Quantcast

What beers are in YOUR Final Four?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Firestone Double Barrel Ale
Dekonik
A Harp and Guiness black and tan

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Duvel :-)clapping: 8.5% A.C:clapping: )
Hennipen (spelling may be wrong)
Sierra Nevada (Pale ale)
Yeungling

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
rochefort 8/10
aventinus weizen eisbock
fullers vintage ale
unibroue maudite / la terrible / trois pistoles / fin du monde (rotating preference du jour)

still waiting to try some of the acclaimed burly us ipa's & stouts (that are tragically unavailable up here). a beerhunting roadtrip may be in order. anybody know if there's any bellingham stores that inventory the good stuff?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
rochefort 8/10
aventinus weizen eisbock
fullers vintage ale
unibroue maudite / la terrible / trois pistoles / fin du monde (rotating preference du jour)

still waiting to try some of the acclaimed burly us ipa's & stouts (that are trajically unnavailable up here). a beerhunting roadtrip may be in order. anybody know if there's any bellingham stores that inventory the good stuff?
Bottleworks in Seattle (well...kinda north-ish Seattle. Neighborhood called Fremont.) They have (I believe) the largest beer selection in the state...if not the country....it's nuts to just walk around in there. I've spent waaaaaay too much money there all at once. Enjoyed every bit of it though...

http://www.bottleworks.com/default.htm

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Bottleworks in Seattle (well...kinda north-ish Seattle. Neighborhood called Fremont.) They have (I believe) the largest beer selection in the state...if not the country....it's nuts to just walk around in there. I've spent waaaaaay too much money there all at once. Enjoyed every bit of it though...

http://www.bottleworks.com/default.htm
Thanks for the heads up! Somehow I never noticed that in all the times I've driven past there. I'll have to check that out sometime.

Tom Church

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
Beacon, NY
Avery - The Maharaja (IPA)
Caricole - Nostradmus (Belgian Brown)
Stone - 2004 Vertical (Saison)
Dogfish Head - World Wide Stout
and one more...
North Coast - 2004 Old Stock Ale (barley wine)

Did I mention that I worked at a beer store that had 1500 beers for while? And that I brew?

Tom

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
So many to choose from...

Odell 90 Shilling - Yes, a Fort Collins beer that isn't Fat Tire
Stone Arrogant Bastard
North Coast Old Rasputin
Mac and Jacks African Amber
lots of others too, just depends on what I'm in the mood for

jaffro

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Seattle
I forgot one, the home brew that a friend and I made to taste just like 90 Shilling because they don't sell it here in the Northwest.... very tasty and very alcoholic. Also, anyone ever had New Belgium's 1554? Damn fine beer that'll kick you squah in the nuts.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'm sitting here watching Moonraker and enjoying a Trout River Rainbow Red Ale. It is good. Could well be in the top 4.

What first came to mind was Red Hook ESB. I was exposed to it in Seattle and it has many good associations. Plus it tastes good.

I've also taken a real liking to Harpoon IPA. Got a couple of those left too...

And now I've forgotten which, but Smuttynose Shoals Pale Ale is really good. But it might have been their IPA.

Some of the local beers are good around here, but never as interesting as the ones you can get in New England. What is it about them? Are they just way hoppy? Am I a hop whore?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So many choices, I don't even know where to start. And of course, these are just my CURRENT Final Four, these have changed over the years and will likely change again. In no particular order:

• Titan IPA - Okay I'm a little biased because Great Divide Brewing Co. is a client of mine, but I love me some IPA's and this one is my legit favorite... it's just SO damn tasty and hoppy and good.
  • Pabst Blue Ribbon - I know it's all hipster to pick PBR, but for domestic clear beer I'd rather drink this than any of the other "big" breweries offerings, and it tastes DAMN good after a long day in the saddle, and is infinitely drinkable.
  • Stella Artois - It's the Coors Light of Belgium, but I like it these days. Oddly enough, the first few Stella's I tried were just so-so to me at the time, but I think I'm getting a taste for pilsners lately.
  • Samurai - Another Great Divide brew, made predominantly with rice. Tastes a lot like a wheat beer, just not so... wheaty. Smooth and slightly sweet, a great summertime beer.

Alright, those have been the favs over the last few months, but the winter is here so I expect this to change again. Maybe some Old Ruffian Barley Wine Style Ale? Hibernation is always a treat in the cold weather, Sam Adams Winter Lager is nice, and New Belgium's 2 Below has promise.

We'll see!

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Lagunitas IPA
Sierra Nevada Pale
Rogue Hazelnut Brown
Deschutes (anything)

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Sierra Nevada Pale
Newcastle
Corona
Bass Ale

I use to drink the thick dark beers (like Guinness) but it would always tear my tummy up. Started drinking the above beers and haven't had a problem since!

There's too may others to choose from, I'm pretty flexible. I usually skip the beer and go strait to the hard stuff........but with a good steak/fish/pork/chicken dinner a cold one hits the spot.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
[*]Stella Artois - It's the Coors Light of Belgium, but I like it these days. Oddly enough, the first few Stella's I tried were just so-so to me at the time, but I think I'm getting a taste for pilsners lately.
:disgust1: Stella is not the any-american beer of anything. You will come to understand now you have accepted the righteous truth. Stella will show you the way.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Some of the favourites in here are really not everyday drinkers IMO... Not saying they're not all nice beers.

'Favourite':

1) Powerful, strong tasting, 'craft' beverage, but three of which in less than an hour make a good hangover quite likely, and which henceforth is really an occasional drink

or

2) Great tasting, enjoyable, credible strength beverage I drink nearly everyday.

I really like a lot of the beers in here, but I like Stella enough to pick it for preference most of the time.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
sam adams , killians irish red , heinken and on my white trash days when i'm not in the mood for anything fancy mgd .

bobushka king

Irontaint
Jun 26, 2007
1. Kroughs Red Ale (local micro brew)
2. Sam Adams Octoberfest
3. Brooklyn Brown Ale

or when I'm feeling cheap

4. Colt 45 (though it's not technically beer per say)

although with most beers I follow the Homer Simpson logic "If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black, send it back"

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
1. otter creek stovepipe porter
2. guinness
3. long trail doublebag
4. sam adams cherrywheat

i do need to try more porters and stouts though seeing as how the stovepipe porter is by far my favorite out of those 4 beers.
4. Colt 45 (though it's not technically beer per say)
colt 45 is what i've been primarily drinking for the past 3 months.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I *knew* you were a girl... :busted:
well seeing as how i've really only tried 4 beers that i would actually classify as "good," it kind of had to be on the list. i have just recently learned that i much prefer darker beers over pale ales and all that stuff, so i haven't really explored different porters and stouts just yet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
well seeing as how i've really only tried 4 beers that i would actually classify as "good," it kind of had to be on the list. i have just recently learned that i much prefer darker beers over pale ales and all that stuff, so i haven't really explored different porters and stouts just yet.
Glad to hear you're coming around, Nancy. To good beer, that is... :monkey:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
colt 45 is what i've been primarily drinking for the past 3 months.
I'm sorry.

1) Harpoon IPA
2) Stone Ruination IPA
3) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
4) Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale

Honorable mentions:

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Long Trail Doublebag
Wachusett Blueberry (Guilty pleasure :()