Quantcast

what bike?

Wilson10

Chimp
Aug 10, 2003
Clinton, TN
I'm looking for recommendations for my new 4 yr old beginner. :)

He has been flying around for two years on his strider and is ready for a pedal bike.

I want something he can learn on and lightweight but also grow into for a year or so. Anyone with any advice is appreciated.

Thx

WMAC

Chimp
Sep 23, 2012
Franklin, TN
There aren't any good lightweight options out there. Depending on the size of your little one, the Specialized Hotrock 12 or 16 are the best options I have seen.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
There aren't any good lightweight options out there. Depending on the size of your little one, the Specialized Hotrock 12 or 16 are the best options I have seen.
There are most certainly good lightweight options out there, they just aren't cheap.

My son started at age 3 on a 12" wheeled wally world bike. Then moved on around 4/5 years of age.

My kids had great luck on 16" wheeled bmx/park style bikes (my son is still riding a SE lil Wildman, though I think it's time to replace it) he's 7, but it's looking a bit small underneath him.

They also rode Micro and mini bmx bikes, the 18" wheeled bikes are great for 4-6 year old kids. my kids are now 7 and fit the 20" wheeled mini bmx bikes very comfortably.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sydney (my oldest daughter...just turned 7) started out on a 12" Trek and it was heavier than any of my XC bikes (probably closer to my DH bike weight). Then she moved to a Jamis that was still steel and had coaster brakes (I think it was a 14"). She has a 16" Trek now and it's quite a bit lighter. They grow so fast that I'd suggest going with something they like (even a Wally World one...just check that it's put together right) to keep him excited to ride and get some pedaling experience, then there are more options for lighter bikes once he's a little bigger. Local garage sales and Craigslist are great options too...they grow so fast!

Last edited: