Quantcast

What brakes are good in 2020?

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I am still running the last generation Shimano 2 piston with 203 rotors on my enduro bike. They work pretty darn well, but under gunned for longer and steeper stuff. I miss my old 2010 Saint 810's!

What is the good word for Enduro and DH brakes for 2020?

What has caught my eye:

Current get XTR/XT/SLX 4 piston, bite point issues?
Hybird Shimano setup, non servo wave XTR levers paired to 4 piston calipers.
The new TRP EVO brakes, seem like a nice option? I remember Gwin or his mechanic saying they really had to never bleed the last gen.
Formula Cura 4, seem like positive reviews, but most say they have pads rub.
Sram Codes, decent reliability now?
Hope 4, piston?

Cheers!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Direttissima or GTFO. Now available everywhere.

Don't discount the power of the Cura 2s ... paired with big rotors you'll have tons of power on tap.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
My Codes have been very reliable over 2 years. No bleeds required.

They do not have the absurdly strong insta-bite of Shimanos, but nothing does.

I like the Cura 2s on my little bike, too.

I was on Shimano for 15 years and am just biding my time until they sort that shit out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have two sets of the TRP G-specs. Couldn't be happier with them. Initial bite isn't great if that is what you like, but total power and modulation is excellent.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
I have ridden the Codes on some big days in Pisgah and they performed pretty well. Hell even the Level's on my fatbike work pretty dam well. Seems like Sram has turned it around with these new brakes?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I have ridden the Codes on some big days in Pisgah and they performed pretty well. Hell even the Level's on my fatbike work pretty dam well. Seems like Sram has turned it around with these new brakes?
i ran xt's at pisgah and all the area dh spots for years. would occasionally get some fade at the end of a dh run at snowshoe/windrock but they were great for pisgah riding. now on a cura 4 in front (200 rotor) and cura 2 in back (180 rotor) and it's all good as well.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Dominion A4 - 29r Trailbike 203/180 - good feel and power. Had an issue with one, but Hayes set me up huge with new brake and enough spares to outfit a shop after a single e-mail looking for troubleshooting advice. This will be the second year on them.

Hope T3V4 - 27.5/26 mullet DH bike 203 - good feel and consistency, but a bit down on ultimate power - needs big rotors on big wheels. No issues after several years.

For reference I'm 6'2@ 205.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ride last weekend has sustained 45% grades, it's back on your a$$ and creeping down for some significant segments. 8" Shimano 2-pot XTs with icetech are barely adequate and they feel like they are partially glazing over during those segments. It's not a good feeling. For most everything else, they are "ok", but this and a few other sustained DHs (Darrington) can bring up the shortcomings.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Not impressed with the latest Shimano XT 4 pistons, 8120.
Extra mushy feeling, contact point will float drastically on rear if you just pull release rapidly 3-4 times. This is pretty much brand new after a solid bleed.

I have been running Zees, and XT 2 pistons (previous gen), for the past 6 years or so. These are the worst yet.

I think it is time to break up with Japan.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I have two sets of the TRP G-specs. Couldn't be happier with them. Initial bite isn't great if that is what you like, but total power and modulation is excellent.
I could not agree with this more. I was actually really surprised by how much I like them. The main thing with them is total consistency. You pull the lever and the brakes pick up in the same place every time. They have been dead reliable and easy to setup and bleed. Pretty much all I need out of a set of brakes.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I won´t touch anything but Magura unless they somehow manage to royally screw things up in the future. My MT7 have been working for years without even a proper bleed. Just a quick bleed like they show in their videos to keep things feeling 100%. The HC levers are great and the MT5 standard levers aren´t half bad either. Not much mileage on the MT5s yet, but they have been rock solid so far. No wandering bite point or other strange behaviour. Just great modulation and stopping power. The MT7 haven´t faded on 15 minute runs in Saalbach or full upper + lower Schladming sessions.
I´d be intrigued to try MT7/5 calipers with Diretissima levers though.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I could not agree with this more. I was actually really surprised by how much I like them. The main thing with them is total consistency. You pull the lever and the brakes pick up in the same place every time. They have been dead reliable and easy to setup and bleed. Pretty much all I need out of a set of brakes.
I’m starting to think I just had shitty pads in mine.

Loved the lever feel. Tank-like solidity on all the adjuster knobs.

loving my MT7...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I'm with these guys. 3 pairs across bikes and all are very much to my liking. Reliable as hell, very consistent, enough power, and I've come to really depend on the modulation esp for those dicey moments in corners or slippery steep bits where you really shouldn't brake but need to correct.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Worked on my old Intense with MT5s on it, they haven’t been bleed in 5ish years, lever feel is still outstanding. Once I was done with that I tinkered with my 10 month old Cura 4s for the eleventy millionth time, they’ve been bleed more than all the Maguras Ibe ever owned combined.

As of right now, I’d say buy Maguras, haven’t tried TRP, but nothing else on the market has even come close to my $140/pair MT5s

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I have Code RSC's with about 6 months of use and some Trickstuff pads in there on 200mm rotors and 29" wheels, and I strongly recommend getting something else. Probably doesn't matter what. Feels like those shitty mechanical disc brakes they'd put on walmart bikes that didn't really do anything in the 2010 era, but with a less defined contact point and feel.

Also I've needed to bleed the rear twice now.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
The organic pads feel like hot poo
Another vote for TRPs, and I also felt like the orgs were rubbish compared to the metals. Which is another point, you can run Shimano (Saint) metal pads in them, which are usually relatively cheap and easy to come by. Easy to set up out of the box as well.

But overall this thread is almost sounding like it should be part of the "What's right with the industry thread", since there's some strong proponents of Mags, TRPs, Formulas and even Hayes. Seems like Shimano left the door open (and never bothered to close it again), and others brands finally stepped in/up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I would like to try to the MT7's I got for festivus and installed on my DH bike. But this democratic hoax bat flu thing has ruined that :(

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I am considering replacing the XTs on my trail bike with MT trail sports...shimanos are reliable performers until they aren't, whereas the maguras just seem to work. I am balls deep in shimano spares, but for the price the maguras are hard to beat. I think I got my mt5s for $120, and a new set of MT trails is like $180. I bought race pads for the MT5s but the original shitty compound would be fine for trail riding.