 months away... no way are 70% of the vehicles offered to the US market for 2005 going to be hybrids. And hydrogen power vehicles are being toyed around with by lots of manufactures... but most everythign I've read is saying it's going to be an absolute minimum of 5 years (and probably closer to 10 years) before hydrogen power is a viable option. It may very well be the best option, but it's still a long ways off.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

Whoever came up with that 70% figure on the show is, frankly, full of $hit. 2005 is this upcoming model year. I can't believe that they would quote a figure like that and expect people to believe it.

-S.S.-

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by jacksonpt
I'm not buying it... someone's got their "facts" confused. I'm not saying it's you... but somewhere between the people doing the research for the show and your post, something has gotten messed up.

The 2005 model year is less than 6 months away... no way are 70% of the vehicles offered to the US market for 2005 going to be hybrids. And hydrogen power vehicles are being toyed around with by lots of manufactures... but most everythign I've read is saying it's going to be an absolute minimum of 5 years (and probably closer to 10 years) before hydrogen power is a viable option. It may very well be the best option, but it's still a long ways off.
I thought that was kinda weird too since 2005 is just around the corner, and I would think that would be huge news that we would've already heard...also, I was sick and fading in and out while watching...so it could be me who f'd up, but I'm sure that's what they said...I wasn't THAT out of it...

I wonder if they mean the cars for the 2005 concept cars?

U

uhkuhjillion

Don't forget that it is not just how much it costs to fill up your own car, Truckers buy gas too and if it costs them more to get the vegetables to the market, then they are going to charge more for the vegetables.

Los Angeles Gas Prices
Regular gas ranges from $2.11 to $2.65:eek:

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun

In San Francisco the other day the cheapest gas was 2.34 for the 87 octane...in the suburbs its about 2.17. I've heard that California's gas prices are higher than most areas because the state has more environmental laws that the oil companies have to comply with...
The CHEAPEST gas in this valley is 2.29......I believe Cali gas is more expensive due to the requirement to have MTBE in it (which is supposed to oxygenate). That's the stuff that gives out cancer when it leaks into ground water.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Originally posted by T-Dog
The CHEAPEST gas in this valley is 2.29......I believe Cali gas is more expensive due to the requirement to have MTBE in it (which is supposed to oxygenate). That's the stuff that gives out cancer when it leaks into ground water.
They don't use that in Nor Cal anymore...in fact, a lot of the gas stations around here have big signs that say NO MTBE...there must be something else that they use in lieu...

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
They don't use that in Nor Cal anymore...in fact, a lot of the gas stations around here have big signs that say NO MTBE...there must be something else that they use in lieu...
Ah so.....I thought there were lawsuits about it, and maybe they had to stop. When I lived in Ak, they put it in for the winter months only, but people were getting sick from fumes while pumping (no vapor extraction there) so no more.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Ah so.....I thought there were lawsuits about it, and maybe they had to stop. When I lived in Ak, they put it in for the winter months only, but people were getting sick from fumes while pumping (no vapor extraction there) so no more.
I think that MTBE was a substitute for plain old ethanol...... which apparently was expensive to ship to CA. At least that's the story I remember.

-S.S.-

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
2.39 here.:dead:

if the fricking tree huggers of the world would find something better to do(like go hump a spotted owl):rolleyes:, then we could start drilling up in Alaska and not be so dependant on the OPEC countries.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by DHRacer

if the fricking tree huggers of the world would find something better to do(like go hump a spotted owl):rolleyes:, then we could start drilling up in Alaska and not be so dependant on the OPEC countries.
Even if we drilled more in Alaska Opec could still manipulate the worlds petroleum prices. We need to work on both the supply and demand sides of the equation.

U

uhkuhjillion

MTBE was originally put into california fuel to help burn the gasoline more efficiently. But it is water soluble so it gets into the ground water and rivers and lakes, which is bad for wildlife and people, so they removed MTBE from the gas.

I've been told that MTBE is a byproduct of oil refining that the petrol companies had to deal with as waste. When they found they could throw it back in the gas to help it burn cleaner they were excited because they didn't have to pay for its disposal. But it didn't work out they way they hoped.

I'm not sure if they add anything to the gas to replace it yet.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by Westy
Even if we drilled more in Alaska Opec could still manipulate the worlds petroleum prices. We need to work on both the supply and demand sides of the equation.
I agree.....but drilling the ANWR would help out with the supply side, and create lotsa good paying, sorely needed jobs. (I don't mean to push this down a political road.)

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
I agree.....but drilling the ANWR would help out with the supply side, and create lotsa good paying, sorely needed jobs. (I don't mean to push this down a political road.)
Ewww and then when it all goes to hell we can have volunteers help clean up all the animals and figure out some way to fix the global disater.

Oh and not to mention how beautiful it will be to see roads into the mountains in Alaska! God I just can't wait! I really hope they coughcoughwreckcoughcough open alaska up for oil drilling! I mean I don't like nature anyways. Why not build homes up there too and put in a few industries or hell just knock it all down and put in a factory there too! I mean more jobs you know.. thats all that's important.

Here's an idea.. how about creating jobs to help research better buring motors.. or other forms of fuel.... nah that would make more sense.. I mean just drill .... tearing apart the natural areas is much more sensable. :rolleyes:

I mean it's funny how instead of more fuel efficent vehicles being created.. the efficency is actually going DOWN... less mpg... WTF does anyone need a 100,000lbs SUV for? Are their fat kids they need to drive around need that extra hauling power?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
$2.01 for 91. A tank was 34.00 to fill up the Passat. Whooopeee.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by DHRacer

I'm sure the people who live up in Valdez would all support you....

i remember my grandparents telling me they found out how to run cars on chicken poo back in the 40's but the oil corperations bought the patent, like they did with almost any other viable power source for a vehicle..... We're all slaves to the oil barons.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Skookum
I'm sure the people who live up in Valdez would all support you....

i remember my grandparents telling me they found out how to run cars on chicken poo back in the 40's but the oil corperations bought the patent, like they did with almost any other viable power source for a vehicle..... We're all slaves to the oil barons.
er, please provide a source. not of chicken poo, but of the story :eek:

the patent index is searchable, ya know...

http://www.uspto.gov/index.html

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=chicken+feces&FIELD1=&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=ptxt

searching for "chicken feces" yielded results, but not the mysterious patent in question :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Toshi
er, please provide a source. not of chicken poo, but of the story :eek:

the patent index is searchable, ya know...

http://www.uspto.gov/index.html

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=0&f=S&l=50&TERM1=chicken+feces&FIELD1=&co1=AND&TERM2=&FIELD2=&d=ptxt

searching for "chicken feces" yielded results, but not the mysterious patent in question :D
uhm they were my grandparents and their both gone now, so it will be a mystery!!!! I don't have the time nor the desire to authenticate the story and validate my suspicions on how crooked the oil companys are. If i did i'd have not time to ride bikes.:D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by Skookum
uhm they were my grandparents and their both gone now, so it will be a mystery!!!! I don't have the time nor the desire to authenticate the story and validate my suspicions on how crooked the oil companys are. If i did i'd have not time to ride bikes.:D
come on, i know you want to spend hours looking through chicken feces-related patents! :eek: :D