Quantcast

What brands are made by Giant?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Anyone know what brands FOR SURE are made by giant at their Taiwanese facility? I know like 99.9999% of bikes are made by them, but I want to know for sure. One of my buddies is heading there and might try and score some stuff and wants to have a plan at least. Thanks!

(High end brands are the only concern obviously)

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
there are only a handful of factories that makes bikes in Taiwan (3 or 4 really)... multiple brands are welded to spec in these factories. Giant the factory happens to be one of the large ones.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
there are only a handful of factories that makes bikes in Taiwan (3 or 4 really)... multiple brands are welded to spec in these factories. Giant the factory happens to be one of the large ones.
Yes sorry I should've specified. I thought this was common knowledge. A vast majority of bikes are essentially outsourced to giant for mfg. Thus, many brands are made in their taiwanese factory (factories?). I was just wondering what those brands might be. I'd imagine that those bikes are "made" by them, not just under the same roof.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
i wonder if the 10yr old kids working for $1.25 a week in those factories know the hundreds of frames they make a week sell for over $1000 each:thumb:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
specialized havent been made in the giant facilities for many years now. Specialized bought meridia for their manufacturing facilities and have since moved all their manufacturing there.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
heh... ignorance is funny. unless of course sarcasm is funny... :rofl:
to be honest, I'm not sure what I was going for with the comment.

The only thing I could think about was this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SX6xCJ2qAP4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SX6xCJ2qAP4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
specialized havent been made in the giant facilities for many years now. Specialized bought meridia for their manufacturing facilities and have since moved all their manufacturing there.
Actually, it's the other way around. Merida bought a (rather big) percentage of Specialized stocks. The number was never disclosed to public, but rumor says it's something around 53%.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Anyone know what brands FOR SURE are made by giant at their Taiwanese facility? I know like 99.9999% of bikes are made by them, but I want to know for sure. One of my buddies is heading there and might try and score some stuff and wants to have a plan at least. Thanks!

Over 90% suspension frameset nowaday is made in Taiwan and except GIANT bike, Pacific bike, Meride make Trek & Specalized.... and so on.

I am not sure did the US monkey know since 2009 most of the Santa Cruz cycles is also MADE IN TAIWAN.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
i wonder if the 10yr old kids working for $1.25 a week in those factories know the hundreds of frames they make a week sell for over $1000 each:thumb:
Eh - Taiwan has one of the largest financial reserves of any nation, and has a very high quality of life index (higher then Germany, France and the UK).

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
It was 49% as far as i know
Yup. That was at the first operation they did. That's when Spec got the capital injection that helped the company get on its feet again. Then, Merida performed another massive stock buy. But their CEO stated they didn't have any plans to merge the two companies together. They wanted Specialized to remain a totally autonomous company, more high-end aimed.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Yup. That was at the first operation they did. That's when Spec got the capital injection that helped the company get on its feet again. Then, Merida performed another massive stock buy. But their CEO stated they didn't have any plans to merge the two companies together. They wanted Specialized to remain a totally autonomous company, more high-end aimed.
It's all about perception. General Mills/Pillsbury owns the Haagen Dazs ice cream brand, and very wisely, they try their darndest to obscure that because the Pillsbury brand image doesn't necessarily scream rich, creamy ice cream decadence.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Ok cool I work in a merida dealer and we were told by merida them it was 49% didn't know about the second transaction. As far as i know Merida are second only to giant so I'm sure they do some other production other than specialized. As far as i know Lapierre frames are made in the Giant factory

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
What I've seen, was Trek and Specialized at Giant factory on Taiwan. But, as Specialized is owned by Merida (as far as I know more than 50%), they might have moved production do Merida factory.
I also heard some SC were made by Giant. I guess these with fluid formed tubes.

Last edited:

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008

What's he going to do? Walk up to the factory gates and ask the security guard if he can buy an unpainted "insert high end frame here"? :thumb:

dhr-racer

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
A, A
its not just "what frames are made by giant" its what parts of the frame are made by giant. while it may be but together at another factory, that factory might be having drop-outs, machining, tubing, etc, made by giant because they dont have the tooling, the outsourcie doing outsourcing if you will

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
If Your friend works for i.e. Specialized most probably won't be able to buy anything from Giant or Trek stuff. Although, bikes are made under the same roof, different people are responsible, etc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If Your friend works for i.e. Specialized most probably won't be able to buy anything from Giant or Trek stuff. Although, bikes are made under the same roof, different people are responsible, etc.
What, you mean you don't get to walk right up to the line and take whatever you want?

The only Chinese factories I've been in were like a crazy free for all! Ever seen the show "Most Extreme Challenge"? Its like that but there's manufacturing equipment thrown into the mix.

*Disclaimer: the contents of this post were fabricated in their entirety.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Giant doesn't really like to disclose what they are currently building for who, but they do like to talk up what they have built in the past.

Back in the day when schwinn was the big brand Giant made them

Nishiki was big for a while, not as much in the US but elsewhere.

Would you believe Colnago frames weren't all built by some old Italian guy?

You can look right back to when Merida took over all of the manufacturing of Specialized, not just the lower end stuff. Look back to when maestro suspension hit the line, and higher end Giants were made with hydroformed tubing, with their own name on them

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
What, you mean you don't get to walk right up to the line and take whatever you want?

The only Chinese factories I've been in were like a crazy free for all! Ever seen the show "Most Extreme Challenge"? Its like that but there's manufacturing equipment thrown into the mix.

*Disclaimer: the contents of this post were fabricated in their entirety.
Maybe I don't understand perfectly what You write, but, no, You don't enter Giant Taiwanese factory like a shopping mall.

Would you believe Colnago frames weren't all built by some old Italian guy?
Oh yes, I forgot that... It was a good one :)

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
its not just "what frames are made by giant" its what parts of the frame are made by giant. while it may be but together at another factory, that factory might be having drop-outs, machining, tubing, etc, made by giant because they dont have the tooling, the outsourcie doing outsourcing if you will

Most of Giant's bicycle production is aimed to the Asian commuting/city market. Something close to 78% of their production, if I don't recall badly.

As for Santa Cruz, I think I remember an article posted in the Solo Bici Magazine from Spain talking about a visit to Kinesis factory. There was a picture of several V10's rear triangles ready to be painted.

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Slightly more to it than that.
i don't know. the black / gray market may actually offer some interesting opportunities.

While China and Taiwan aren't the same (um...no need to go into the political nuances of that statement here), the black market in China was nuts when I was there. You could buy damned near anything. A lot of it was crap and fakes, but there were some real gems too.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Lots of times they don't even allow cameras inside so actually buying something from the factory might be tough. If you do then the prices are incredible.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
i highly doubt they will let you buy "X"frame from the warehouse. I doubt they even have extras there. If Giant puts an order for 5,000 glory frames to be built they will build 5,000. not 5,100 and then sell off the other 100 to walk ins. Plus you will not have warranty on the bike and if you do break it and hurt yourself you could go back and sue the warehouse, they will not have that.

so i think your chances are pretty slim, but than again you never told us what your plans are.

care to share??