Quantcast

What bike do you love, just more fun ripping around on?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have ridden a TON of bikes over the 20 years and all our styles and backgrounds are different...so for how I ride and goof off...

I loved a chumba Evo I had but this evil following is just so much fun to ride and I have a hard time believing it's as small a travel in rear....but size is XL (yes you guys were right )

20230508_213433.jpg

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Although it's the winter thing, I have fully enjoyed ripping on this in the winter and with two fatbikes, I rode it 99% of the time due to how much fun it was. I wasn't sure if it would really "work" as a primary winter fatbike, given the cold and effect on shocks/suspension and tire sizes, but it worked out pretty amazing. Add to that trails that we built and linked up in the winter for more than 1000' vert of ripping descent and it was just a blast. No more being pounded by hiker postholes, just pedal and not give a F. Won several races, both up and down. Just an f-ing riot to do the DS course and just launch off the rollers/jumps with no care in the world, only to be caught by the safety-net after the finish line like an aircraft carrier arrestor cable recovery. It's been a blast.

On this day, I followed snowmachine tracks up to the ridge, where the snow was swept off, then I pushed up the ridge to the summit, just like I would in the summer, riding down on the tundra, then the snowmachine tracks.

332790723_598012761876617_3445190952647306610_n.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Although it's the winter thing, I have fully enjoyed ripping on this in the winter and with two fatbikes, I rode it 99% of the time due to how much fun it was. I wasn't sure if it would really "work" as a primary winter fatbike, given the cold and effect on shocks/suspension and tire sizes, but it worked out pretty amazing. Add to that trails that we built and linked up in the winter for more than 1000' vert of ripping descent and it was just a blast. No more being pounded by hiker postholes, just pedal and not give a F. Won several races, both up and down. Just an f-ing riot to do the DS course and just launch off the rollers/jumps with no care in the world, only to be caught by the safety-net after the finish line like an aircraft carrier arrestor cable recovery. It's been a blast.

On this day, I followed snowmachine tracks up to the ridge, where the snow was swept off, then I pushed up the ridge to the summit, just like I would in the summer, riding down on the tundra, then the snowmachine tracks.

View attachment 193582
That's what I'm talking about, a bike that makes you love just riding and jibbing...that's badass..a Foes fat tire set up..

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
not sure...only have one bike (nomad 4) so i have to pedal it but it also has to be a plow bike...i mean, i do love it. but i think that snappy fun bike for me would have been an intense ss2 but i never got to have one...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
not sure...only have one bike (nomad 4) so i have to pedal it but it also has to be a plow bike...i mean, i do love it. but i think that snappy fun bike for me would have been an intense ss2 but i never got to have one...
Yeah the SS2 eluded me as well...never seemed to pan out when I was looking

Nomad is a damn good bike though, sc makes good bikes..

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah the SS2 eluded me as well...never seemed to pan out when I was looking

Nomad is a damn good bike though, sc makes good bikes..
My NOS SS2 frame is still in jonkranked's garage. :dirol:

Most fun bike: Intense Tazer (long frame) with dropper post and longer fork. IMO perfect for Danish trails that are mainly flat-ish, XC-ish, but have some larger hits as well. Like a slack hardtail but with more marging of error for saving the rear wheel. And the 559 wheel size is making Woo happy. :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
My old OG Transition Scout probably the most "fun" bike I've owned. Worth mentions for both my current Transition Smuggler which just pops and slaps turns better than I ever expected a 29er could, and the little Nukey Mega 275 which fit just nice and loves loose natural tracks.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Old pinkie is my fav, I didn't expect much of a custom frame that was ~$700AuD landed but it was awesome.
I would have liked to have tried it with a really good 650b fork but never got to, even wheel size was more fun than mullet but I am fat, old and slow so mullet was needed so I felt like a less shit human.
1402641017309430464.jpg

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
2014 GG Megatrail. The bike just wants to jump and assault corners with short AF stays and a 26" hoop in the back. Recently put a 27.5" wheel up front to join the mullet cult, which was mainly nice to help get the BB up a smidge. Bike has over 5,000 miles on it, and with any luck, will be handed over to @SuboptimusPrime 's up and coming mini-shredder son. Bikes fucking rule
20230509_091842.jpg

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
100% this...

DSC_0033.JPG

Dartmoor 4X. A bit more versatile than a DJ bike but just as tough with similar geo to most long frames (420mm reach)
9spd XO 11-25 cassette. Saint cranks +32t ring. Hope 2pot brakes .120mm pike at 150psi+ (so never yeikds mors than about 80mm travel.) 2.3 DTHs @70psi. And a 210mm one up dropper. Perfect for razzing about on trails, jumps pump tracks and even commuting. Rode 70miles to work n back on it last week (over 3 days)

Those old Tazer FS were awesome for fucking around on and way more capable than you'd think. I Hated the original transition scout. Marketed as a a similar sort of playful bike to a Tazer or bottle rocket but just wasn't. it was just a mediocre short travel trail bike (which is fine if that's what you wanted)

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
For me it's my 2022 Kona Honzo ESD I built from the frame up last summer. I find this bike more more fun than any other bike I've ever had (as long as the trail is not super fast or rough).

I find it complements my big Enduro bike very well.

The long/slack geometry and the 150mm fork makes it very capable, but being a hardtail with super short chainstays, it is still very lively; perfect for goofing around and trying weird/rewarding lines.

/

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
love to see the hardtails!
when I read this the first thing I thought of was "the Sovereign". I've put more street/dirt/jump miles on that bike that I can tell you, and when I was younger and healed quickly, I lived on that bike in the city.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah for a freeride bike I love my 951 Evo..won't sell it , it has a place that fits the bill ..but if I had to have 1 bike the evil wins....till it collapses from pushing too hard then I'll be bummed ..lol
Buddy did the stark jam and broke his at the links off a botched landing...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Another hardtail in the mix. There are only a few super chunky DH trails I wouldn't prefer to ride this thing on. Fun from urban to XC and steep tech trails. Although it shines the most on steep fast stuff.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i'm way too smashy smashy (and old) get on with a hardtail. did not like the overforked cotic bfe i had a few years ago, even messing around on local trails.
while the nomad isn't quick/light/jibby, when it's running well it's hella fun. freeride frog agreed (until he got ejected and lost in a chunky descent last week)
1683668293777.jpeg

1683668319367.jpeg

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I’m digging this as I’m looking to add a fun trail ripper to my small steed (Sender for a DH bike and Tyee for trail/freeride stuff). I’m not sure my back could handle a hard tail these days. I’ve been tossing around the idea of getting a Commencal Meta Tr. The geometry numbers seem to be what I’m looking for. The Polygon Siskiu T8 seems to tick a lot of boxes too. Except availability in the color I’d want. I’d grab a Status 140 seeing as they’re so cheap right now, but I had the 160 version and couldn’t seem to jive with it. Not sure if it was the super short chainstays with a longer reach, or the mullet set up or both. Anyone have time on a Meta TR or the Siskiu T8?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have a weak back as well and I don't find riding a hardtail to be an issue at all. You stand pretty all the time anyway, so if the bike has a nice and roomy geometry, you're probably good. of course, that probably depends on the nature of your back problems.

I'd say riding a hardtail is mostly brutal on the ankles when you mess up.

The new Chromag Darco seems like a really nice option to consider as a fun bike. It's currently at the top of my list when/if I decide that I'm too old to ride a hardtail. :)

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The new Chromag Darco seems like a really nice option to consider as a fun bike. It's currently at the top of my list when/if I decide that I'm too old to ride a hardtail. :)
After I got used to a hard tail and lost the expectation that a bike needs to ride like a couch I stiffened up the setup in my FS significantly. Bike was a lot more supportive and fun to ride.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The Mullet hardtail has been one of the funnest mountain bikes I've had in a long time. It's at home in all sorts of terrain and gets through rough stuff with surprising composure. I've been running the front wheel into stuff alot lately, catching pop off edges is just ridiculously fun on it. My fork would disagree with how much fun we're having though.

Resized_20230421_174401.jpeg

My OG Transition Covert might have been the funnest squishy bike I've owned though. Firm suspension and short travel are my jam. I have my Banshee Spitfire setup with a 130mm 29er front end and the 140mm 27.5 rear. It's right up there with the most playful and lively bikes I've had in a long time. With the bigger wheel up front it's a more balanced and composed ride. The coil shock and rear suspension is great for long days in the saddle. Generally I have more "fun" jibbing the trail, pushing and popping off stuff. It's easier to push off the trail with stiff short travel bikes so that's what I am looking for in a fun bike.

Resized_20230427_181739.jpeg

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
My first gen SC Nomad (circa 2007?) with an Avy shock and a Marzocchi 66 up front. I think it had two front chainrings with an e13 bashguard. 26" wheels. Sold it a looong time ago.

Would love to pounce around and that bad boy these days. I'm sure it's still awesome.

Might have to find some pics....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
as lame as it sounds, this Kona Humu has been one of the most versatile and fun bikes I own:
1683728784311.png

I've used it for mountain bike rides with the kids, taken it to the pump track with them, used it as a commuter with slicks, to haul the kids around on a seat, and in the chariot when they were younger. With the knobbies it was a super fun commuter as I could take all the short cuts and find all the steeps and side hits on the way to work. It takes up so much space in the basement, but I keep pulling it out to use it. and my oldest can now use it as his commuter too, so I guess I'll be keeping it for the long haul!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Most bikes are fun except for 29'ers. But my favorite bike- possibly of all time - is my Ragley Blue Pig 27.5 hardtail. I pull it out when I'm riding quad paths and around town or doing some trails that aren't as rocky. Man, this thing is fun, fun FUN! I really love that it brings back the riding from the 90's and earlier 2000's since I mainly rode hardtails then. It's a blast to ride.

1683729807546.jpg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Dang, lots of hardtails here.

One of my favorites was a Scott Scale 29er. I know I keep mentioning it, but it had a bullshit fork and some bullshit parts, and I've never felt as fast on any bike ever. It was not capable in the steeps and it wasn't anything aside from light, but it was the kind of bike that was what it was and nothing more. like 90mm of travel, no dropper, no through axles, brakes that barely worked, but the geometry was dialed all the way back in 2011 and it was a ton of fun on the crappy, choppy, tight little trails we have out here. I ended up selling it because I thought i was a full suspension guy, but I can't help searching for another L Scale frame that maybe has through axles and a tapered headtube for extra more fun...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Dang, lots of hardtails here.

One of my favorites was a Scott Scale 29er. I know I keep mentioning it, but it had a bullshit fork and some bullshit parts, and I've never felt as fast on any bike ever. It was not capable in the steeps and it wasn't anything aside from light, but it was the kind of bike that was what it was and nothing more. like 90mm of travel, no dropper, no through axles, brakes that barely worked, but the geometry was dialed all the way back in 2011 and it was a ton of fun on the crappy, choppy, tight little trails we have out here. I ended up selling it because I thought i was a full suspension guy, but I can't help searching for another L Scale frame that maybe has through axles and a tapered headtube for extra more fun...
i'm still riding a 2013 spark.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
My Nomad 3 was my favorite all around bike. It was slack enough that I was confident on steeps, had enough suspension that it made up for lack of skill, and pedaled adequately enough that it was fine for longer rides. I'm sure it'd feel sketchy now, but I have a ton of nostalgia for that bike. It's a big part of why when I finally threw in the towel on my Megatrail this winter, I got a Nomad 6.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
we should start another similar thread about bikes we regret selling / wish we never sold.
I've got a photo album kicking about of all nearly all the bikes I've owned over the years. There's so many I wish I'd kept, even just as wall hangings as a combination of nostalgia for the bike, the rides/adventures/races it took me on or even an appreciation of the manufacturing/design/engineering of some of the nicer ones.

Then there's a few bikes and parts that I'm still shaking my head wondering what the fuck I was thinking when I bought them....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I
i love all my bikes.

we should start another similar thread about bikes we regret selling / wish we never sold.
Don't have a single one, they either get cut up with a grinder or ridden until they crack.
I think I have sold three frames in ~20yrs but they were shit when new so I think I sold them for $20ea, Revell and an On-One.