Quantcast

What AV software on Windows 11?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The McAfee subscription which came on my laptop has expired. They want $60 to renew for another 12 months.

What's anyone got as an alternative suggestion?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The McAfee subscription which came on my laptop has expired. They want $60 to renew for another 12 months.

What's anyone got as an alternative suggestion?
That's ok, it'll still run in the background hogging all your resources and you won't be able to remove it. Ever.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Oh I dislike dealing with McAfee at work and had only used defender on my last laptop. Just wondered what others thoughts were.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Speaking of defending from undeletable ransomware, how is Microsoft One drive not in this category? I recently acquired a new PC and that shit has taken over everything. It synced all my personal stuff that I manually transferred from the old computer without permissions, started demanding that I pay for more storage on the microsoft cloud, and when I removed it from One Drive, it also deleted stuff from the computer without telling me that was going to happen. Thank the @FSM i had backups, but holy balls does that feel super scammy. :mad:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Speaking of defending from undeletable ransomware, how is Microsoft One drive not in this category? I recently acquired a new PC and that shit has taken over everything. It synced all my personal stuff that I manually transferred from the old computer without permissions, started demanding that I pay for more storage on the microsoft cloud, and when I removed it from One Drive, it also deleted stuff from the computer without telling me that was going to happen. Thank the @FSM i had backups, but holy balls does that feel super scammy. :mad:
I recently had this problem at work where IT linked my one drive from my laptop to my ipad. Somehow in the process they decided to put “my documents” in the cloud. So im traveling on an airplane and attempt to open something in My Docs and it says i need to sign into one drive. Like wtf? The reason i put data in My Docs was specifically so I could access and work on things when I can’t connect to internet. Like the entire reason they gave me a laptop in the first place.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It sounds like you signed into Office 365 on that computer and it was set by default to sync desktop/pictures/documents?

1700246499649.png

I mean it sucks it synced to your Office account, but its balls rude that it deleted stuff when you removed OneDrive. I would perhaps check OneDrive online through a web browser - the missing files might be there.

OneDrive has another function where it will automatically remove data from your device, but it will look like the file is still there. It does this time on a time based scheduled (I believe) and also if you start to run low on space. This is what might have happened to @Jm_ ?

We use OneDrive here at work and its actually be so great for us IT nerds. No more worrying about what some Engineer has stored on their computer desktop, its all backed up. Oh Jimbo needs a new laptop? Sure here you go, just sign in and wait a few minutes and all your files will show up like magic.

But yeah like in @Jm_ 's case, if it asks you to authenticate or your company has some policy to do so periodically and you happen to be on a plane or somewhere without internet access, you're hosed (if the files have been "synced" off your device).

If on a windows computer, these options on folders/files can be helpful:
1700246600903.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had the same thing happen, and thankfully also had everything backed up. It did not delete anything that had not been uploaded to OneDrive even if in a synched folder

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Does SAAS really actually change anything? I mean if you read the terms and conditions of most software that you pay for, quite often it will tell you to scram and that you don't actually own it or the data that you put into it (sometimes).

A good example is Autocad. You could buy the software and license for it. You could hold them in your hands. But magically, they somehow did away with that and moved to name-based subscription services. That is there is the real kill list type stuff.

Ironically, most freeware or open-source stuff don't say those same things (obviously there are exceptions).