Quantcast

What brakes are good in 2020?

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I just ordered some 8.R “race compound” pads for my mt7 (I think that means they’re sintered?) holy shit are they expensive $40 an end... that is pretty much my only complaint about Magura, replacement parts are expensive and difficult to come by. But in my experience braking performance is far superior to any of the big S brakes I’ve tried...

on another note my ham fisted attempt to get a bike going quickly resulted in a near disaster. I trimmed the brake line for the front and while plugging it back in somehow the olive went in off center and fucked up the keeper bolt that goes in behind it. The threads on the plastic mc took the brunt of it and some careful plastic scraping with a dental pick saved it from the landfill. No leaks so far but I don’t want to take it apart again, ever.

Id be keen to try some Formula Cura 4 or some of the new Hayes but I got a pretty good deal on the MT7 so I’ll stick with them for now.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
TRP's . If you want something that never has real issues. Slates on my trail bike and Quadiuems on my DH bike. Just waiting for some new Trail SLC that I am getting this week.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just ordered some 8.R “race compound” pads for my mt7 (I think that means they’re sintered?) holy shit are they expensive $40 an end... that is pretty much my only complaint about Magura, replacement parts are expensive and difficult to come by. But in my experience braking performance is far superior to any of the big S brakes I’ve tried...

on another note my ham fisted attempt to get a bike going quickly resulted in a near disaster. I trimmed the brake line for the front and while plugging it back in somehow the olive went in off center and fucked up the keeper bolt that goes in behind it. The threads on the plastic mc took the brunt of it and some careful plastic scraping with a dental pick saved it from the landfill. No leaks so far but I don’t want to take it apart again, ever.

Id be keen to try some Formula Cura 4 or some of the new Hayes but I got a pretty good deal on the MT7 so I’ll stick with them for now.
That's a good point, magura parts are expensive af. I had to buy the race compound pass as the stock one didn't have the bolts. Aftermarket pads didn't include the bolts. I also wanted to swap the hc levers with tool free adjust, but they made them incompatible and 80 a side

The plastic master cylinders are stupid too. I keep my eyes peeled for good alternatives, but I suppose keeping things light isn't horrible

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
You guys ordering Magura parts from Europe? Parts are way, way cheaper over there, the pricing is in metric or something. bike-discount has the 8r pads for 24 European pesos, shipping is spendy, but if you only order 2 pairs of pads you’ll still come out $10-15 ahead

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Just had a chance to ride Dominion A4's. I think I'm going to buy a set to replace my codes. Lever feel, contact point, power - they had it all.

No idea what reliability will be like, but can't be worse than the Codes.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
You guys ordering Magura parts from Europe? Parts are way, way cheaper over there, the pricing is in metric or something. bike-discount has the 8r pads for 24 European pesos, shipping is spendy, but if you only order 2 pairs of pads you’ll still come out $10-15 ahead
Bike-discount or bike-components is where I get a lot of my parts, a bunch of tyres with other small parts at the start of the season more than offsets their shipping costs.

For some reason bike-discount has stopped listing USA as a destination though :(

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I just ordered some 8.R “race compound” pads for my mt7 (I think that means they’re sintered?) holy shit are they expensive $40 an end... that is pretty much my only complaint about Magura, replacement parts are expensive and difficult to come by.
Get them from Merlin Cycles and get extras to offset the shipping cost. $24 a set and $13 to ship the order.

I got the Performance pads for $17 a set, 4 sets for $70.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Hope E4's. Won't ride another brake without a free-play adjuster again. For anyone who's picky about the "lash" in brakes, these are the ones to have.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I’m starting to think I just had shitty pads in mine.

Loved the lever feel. Tank-like solidity on all the adjuster knobs.

loving my MT7...
I still giggle every time I hit the brakes with my MT5s. the power and modulation is soooo beyond anything I knew before, it's ridiculous.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
If you're mechanically inclined..... Formula The Ones (so old they'll likely need a refurbish) with Shimano L04C (finned) pads. Heaps of power with a 220mm rotor on the front of my 26er. Back is also really good with a 180mm.

I imagine 2 pot Curas would be about the same, if not better.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Bike-discount or bike-components is where I get a lot of my parts, a bunch of tyres with other small parts at the start of the season more than offsets their shipping costs.

For some reason bike-discount has stopped listing USA as a destination though :(
was just looking at some mt's from bd. apparently there's (covid, presumably) issues with their north american freight carrier (DHL) currently, so north american sales is temporarily unavailable. le sigh.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
was just looking at some mt's from bd. apparently there's (covid, presumably) issues with their north american freight carrier (DHL) currently, so north american sales is temporarily unavailable. le sigh.
Once they start shipping again, the best deal for MT7's is the BD plus rotors package if the 200/180 combo will work for you.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Have any of you guys ever ordered from starbike? They seem to have some really good prices on a lot of Magura parts and some other hard to find stuff.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
isn’t duty going to smash you?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
But why? The Hope V4 caliper barely has more slave piston area than a Cura 2, and way less than a C4.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
does anyone know what goes into bleeding TRP? syringe method? are the fittings the same as anyone else?
Are you getting new TRPs or you wanting to bleed an existing set? If they're new, its set up so that you just trim the brake line, slam the barb in that sexy hole, put on the olive and install the line into the MC. If you have existing brakes, you can bleed it from the bottom with the usual fittings.

Pro Tip from @Udi - if you want fade free, COVID destroying power, you should use essential oils in lieu of mineral oil.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
What brake pads are people using with the G-specs? Non-finned Saint metallics?
I could only afford one pair of metallic pads, but the metallic/hot poo half&half combo has been adequate for me. I like its modulation.
435dtz.gif

...does anyone know what goes into bleeding TRP? syringe method? are the fittings the same as anyone else?
2019 & newer calipers have plugs in the bleed port instead of bleed nipples, so syringe method if you want thorough bleed job, but TRP sells a Shimano-esque lever bucket (the screw threads not the same as Shimano).

I bought mine used, allegedly with 400 miles on. I've since put about 2000 miles on, and finally experienced a bit of bite point inconsistency a couple of weeks ago. Quick bucket bleeding (my calipers have nipples) took care of the problem, though I'll probably get new lever pistons from TRP.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
first impressions on cura 4s, just bedding them in a riding on the street.
Bled up easy enough with the usual 2 syringe method but throw is still really long biting almost at the grip, which i dont mind but it feels too wierd with the long as fuck reach, idk if i fucked it up i was getting no bubbles.
Powers alright despite the fucky ergonomics. I want to say give them a miss for now, but i havent ridden them on dh yet.

birdman2447

Chimp
Aug 6, 2008
/subscribed.

where did you get them? how much with what rotors?

does anyone know what goes into bleeding TRP? syringe method? are the fittings the same as anyone else?
QBP had a few pairs of each front and rear as of last weekend. They didn’t have the new rotors nor does TRP direct, but the old rotors supposedly work pretty good. Went 203mm for the enduro bike. Also bought the TRP adapters and bleed kit from TRP direct.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Anyone got any tips on Magura bleeds? I had to do it twice to get it right and seems solid now. I ended up doing sort of a combination of interweb recommendations and maguras bleed info. The second time I did it I kept the caliper above the mc the whole time and pulled the lever in slightly until I quit seeing air bubbles coming out on the caliper side. Another head scratcher was when I did it maguras way with the caliper bleed port as the system high point I would take the syringe off the caliper and could see that the caliper was not completely full of fluid. Doing it their way and just slamming the bolt back in after that I can’t see how that wouldn’t introduce air into the system!? I ended up removing the syringe and then topping it off with fluid (until the fluid was nearly over running the caliper) then installing the bolt through that little bit of extra fluid....

The thing I thought was weird was that I wasn’t getting any bubbles on the mc side by just pushing but low and behold when I started the lever pull trick bubbles would work their way into the caliper side syringe. The frustrating part is there would be a few bubbles at the end and it was tough to get them to finally go to the top of the syringe.

One last thing, I drilled a hole in the mc side syringe at the 30mm mark, when I got done with the bleed I got expensive elf’s blood er. Magura blood all over hell’s half acre. I thought I was just being a muppet but even when I pressed the syringe on the mc side back in past the 30mm mark it still squirted out all over the god damn place. What stupid thing am I doing wrong over here?

Last edited: