Quantcast

What brakes are good in 2020?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
been happy with 2 pot cura in back and 4 up front. good bleed is critical to them having decent bite (i was coming off xt's). rotor tolerances are tight, but just take a bit longer to set up. once set up, mine have been fine. used for riding locally, in pisgah, and a few lift days on my nomad.
no problem with the difference in modulation between the two? deliberating 4/2 & 4/4 options.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
nah...but i'm not very sensitive to such things. if anything, the 4s are slower to bite than the 2s - @Nick - do you agree?
I think the 4s have a softer initial bike than the 2s, or than other brake I'm using. 4s were amazing feeling and have tons of power, but damn if I couldn't EVER get rid of the rotor rub after they heated up a bit.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
no problem with the difference in modulation between the two? deliberating 4/2 & 4/4 options.
Go for the same both ends, then you use the same pads and your finely tuned meat paws can squeeze the rear ever so slightly less if required.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Cura 2 - caliper piston seals on the rear went after 2 months. I only ride on weekends nowadays, and only had about 3-4 real uplift rides on steep trails. Pretty bummed.

Anyone deal with r2-bike for warranty? Would they be the type to just send new parts to fix it or send the whole lot back? I am not looking forwards to dealing with the supreme's internal routing again.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
It's alive!
Fuck off work and go ride, report back.
How I wish... package showed up just after I left for a week of Schladming. First day back at work and the ladyfriend and child will make me atone for my absence for a while. But I shall prevail, might take another vacation day and pretend to go to work.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
How I wish... package showed up just after I left for a week of Schladming. First day back at work and the ladyfriend and child will make me atone for my absence for a while. But I shall prevail, might take another vacation day and pretend to go to work.
Now the important part. What color did they have?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
so from 12 months to 11?
As previously noted, people ordering through retailers are waiting no longer than 6 weeks at the moment. No idea if this will last - my brakes were assembled on the 20th of August, so r2 doesn't seem to have many backorders to fulfill.
Trickstuff's lead time is 1 year +.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
how are you liking yours?
Very, very much. First of all they brake well, really, really well. But they do it in an incomparable way, they are dead stable. To me that's the most important feature. It doesn't matter how long or steep the trail is, they always behave in the same way. I've run them for about 8 months now and I rode a lot this year thx to bat flu and they are still like new in every aspect, braking power, lever feel, bite point, modulation, general condition. That's something I have not experienced before. I also had a few offs this year were I hit hard things with my bars and they still look like new. What gave way were the original clamps. But I think that's on purpose like derailleur hangers. They are easily exchangeable.

What doesn't work for me is their shifter direct mount option. My X01 trigger is far too much inside and the angle doesn't work. I ride my brake levers relatively high and the trigger mount results in a parallel trigger. The position of the Bikeyoke seatpost lever is fine on the other hand.

All my buddies who have tried them were humbled by the performance of their own brakes. Every other brake is just left behind in every other aspect than short term purchase costs. Two of my friends have ordered a set already. I am not gonna ride anything else anymore.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So I finally used my jagwire "pro" bleed kit, which is basically a sh*tload of money just to get a fitting that plugs into the Hope caliper bleed valve. Stupid expensive for what you are actually using, but damn if it isn't 1000x better than the ultra-retarded standard Hope bleed. Shortened the X2 line and routed it through the frame during the build, then used the bleed to push fluid the CORRECT direction, which is up, to get the air out of the system. A little messy, but I'll take that over the painstakingly slow Hope method of trying to fight gravity and the stupid push the pistons in/out thing.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
So I finally used my jagwire "pro" bleed kit, which is basically a sh*tload of money just to get a fitting that plugs into the Hope caliper bleed valve. Stupid expensive for what you are actually using, but damn if it isn't 1000x better than the ultra-retarded standard Hope bleed. Shortened the X2 line and routed it through the frame during the build, then used the bleed to push fluid the CORRECT direction, which is up, to get the air out of the system. A little messy, but I'll take that over the painstakingly slow Hope method of trying to fight gravity and the stupid push the pistons in/out thing.
If you are pushing fluid up from the caliper, what are you doing to catch fluid at the lever, a big assed rag wrap?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
threaded syringe?
Not sure where to attach one...

1616171451465.png

Hope use a reservoir with a removable cover and diaphragm.
You normally bleed similar to how you do a car, pour fluid into the res, pump the brakes whilst opening the bleed port on the caliper.

@Jm_ seems to have attached a syringe to the caliper and is pushing fluid up, so out ot the resi at the top and into a wrapped rag is about all i can come up with unless he has some 3d printed wizardry goin on.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I bought a Hope vacuum bleed kit thing when I had V2's. I think it used to replace the MC cover and diaphragm.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not sure where to attach one...

View attachment 157968

Hope use a reservoir with a removable cover and diaphragm.
You normally bleed similar to how you do a car, pour fluid into the res, pump the brakes whilst opening the bleed port on the caliper.

@Jm_ seems to have attached a syringe to the caliper and is pushing fluid up, so out ot the resi at the top and into a wrapped rag is about all i can come up with unless he has some 3d printed wizardry goin on.
Pretty much. Lever says successful.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Does anyone actually do that on a modern car?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, but ideally with a pressure bleeder.
So I'm going to go with no. Yeah, all I hear about with cars is people using different kinds of power/pressure bleed kits. No one sitting there and opening a bleed port, stomping on the pedal, then closing the port, then adding more fluid, then opening the bleed port, stomping on the pedal again-no one does that shit. Except people with Hope brakes.