Quantcast

What brake pads are you using for Saint M810 brakes?

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Im curious what and why do you prefer the pads.

I look at CRC, there are many brands and compounds.

Im looking at softer material than original ones to prevent lock on / get more modulation. Or at least find a suitable braking feel for myself.

I dont mind the low durability of pads and would test different pads as well.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Goordige Sinthered work good for me. Though Im tempted to try superstar kevlars.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
stockers. Great performance, good modulation, long life. No noise except for dusty super-high-heat conditions. Very pleased.

I'm not sure going to softer pads will give you MORE modulation...I think you'd be looking at grabbier brakes.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
thanks for replies

i will test superstar kevlar and something weaker.. maybe goodridge ceramic

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
stockers. Great performance, good modulation, long life. No noise except for dusty super-high-heat conditions. Very pleased.

I'm not sure going to softer pads will give you MORE modulation...I think you'd be looking at grabbier brakes.
maybe im not used for high power of saint :) i ran stock for a while.. sometimes i felt it as grabby.

good point about softer pads.. if they offer less bite, so it'd be more modulation? the harder ones might offer good modulation when it slips through more thus offering good durability (I think about expensive brakes from porsche, ferrari, ceramic, carbon whatever).

Good opportunity to test different materials.

kevlar is harder material than metal? huh what material are harder and softer than sintered metallic compound? Im not good at physics :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would think that harder compound pads would be less "grabby"/offer less initial bite than softer ones, which should have more bite and power at the cost of lower heat resistance and lifespan. I think that's the way it usually works. The way I think of it, the curve should be constant, _/, rather than _|, if that makes sense, which suggests modulation rather than bite and grip.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
it is what i thought ;)

but i mentioned a thing above that those soft pads that offer less bite, "worse" pads could grab less. but it is maybe harder to find "worse" hard compounds. it is what i was curious about.. however i will try different things which is fun!

for example, for rear i could choose a weak one.

Last edited:

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
thanks for replies

i will test superstar kevlar and something weaker.. maybe goodridge ceramic
Superstar Kevlars are great - power and modulation wise - but ruin your discs pretty quickly.
Two weeks PdS and the rear Disc had noticeable wear, but the pads are still fine.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
From my experience with bike brake pads the metal pads have the most power but most heat. It certainly seems that way with Shimano. Shimano's Resin pads are softer, have less initial bite and have smooth feel. They're quiter and wear faster.

In the Utah dust Saint metals howl. The Resin is quiter and less grabby in the slippery dust too.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
i used the stoc ones, then the EBC sintered and then nukeproof enduros

list from best to worst

nukeproof-strong bite, good modulation, not much noise
stock - power when you need it, modulation decent, no noise
ebc - needed to be hot in order to work but when they did work they were incredibly strong, not a good pad I.M.O

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I have they work well but are a bit thicker then oem and wear faster. They do the job though and I plan to keep using them this season as I am a cheap bastard.