Quantcast

What bikes could become viable again thanks to offset hardware and angled headsets?

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Jus perusing PB classifieds and theres an old Uzzi SLX, which back in the day was an immense bike, but now way behind the times geo wise. But could it be improved and viable with very little effort? And what other bikes could be reborn? MK1 Bullit etc?

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Sunday. It's still a sweet ride as is, but with a 63 degree head angle, it would be killer.

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
I think there is more to that equation than just a simple HA change. Spare parts availability, leverage ratios, axle paths and not to mention that a lot of those older frames came with a straight normal head tube. The market on used frames right now is so good that why bother taking a chance on a really old frame.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Works Components do 1 degree angle sets for 1 1/8th head tubes.
I'm guessing axle paths and leverage curves have only changed for the better on about 25% of new bikes. And with a variety of progressive and Linear feeling shocks available, old frames can be refurbed pretty easy now. There's still not that many great old bikes though.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
what year uzzi are you talking? might as well go socom if its from that generation. great bike for a lighter rider. if the older horst link uzzi is what you're talking about, no, can't be made current.

a lot of the good mid 2000's frames are 1.125" HT so slackening is limited. what's more most of them are kinda hammered by now.

as for what bikes I really like the older giant faith. stiff, not super heavy, reliable, pedals well, jumps well, good all around. and cheap!

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
It's amazing what even an offset bushing can do. Not that my Scott Ransom, a trail bike, is the best thing ever but that 3mm offset at the lower shock mount made a huge difference. Luckily it already had a low BB height to begin with.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the vp-free makes a good starter dh bike, built up one for my GF with a short shock, offset bushings and its setup pretty nicely. You can build it pretty light too. If she rode it more Id probably get an angleset for it

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
al-irl, interesting. What year? How much angle did you got with offset? 1 degree? any shock? I wondered if new shock would be overkill. I might start new thread about that later.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Offset bushes in my old ironhorse mkIII def. made a difference, much more stable down rocky/rooty descents.

As far as DH bikes..
GT Fury? Mongoose Boot'r/Pinn'r? Pre-Sam Hill Demos?

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
which would still be sufficient for 99% of the riders out there..unless of course the original HT angle was like 67*+
To be honest if you can get away with a 65-66deg ha bike you don't need a dh bike in most cases.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
al-irl, interesting. What year? How much angle did you got with offset? 1 degree? any shock? I wondered if new shock would be overkill. I might start new thread about that later.
Cant remember what year it is but its the last generation vp free with the 1.5 headtube, i put in a 8.5x 2.5 shock into it. I put in 2mm offset at both ends which made it shorter by a good bit. If i remember correctly it dropped the bb about 1.5" in total which slackens it by close to 2 degrees. Its over a year ago since I did it but it certainly made for a nice bike for a beginners dh and was built quite light and quite affordably. When i first built it with a crossmax xl front wheel i had sitting round it came in at 32-33lbs

thats it before the short shock

sorry no after pic, she noticed a big difference from the short shock and offset bushes. Its way too small for me to test ride it

300hp

Chimp
Dec 12, 2009
Running my O.G. Sunday with an RC4, Funktion flat crowns and a 1.5 degree VP varialset.

So money. I'm sure there are better bikes out there, but the performance you get for the $$ is going to be really hard to beat.

Straight-up shred.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Offset bushes in my old ironhorse mkIII def. made a difference, much more stable down rocky/rooty descents.

As far as DH bikes..
GT Fury? Mongoose Boot'r/Pinn'r? Pre-Sam Hill Demos?
This is an interesting idea- the old demo would need a shock that could
Keep you up in the travel a bit, but with the massive top tube, 64ha and a 14.5" bb it could be a great candidate for short-shocking

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
older intenses might work. woody had a 6.6 for a while that was all awkward and gangly. The large size was huge for him, but with cups and a shorter shock/offset reducers it may have worked better. It also might cut some of the S into a C as far as axle path, which might help it pedal less gay.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
This thread and Sandwich's Piggy have me intrigued to start my own "project bike" with an older frame and cheaper and reliable parts. I think I'm over my "keeping up with the Joneses" phase of bikes, especially DH.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
my pig is pretty good, but it's a little tall. I've got my 64* HA, but my BB sits at 14.5". I already have -2 reducer cups and -1.8mm offset reducers (maximum of 0.9mm on an avalanche). I am running 2.7" tires though. We'll see what the final result is, but I was a tad disappointed to not hit somewhere around 14.1. Must have had like a 15.5" bb originally.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
older intenses might work. woody had a 6.6 for a while that was all awkward and gangly. The large size was huge for him, but with cups and a shorter shock/offset reducers it may have worked better. It also might cut some of the S into a C as far as axle path, which might help it pedal less gay.
As much as I love Intense and as cheap as you can get used 6.6 frames, this bike is not really worth your time. The swingarm is a wet noodle (and that comes from a guy that doesn't mind a little flex in a frame).

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
the bolt through will help a bit but the lower links used to eat bearings on those frames. The 6.6 was indeed a pig and the frame has to have some charm to start with.