Quantcast

What CAble/Housing?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by swiss_less
Avid. Shimano XTR is nothing special.
Do you know which kind is the best? Straight or flack?

Just wanted to make sure it wouldn't bust on me (the housing) becasue i was testing shifting before a race one time, then bam, no more housing.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
The avids don't have that good a reputation in the Uk.

I don't know what is better about xtr than normal shimano cables which are better sealed than they used to be.

If you don't see a lot of mud I would get standard shimano cables.

If you ride in mud lot ride on goretex cables are expensive but work very well.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
ive only ever had that on my XTR when i wasnt using the little black endcaps other than that my XTR's have beend flawless
might try the avid metal jackets soon tho

JohnMc

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
St. Louis, MO
Another vote for the Gore's. They will eventually wear out but for a very long time they will be silky smooth, friction free, and not be affected in the least by epic doses of mud, dust, sand, whatever.

gtastro

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
in the 253
Gore ride ons will where out but up in the PNW they rule over all others...nothing else works longer than 10 minutes into a ride...

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I don't know what Gore's are like now but they were nothing special when they first came out. I went through a set in one particularly muddy race. Water got in the liner and the cable rusted by next morning. Plus they cost $80 a pair in Canada back then.

Clark's make a teflon coated cable and all housing has a plastic liner. As its not possible to totally seal the system, I don't see the point of the expense of Gore. Is it cheaper now? No one sells the stuff here in Vancouver anymore.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have had both Gore Ride On and Avid cables. The Gores are much better. But if they are not installed correctly you are wasting your money. They are not cheap but you can get'em from pricepoint for less than $30 right now.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Gore is the way to go if you've got the money.

Or just run full length standard housing, that's what I do. It does pretty much the same thing as Gore, just not as clean looking if you have to zip tie the housing to the frame.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I just put the Avid full mettal jackets and the flack jackets onmy bike. I like the sistem its nice. I allso use to have the Gore cables on my road bike and i loved them. I would recamend eather.

JohnMc

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
St. Louis, MO
Originally posted by Westy
I have had both Gore Ride On and Avid cables. The Gores are much better. But if they are not installed correctly you are wasting your money. They are not cheap but you can get'em from pricepoint for less than $30 right now.
Sweet! I think I'll put some on my beater road/cross bike!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I've heard that it's stupid to pay for XTR and other expensive cable/housing and you're better off just buying the cheap stuff and replace it often. But what do i know?:devil:

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Originally posted by JMAC
I've heard that it's stupid to pay for XTR and other expensive cable/housing and you're better off just buying the cheap stuff and replace it often. But what do i know?:devil:
In very muddy conditions you would end up replacing your cables every half hour.

New rideons last me over a year with out touching them shimano can last al little as 2 weeks before they need to be removed and cleaned. Pretty much any cables work in the dry.

Disk brakes ride-on cables and powerlinks are a godsend if you ride in the mud a lot.
Now all I need are better jockeywheels, chainsuck proof chainrings and front mechs that dont' scoop mud from the tyre into the chain.

Cheap pedals that can cope with spending half their life undewater would be nice to.

Originally posted by NRSracer
thanks for all the info, it can sometimes be extremely muddy, but sometimes extremely dry here, so i think i'm going to get the gore-tex.
does the $50 kit on Cambria-bike come with 2 brakesets and 2 shiftersets?
http://cambriabike.com/shift&der/cables.htm
Unfortunatly that is just a shifter set (front and rear). Try Pricepoint, they have the shifter set for $31.

It used to be you could buy a set and have a cable for your DH and DS bikes. But then they got wise and started cutting one of the cables short so you could only use it on the front shifter.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
it isn't just one long cable housing for the rear derailleur is it?
wouldn't there be too much slack for accurate shifting, or is it just a seal where there are breaks in the housing?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
that's the thing, i have the cheap stuff. And it really sucks. after i clean it, lubed or unlubed, i can feel a loss in shifting and even more in braking. some of the shifting loss can be attributed to my 8-month old extremely abused chain, but when i clean the cables it shifts a lot smoother.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
that's the thing, i have the cheap stuff. And it really sucks. after i clean it, lubed or unlubed, i can feel a loss in shifting and even more in braking. some of the shifting loss can be attributed to my 8-month old extremely abused chain, but when i clean the cables it shifts a lot smoother.
i just run regular shimano housing and replace my housing and cables and replace them from time to time. not that big of a deal really. adding lube to dirty cables isn't going to help them out a whole lot just make them even gritter.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya i think indieboy is right just get normal ones when you get new ones they work perfect i can't ask for anything better and they're cheap if they get really muddy just get new ones.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ya i think indieboy is right just get normal ones when you get new ones they work perfect i can't ask for anything better and they're cheap if they get really muddy just get new ones.
exactly. no need in being a bum. and gives you the chance to work on your bike :D

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Jagwire Rattler-Macs for the brakes man! Shifters, I'd go with regular cables and housings, as they'll probably be replaced multiple time per season compared with the brake lines...its worked for me at least.:thumb:

JohnMc

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
St. Louis, MO
it isn't just one long cable housing for the rear derailleur is it?
wouldn't there be too much slack for accurate shifting, or is it just a seal where there are breaks in the housing?
The Gore cables are not full length cable housings. They sue regular shorter sections of housing. The trick is a full length thin plastic sheath that goes from beginning to end without breaks. The slippery coated cable slides inside that sheath. The sheath fits inside the housings. There is no seal up at the handlebar, but generally you are getting too much muck, water, and grint on the handlebars. The far end has an accordion seal between the cable and the sheath. This non-sliding seal does a perfect job of keeping grit out, assuming its installed correctly.