Quantcast

What brands are made by Giant?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Well, interesting info learned on his trip: Glory and 88 frame are made SIDE BY SIDE. Same welder, same equipment, and what appeared to be even the same metal alloys. All the metal tubing is outsourced too, nothing fancy or proprietary is seemed. But one is $1k more...

Also, the 88 tubing was significantly thinner than the glory. He got to look at them all side by side and said the 88 tubing was identical thickness as the Anthem tubing

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
gemini2k, where did You get that info from?
I am pretty sure Giant does it's FluidFormed tubes in-house. That's one of the main Giant advantages over competitors. As well as having own CF dept.
I am not so sure, 88s are made at Giant. I haven't seen top-high-end Treks when I was at GTM.
Giant does tubing the way customer wants. Price point is totally different story. 2010 Glory frame has special price on US market. Look elsewhere... it's 2000eur in Europe.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Well, interesting info learned on his trip: Glory and 88 frame are made SIDE BY SIDE. Same welder, same equipment, and what appeared to be even the same metal alloys. All the metal tubing is outsourced too, nothing fancy or proprietary is seemed. But one is $1k more...

Also, the 88 tubing was significantly thinner than the glory. He got to look at them all side by side and said the 88 tubing was identical thickness as the Anthem tubing
surprising....maybe not so surpising.

"Ignore that man behind curtain.".........:greedy:

J

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I am pretty sure Giant does it's FluidFormed tubes in-house. That's one of the main Giant advantages over competitors. As well as having own CF dept.
I am not so sure, 88s are made at Giant. I haven't seen top-high-end Treks when I was at GTM.
True: Giant does their own fluidformed tubes.
True: Giant has their own carbon dept.
True: Giant makes the session 88.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Are you sure the tubing is outsourced and not hydro-formed by Giant in another building?
Ah sorry. I should've been clear. Yes the all the forming is done in house.
Frango, I am SURE the 88's are there. MY downhill-riding-mecanical-engineer friend saw it them being made side by side with his own two eyes. How's THAT for e-spec :P.

Roy

Chimp
Oct 8, 2017
I have just bought an old steel road bike with a Dura Ace Groupset. Its called a 'le tortoise'. I am told it was made by Giant. I haven't ridden it yet because it needs work but the name alone means it must be very fast.