Quantcast

What bike for learning/general riding?

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
Hi all!

I'm thinking about picking up a hardtail to learn SOME trials as well as general riding in the woods. I already have a heavy DH pig so this is going to be my second bike. I'm mainly looking for lightest possible bike. My budget is about 500-600$. I'm looking at used bike only ($ wise). What are some good bikes to look at? I was thinking about Azonic DS/Evolution or something from Kona line. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm not looking to bu Trials specific bike; I just need a HT that would have a decent geometry and weight.

Thank you!

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
To learn trials can be very frustrating on something like the Azonic. In addition, buying a bike for trials AND riding in the woods will be very hard because the Azonic doenst have much clearance. I have a PX Zebdi for sale, its not super trials specific, but would work. I don't know about trails, I can see it riding alright, but having a rigid fork may be annoying. I'm looking for about $600 US plus shipping. Heres a link:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89999

Email me at
B1105 at aol.com
Thanks

Byron

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
BTW, the 600 would be with a different rear wheel(WTB wheel), NOT the King/Alex wheel. The bike comes in around 25/26ish

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
Sorry I didn't give much reason about difficulty on the Azonic, but the chainstays on that thing are above 16 inches, which makes rear wheel moves extremely hard(which are the basis for trials). If oyur looking for something that would work for other purposes, but still good for trials, pursue something with chainstays around 15.5" or less than 16". Below 15.5 will prob be more trials specific, which would mean super long wheelbase and an overall uncomfortable position.

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
Thanks for advice. I'll definately look at your bike when I'm going to be ready to buy something.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
B1105 said:
To learn trials can be very frustrating on something like the Azonic. In addition, buying a bike for trials AND riding in the woods will be very hard because the Azonic doenst have much clearance. I have a PX Zebdi for sale, its not super trials specific, but would work. I don't know about trails, I can see it riding alright, but having a rigid fork may be annoying. I'm looking for about $600 US plus shipping. Heres a link:
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89999

Email me at
B1105 at aol.com
Thanks

Byron
SPAM! Whatever you can do whatever you want on the azonic. If that's what you can afford go for it. The bike is fun for urban and DJ. I do agree finding a bike for trail/trials is rough, get what you can afford and ride it. My friend can ride trials and learned on an old cannondale. It's not the bike it's the rider.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
In addition i checked out your rig and that is not going to be good for any trail riding. It's a trials bike. :nuts:

SPAM
SPAM
SPAM
SPAM

B1105

Chimp
Dec 22, 2003
I wasnt trying to sell him my rig, I was telling him that learning trials on something like the Azonic would be very difficult due to the long chainstays. If he were to look at something more trials specific, then I would suggest my bike. But that is up to him.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
Id say the azonic would be a very good bike for you purposes. Its gonna be more frustrating on trails then a good trail bike and its also gonna be harder to ride trials on then trials specific rig. However, trials is very much do-able on that frame. In fact, at the trials nationals in Colorado Springs in may, one of the sport riders was on an Azonic with a squishy front end. I think he finished first or second in sport...... not sure.

Anyway, this would be a good way to test the trials waters so to speak and then upgrade to a real trials bike later. I started trials on a bike MUCH more cumbersome with much longer stays. It wasnt easy, and progression will be slower, but it is the way most people start out.

also, Id pick the Azonic cuz its a pretty budget friendly frame. :thumb:

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
I recommend the Santa Cruz Chameleon. It's a strong frame that can take a decent amount of abuse, but has much better geometry for trials than most other burlier hardtails - you don't want a DS/DH frame for trials moves because it will be far too slack angled. The Chameleon has steep enough angles and works awesome for tech street riding too. (If you gain trials skills, you'll find you'll prefer steeper angled bikes for street riding too, usually)