Quantcast

What bike for 1st SS ?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Find an old HT and convert it. You'll learn more and faster that way. Of your choices, if you're not sure you'll like SSing, definitely the Monocog. Otherwise the SISS for the discs. But I like steel. And don't forget the SS kit at webcyclery.com--a 1x1 for $915.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you have an old HT sitting around, and the singulator style ss tensioners aren't for you, White Industries (or someone else, think it's them) is making an eccentric-cam rear hub that lets you tension the rear axle for full SS conversion on a vert-drop frame. Looks interesting...a non-ghettorigged singlespeed for the price of a new rear wheel!

It certainly opens up your frame choices in any case. There are also a few convertible frames floating around, like the Chameleons and Riddlers, and the Bianchi complete SS bikes seem like great deals. Guy named Veelz also had a 1x1 for sale in buy/sell a few weeks ago, looked like a great deal.

MD

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
I managed to snag an '02 Kona Unit over the summer. It's still isn't finished (was away all summer), but I can let you know what I think in a few days.

nydave

Chimp
May 8, 2003
Orange Co. NY
Thanks for the help. I just had the lbs order me a 19.5" S.I.S.S., I just hope the TT length isn't too short. I finally decided that even though the Monocog is a great deal in it's price range, I wanted something that was, for lack of terms...a better SS. The Unit was my first choice, but the only ones left for this year are 16" frames,bummer,I like Kona's bikes. Some people suggested a 1x1,but for me to build one up,or gettin' one built up from webcyclery,would cost more. so I figure the S.I.S.S. is the most cost effective way to get into SS...$775+tax. From what research I did,the Surly looked like a good SS bike,just more expensive. I like steel bikes,and the people I know who have Bianchi SS's love 'em. Once again, Thanks for the input, Dave

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
The mono cog has 110 rear spacing and I am running the redline seal bearing hubs on Alex rims. I haven't ridden the bike yet because I haven't installed the start nut and top cap and the tektro brakes I have suck. I'm picking up some Avid brakes tomorrow. The bike is a pig, it weighs about 25 to 26 pounds as pictured. The sizing listed on Jenson of the TT is virual length not actual length. Also, for a 22.5" tt I normally run a 110mm to 100mm stem. On the mono cog I have a 80mm stem to have "normal" position.