Quantcast

what bikes for bellingham?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
ok, so i'm fairly convinced that i'm going to western next year for college (unless gonzaga wants to give me some absurd amount of money), and since space is a precious commodity in a dorm room, i have to pick 1 or 2 of my bikes to take. keep in mind that i'm not taking my truck with me, so if i ever go to galby, it wont be too frequent.

heres the bikes:
transition trail or park
norco evolve trials
transition dirtbag
specialized langster
specialized fuse 4

ok, so i haven't bought the last two yet, but they should be in my stable soon.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
dirtbag and T.O.P- lots of good areas around bellingham as you most likely know including dirt jumps about 5 minutes away from galby. T.O.P for urban/dj/ all around. But if you don't have a car/truck and you had to pick 1 i'd say T.O.P

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Keep in mind that Transition does a lot of their testing on Galby, as with Kona. If I had my choice, I would definitely go with the DirtBag. It's a good bike for Galby (and from growing up next to Western, I can tell you that Galby is within biking distance). I would take that and a hardtail for the dirt jumps and biking long distances.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
there is some dope stuff to do trials on around campus, so i think if i take the top ill have to put a front brake on it.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
I am also seriosuly considering WWU for college next year. Hopefully I will be able to get some financial help.

I have been wondering where I am gonna keep my bikes. The lofted beds seems like a good idea!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
First quarter last year when I lived in the smallest ****tiest dorms at western. I fit my hardtail up top after I built it, too.

If you join the bike team and get involved, you'll be riding quite a bit. I rode a ****ton last year when I didn't have my truck. There is a lot of us that ride here. Trails are badass. Definitiely bring the big bike, the bmx and the hardtail. downtown is so close to the school that while I own a road bike, I normally just ride my 20" everywhere.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
The bike team is more road oriented now, but between myself and my big group of friends, we're definitely reviving the mountain side of things. We're going to be racing quite a bit this year if I can get enough time off work and if my classes aren't too nuts. Beacon, Island Series, BC Cup, a couple big races (TBD). Collegiate nationals at the end of the year.

You don't have to have much experience. Most of the road team are kids that don't even ride their road bikes - or any bikes at all. They just do it so they can have a club sport. Obviously that sucks and I hope you're all much more involved than that, but regardless, it is a club sport. We get sponsorship through Fanatik Bike Co so you can get your hands on a good selection of bikes for cheap, like Turner, Intense, Iron Horse, Transition, etc. We also get a lot of our race fees and travel expenses paid for. There's other benefits through other team sponsors as well. It's a really sweet deal.

I fully encourage any of you guys thinking of going here this coming year to really give it a shot. It is an awesome school in a great community with a whole lot of bike riding to be done. There is a sweet group of dedicated riders and trailbuilders, and as far as the bike team is concerned, the more mountain riders we can get, the better it will be for all of us. Let me know if you have any other questions.

And Ben, My spring break starts on like March 21st. I don't know if I;ll be able to do too much because I slave all the ****in time, but it would be awesome to ride with you again. Haven't seen you in forever.

i rode to the point of not going to classes at western, so I'm living 30minutes north, in south surrey. I wouldn't get a langster just yet, but build a ghetto fixie or SS roadie for getting around campus/town. The dirtbag is a must, and the TOP would be a close second. what dorm are you living in? I had 7 bikes in mathes hall at one point, and me and my roommate in BT had 4 stached in there.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Take your Dirt Bag to keep in your room and a super-ugly POS transportation bike to lock up on the rack outside the dorm.

Oh, and if you're going to be in Ridgeway, know that your POS-bike will be constantly in the rain and glop, so act accordingly.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I lived in Gamma for the second half of last year, and my DH bike, my hardtail and my BMX never had to spend a night in the rain (unless I was passed out in the ditch right next to my bike)

SnowMongoose

Chimp
Mar 1, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Some of the racks at ridgeway are covered
:P

I'm always impressed at the number of half decent or better bikes I see locked on campus...
I'm iffy as hell about riding my Scrap there, even just locking her up for an hour, but last week friday I saw two Higher end kona FSes locked up, along with a pair of nice roadbikes.
haven't been able to get my hands on something to SSify and use to commute yet.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
i suppose the next logical question is which dorms should i live in? i was thinking one of the 4-person rooms in fairhaven would be cool with 3 friends, any opinions?

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
If you're outgoing at all....stay the **** off north campus. North campus SUCKS. Fairhaven can be cool with the right people - same with BT....but if you get up on the ridge, you're guaranteed to have an awesome time. All the prettiest girls are almost exclusively on the ridge, and you'll never spend a night with nothing to do. You can also get away with a lot more on the ridge once you figure out how to escape because of the sheer volume of kids. I lived in Gamma and had an awesome time. Beta is sweet too. The hall dorms would suck with bikes, but Beta and Gamma would be perfect. Gamma is more in the trees so it seems to be crackin more oft than not...last year all the hotties were in Kappa, some in Gamma, and tons in Delta. But I say go for Gamma.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
My son lived in Kappa his first year and really liked it. Only go to Fairhaven if you want the retro hippie experience or if you really feel you should have picked Evergreen :D