Quantcast

What bike do you love, just more fun ripping around on?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Weirdly my beat up DC Pussy (despite the dumb AF name). It's an old AF steel dj frame I use all the time simply because Warsaw has around 10 asphalt pumptracks. One even is lit at night.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I have ridden a TON of bikes over the 20 years and all our styles and backgrounds are different...so for how I ride and goof off...

I loved a chumba Evo I had but this evil following is just so much fun to ride and I have a hard time believing it's as small a travel in rear....but size is XL (yes you guys were right )

View attachment 193583
The original Following ran small, but it is a ripper! I'm on a 2019 V1 Offering, they extended the cockpit where it feels more like a XL following V1 & MB. The Offering even at 140mm is a hoot to ride!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The original Following ran small, but it is a ripper! I'm on a 2019 V1 Offering, they extended the cockpit where it feels more like a XL following V1 & MB. The Offering even at 140mm is a hoot to ride!
Got a ttx coming in to bump mine to almost 140 rear and already 150 front...bike is so so much fun...I keep looking at going up in their line up...I kept looking at offering and the one up but I have this one and damn I love it lol..

Ended up not getting the supreme dh got a 2023 trek session high pivot...see how it rides this year follow some dh races and open it up a bit ..how's the supreme treating you???

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Got a ttx coming in to bump mine to almost 140 rear and already 150 front...bike is so so much fun...I keep looking at going up in their line up...I kept looking at offering and the one up but I have this one and damn I love it lol..

Ended up not getting the supreme dh got a 2023 trek session high pivot...see how it rides this year follow some dh races and open it up a bit ..how's the supreme treating you???
My buddy is on a V3 Following coming from the MB. He finally got the V3 dialed in, but I still think he prefers the MB. Offering hits that sweet spot of not too much travel to hamper big climbs, but still feels like it has plenty for the trails I have here in CA.

Still loving the Supreme, but having a rough time on trying to find the parts to convert my 2020 40 to Coil. Waiting for Northstar to open, but there is still a shit ton of snow, so who knows when it will open. My buddy is looking a a 2023 Session.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Although it's the winter thing, I have fully enjoyed ripping on this in the winter and with two fatbikes, I rode it 99% of the time due to how much fun it was. I wasn't sure if it would really "work" as a primary winter fatbike, given the cold and effect on shocks/suspension and tire sizes, but it worked out pretty amazing. Add to that trails that we built and linked up in the winter for more than 1000' vert of ripping descent and it was just a blast. No more being pounded by hiker postholes, just pedal and not give a F. Won several races, both up and down. Just an f-ing riot to do the DS course and just launch off the rollers/jumps with no care in the world, only to be caught by the safety-net after the finish line like an aircraft carrier arrestor cable recovery. It's been a blast.

On this day, I followed snowmachine tracks up to the ridge, where the snow was swept off, then I pushed up the ridge to the summit, just like I would in the summer, riding down on the tundra, then the snowmachine tracks.

View attachment 193582
What a picture! I have been reading about you and that Fatty. I can not even imagine what a Fatty Squish feels like? I think of the Softest bed,with one of those expensive top covers making it feel like Full Body incasement of heaven when you lay in it. Just pure joy of being content.

I want a HardTail Fatty. I wonder if you even feel the terrain on that BadBoy? Please tell us how it feel’s from any other Bike. Right,off I go.

Avy

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I want a HardTail Fatty. I wonder if you even feel the terrain on that BadBoy? Please tell us how it feel’s from any other Bike. Right,off I go.
Trust me on this. When you ride overtop of someone's footprints that have turned into solid voids, your asshole 100% feels it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
not necessarily.
but your asshole certainly shouldn't be getting a battering... unless it's an intentional choice

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Asshole, buttocks, nether region, trundle, gundle, void, area where the sun doesn't shine, crack o doom, undercarriage, taint, landing pad, devils eye; same shit different story.

You run over post holes for a kilometer and your bum will get pounded.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What a picture! I have been reading about you and that Fatty. I can not even imagine what a Fatty Squish feels like? I think of the Softest bed,with one of those expensive top covers making it feel like Full Body incasement of heaven when you lay in it. Just pure joy of being content.

Avy
You do. A fatbike without suspension is a rigid bike and thats what they ride like. Riding on flat ground doesn’t require suspension…but flat ground gets boring.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
You do. A fatbike without suspension is a rigid bike and thats what they ride like. Riding on flat ground doesn’t require suspension…but flat ground gets boring.
I think I confused you based on that incredible insight of a HardTail Fatty you gave.

I do have to disagree with you though. No way does a Fatty with those big ass tires ride like a regular HardTail. The Tires themselves are the suspension.

What the People want to know Jm is this: How is the Squish Fatty different from a regular Squish?

It would seem tome to be like a Pig,a Soft Pig,but a Pig none the less.

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think I confused you based on that incredible insight of a HardTail Fatty you gave.

I do have to disagree with you though. No way does a Fatty with those big ass tires ride like a regular HardTail. The Tires themselves are the suspension.

What the People want to know Jm is this: How is the Squish Fatty different from a regular Squish?

It would seem tome to be like a Pig,a Soft Pig,but a Pig none the less.

Avy
Its not, it rides pretty much like a normal enduro FS bike on snow.

because you have the tires for traction, you can do a lot of the normal stuff you do on an enduro bike

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No way does a Fatty with those big ass tires ride like a regular HardTail.
You're right. They don't. Although. tyre pressure makes a massive difference in how they ride. Too high and Fat tyres ride like spacehoppers, properly low they give tons of straight line traction and smooth out small bumps way better than normal tyres but wallow a little and make steering/turning inputs and even accelerations feel a bit vague, slower and damped but they do hold momentum quite well once up to speed and rolling. It's definitely a trade off. Unlike DH or Derp bikes fatbikes gain their grip through lower pressures and increased tyre patch so tend not to have particularly aggressive tread patrens or tall knobs and also tend not to have the softest rubber compounds so roll surprisingly well on smooth surfaces and even asphalt/tarmac roads. A few years back we had a pretty big fatbiking scene round here mainly middle aged guys who used them for coastal group rides ie. sandy beach riding including what they called "rockcrawling" on the coastal rocks where the bigger 5"+ tyres allowed pretty unskilled riders to think they were Chris Akrigg in slow motion. We don't get a huge amount of snow in the winter so most of them probably only had a few proper snow rides in the hills each winter. Fatbikes are surprisingly shite in mud, and the tyres tend not to be tough enough for anything really gnarly so whenever I hear someone tell me they ride "enduro" on there's it has to be taken with a rather large pinch of salt. One of my best mates still has one he just uses for local XC style riding/exploring running fairly high (not quite spacehoppery) presures, He's a big soft motorcyclist though and just likes the chunkiness, stability and comfort.
You should definitely try one. I've tried loads over the years (incl FS). Fatbikes pretty much ruin almost most all the things I enjoy about riding. They're piss easy to wheelie though. and my mate's having higher pressures and being one of the lightest HT fatbikes around actually jumps pretty well. Be warned though old steel Surlys are fucking horrible

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Its not, it rides pretty much like a normal enduro FS bike on snow.

because you have the tires for traction, you can do a lot of the normal stuff you do on an enduro bike
What a Fuckin trip. So,the Squish Fatty is the Equalizer of Snow/Sand. So tire pressure and suspension is setup the same? Man,I would Love to ride a Foes with you In that incredibal landscape. You are a Lucky Man Brother.

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Some people were saying you need higher pressure with an FS fatbike, but I don’t find a difference. If the snow is soft, you gotta go soft. If it’s hard frozen goodness, go hard. Setting records downhill in the winter is a blast. I hit 52mph in one of the races I won on it this year.

But the fat tires go away for the summer. If you try to ride fast they are like bump-amplifiers.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
fuck snow. fuck hardtails. fuck fatbikes. fuck all that shit. eff whatever you're talking about riding through postholes and being miserable. none of those are fun. on none of those bikes can you rip around. so glad i never ever have to remotely think about those conditions and can just ride one bike, year round, on dirt and rocks and hilly goodness. i may have had a few beers but i also still feel like i'm 100% right.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
however i will also caution you that it's a horrible, terrible part of the world and no one should ever, ever come here to experience the joys of non-existant year round shuttled/lift served riding and terrible backcountry adventures...stay away. stick to complaining about being traffic to go skiing and stuff like that.... :D

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
But the fat tires go away for the summer. If you try to ride fast they are like bump-amplifiers.
I remember seeing a guy riding a fat bike on a DH track and it looked like the most horrible experience ever. It looked like he was on a rocking horse going down the trail.
I still want to know where all the fat bikes went, are hipsters buying what was a 3k bike a few years back for $50 coz nobody wants them?

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
You're right. They don't. Although. tyre pressure makes a massive difference in how they ride. Too high and Fat tyres ride like spacehoppers, properly low they give tons of straight line traction and smooth out small bumps way better than normal tyres but wallow a little and make steering/turning inputs and even accelerations feel a bit vague, slower and damped but they do hold momentum quite well once up to speed and rolling. It's definitely a trade off. Unlike DH or Derp bikes fatbikes gain their grip through lower pressures and increased tyre patch so tend not to have particularly aggressive tread patrens or tall knobs and also tend not to have the softest rubber compounds so roll surprisingly well on smooth surfaces and even asphalt/tarmac roads. A few years back we had a pretty big fatbiking scene round here mainly middle aged guys who used them for coastal group rides ie. sandy beach riding including what they called "rockcrawling" on the coastal rocks where the bigger 5"+ tyres allowed pretty unskilled riders to think they were Chris Akrigg in slow motion. We don't get a huge amount of snow in the winter so most of them probably only had a few proper snow rides in the hills each winter. Fatbikes are surprisingly shite in mud, and the tyres tend not to be tough enough for anything really gnarly so whenever I hear someone tell me they ride "enduro" on there's it has to be taken with a rather large pinch of salt. One of my best mates still has one he just uses for local XC style riding/exploring running fairly high (not quite spacehoppery) presures, He's a big soft motorcyclist though and just likes the chunkiness, stability and comfort.
You should definitely try one. I've tried loads over the years (incl FS). Fatbikes pretty much ruin almost most all the things I enjoy about riding. They're piss easy to wheelie though. and my mate's having higher pressures and being one of the lightest HT fatbikes around actually jumps pretty well. Be warned though old steel Surlys are fucking horrible
Gary

Why don’t they give the option of taller knobs? I mean it would nice for Summer no?
Would they work if they did?

I was surprised to hear you say they almost ruint all joys of riding for you? You don’t mean that.

I would Love to ride one,trying to hold the house.

Avy

fuck snow. fuck hardtails. fuck fatbikes. fuck all that shit. eff whatever you're talking about riding through postholes and being miserable. none of those are fun. on none of those bikes can you rip around. so glad i never ever have to remotely think about those conditions and can just ride one bike, year round, on dirt and rocks and hilly goodness. i may have had a few beers but i also still feel like i'm 100% right.
It would seem that you are stuck in a rut, but that is OK.

If it has two wheels and pedals and no motor, it can be fun to ride.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
they almost ruint all joys of riding for you? You don’t mean that.
No. I 100% do mean it. They're cumbersome and slow reacting in almost all situations.
(after the novelty wears off) I wouldn't really enjoy driving a tractor on a motorway (freeway) either

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You honestly telling us you've never felt the joy of manualling a sweet little hardtail or BMX down a tarmac road? Or the buzz of roosting through rotor height snow? If its not just beer fueled bravado you've seriously missed out on a few of life's 2 wheeled pleasures.

PS. Y'know what's waaaay more fun plowing through snow than a slow ass Fatbike? A normal FS Ebike.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
there goes the eu moneyz. berlin has not even one…
I thought Mellowpark had one. No?

Though it's 2 things besides the EU funds:
1. There are 2 companies that are really good at campaigning and building. They have all the fancy shmancy certificates so the govts like them. A strong local company makes a big difference - look at Claudio's Volosolution in your current area. Tbh I am envious of the huge projects you have around you.
2. Many municipalities here leave a certain % of the budget for ideas proposed by the public so the local bike communities have organized and voted the fuck out of those. Also kids really like those. Kinda annoying but still fun.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What a Fuckin trip. So,the Squish Fatty is the Equalizer of Snow/Sand. So tire pressure and suspension is setup the same? Man,I would Love to ride a Foes with you In that incredibal landscape. You are a Lucky Man Brother.
If you're honestly curious about fatbikes for anything other than snow, have a look at the few articles Mike Ferrentino has published over on NSMB.com. Maybe starting with this one? It's a good take on the pros and cons.
Gary

Why don’t they give the option of taller knobs? I mean it would nice for Summer no?
Would they work if they did?

I was surprised to hear you say they almost ruint all joys of riding for you? You don’t mean that.

I would Love to ride one,trying to hold the house.

Avy
taller knobs would make a beastly tire even heavier. for very little benefit, because Gary's right:
No. I 100% do mean it. They're cumbersome and slow reacting in almost all situations.
(after the novelty wears off) I wouldn't really enjoy driving a tractor on a motorway (freeway) either
You honestly telling us you've never felt ... the buzz of roosting through rotor height snow? If its not just beer fueled bravado you've seriously missed out on a few of life's 2 wheeled pleasures.
like this? :

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I think someone tucked into the Scotch after the beers. :busted:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Shaun Palmer level drunk on a school night FTW.