Quantcast

What brake [pads] should I get?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bout time to buy a replacement set of pads for my new saints.

Question 1...should I invest in new rotors like one would on a car when replacing brake pads?

Question 2...what brand and model pads are the hot sh!t right now?

I have heard good things in the past about swissstop and they are available for the 810s. EBC has all of their flavors available and while I loved the green stuff pads on my audi coupe, I've never used them on a bike. There's also the shimano pads which have worked fine but cost the same or more than anybody else's.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Why change the rotors? I went threw 3 brands of pads with one disc with no problem.

EBC greens are more for the xc crowd. If you want them get the GOLDS (REDs wear fast like hell even though they brake better than anything Ive tried by far).

I can also recomend goodridge sinthered pads. Work nice, dont wear too fast.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
slight thread drift (but still on-topic I think). Aside from if they're irremediably bent, how do you know when it's time to replace rotors? Is there really any reason to ever replace them?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've had good results with both Goodridge and Shimano sintered pads (though not on those specific brakes.)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
slight thread drift (but still on-topic I think). Aside from if they're irremediably bent, how do you know when it's time to replace rotors? Is there really any reason to ever replace them?
If you ride in rocky conditions you will bend them sooner or later.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1) I use EBC Green on both my bikes. Love em

2) last year I bought a Park Rotor truing tool. Well worth it and easy to fix minor tweaks and save bent rotors.