Quantcast

What bolt pattern?

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I need to get some new chain rings for my old roady. I have a feeling it's whatever standard Shimano is (130mm from what I've seen) but I don't know how to determine exactly. What is the that measuring?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
BCD is the bolt circle diameter. It's the diameter of a imaginary circle that goes through the center of each chainring bolt.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
hmmmmmmm........so maybe just use a piece of string or something to get the diameter and then measure that.

Thanks!

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Wumpus said:
If they are road cranks(105, ultegra), it is the standard 130. Shimano does not make a compact road crank(110mm).
And this stuff is so old that compact was not even in existence. It's an old Shimano 600 groupo that had Bio-Pace chainrings. :eek: It's my first bike that I bought with my very own $$$. I just want to get it running again for fun, but hate the bio-pace stuff.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Ah... BIOPACE, one of Shimano's many answers to questions that were never asked. :D :D :D If you ever follow someone with biopacerings you'd swear their rings where warped. :oink:

Morryjg said:
And this stuff is so old that compact was not even in existence. It's an old Shimano 600 groupo that had Bio-Pace chainrings. :eek: It's my first bike that I bought with my very own $$$. I just want to get it running again for fun, but hate the bio-pace stuff.

J

JRB

If you have access to a QBP catalog, they have a little template you can use to tell.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
How easy is it to find a 5x130mm set of chainrings? I haven't been able to find any locally...
Does anybody know of an online source?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Salsa makes both cheap rings w/o the shifting geegaws (cheap, lots of tooth counts), and the 'Pro' rings (more expensive, limited tooth counts) with the shifting rings. Remember you only need the ramps and stuff on the big ring...