Quantcast

what bike?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Wilson10, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Wilson10

Wilson10 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    8 / 0
    I'm looking for recommendations for my new 4 yr old beginner. :)

He has been flying around for two years on his strider and is ready for a pedal bike.

I want something he can learn on and lightweight but also grow into for a year or so. Anyone with any advice is appreciated.

Thx

#1 -   Oct 9, 2012

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Anthony Watkins

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    In my opinion I would just hit the local Walmart their bikes aren't too bad for young/new riders I rode a few growing up and didn't have too many problems other than flat tires

3. K.hudson

K.hudson Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Wow a little biker on the road. Will his training wheels be out already? That is so cool! :)

4. WMAC

WMAC Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    There aren't any good lightweight options out there. Depending on the size of your little one, the Specialized Hotrock 12 or 16 are the best options I have seen.

5. kazlx

kazlx Patches O'Houlihan

Rep/Likes:
    149 / 1,290
  6. kickstand

kickstand Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    44 / 390
    There are most certainly good lightweight options out there, they just aren't cheap.

My son started at age 3 on a 12" wheeled wally world bike. Then moved on around 4/5 years of age.

My kids had great luck on 16" wheeled bmx/park style bikes (my son is still riding a SE lil Wildman, though I think it's time to replace it) he's 7, but it's looking a bit small underneath him.

They also rode Micro and mini bmx bikes, the 18" wheeled bikes are great for 4-6 year old kids. my kids are now 7 and fit the 20" wheeled mini bmx bikes very comfortably.

7. TreeSaw

TreeSaw Mama Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    41 / 428
    Sydney (my oldest daughter...just turned 7) started out on a 12" Trek and it was heavier than any of my XC bikes (probably closer to my DH bike weight). Then she moved to a Jamis that was still steel and had coaster brakes (I think it was a 14"). She has a 16" Trek now and it's quite a bit lighter. They grow so fast that I'd suggest going with something they like (even a Wally World one...just check that it's put together right) to keep him excited to ride and get some pedaling experience, then there are more options for lighter bikes once he's a little bigger. Local garage sales and Craigslist are great options too...they grow so fast!

#7 -   Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. maddog17

maddog17 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 83
    what he said

9. KateHudYF

KateHudYF Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    bmx bike is good