what cars do mountain bikers drive?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
75 mph is the US model... this was in germany... basically all of the euro cars sold (bmw, audi, vw, volvo) the euro and US spec models are different - restricted engines, different lighting configurations, seat belt mounts etc...

our xc70 has an electronic governor that limits it at 120mph... our car is a US speccer... i ve been on the autobahn and had the same vehicle zoom past at around 150mph... the euro version (EXACTLY) the same car has no elec governor at all...

i imagine the smart cars are the same... yeah, 600cc i believe... but when the vehicle weights about as much as an orange thats why they can go pretty quick...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
There is a ton of smartcars in montreal and the surrounding area for some reason. They typically do about 110/120kmh on the highway, the car does look a little shakey at that speed though.

The diesel is 800cc and they get something absurd like 70mpg.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Transcend said:
They typically do about 110/120kmh on the highway, the car does look a little shakey at that speed though.

lemme tell ya, when ya see one flying at 150 - 160 kmph on the autobahn, you start to wonder about the sanity of the person behind the wheel...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The Smart Cars are cool - They will do at least a ton. They also surpass the 100BHP per litre mark by quite a bit. The best bit is that you can park them nose-on to the curb and the back still sits inside most regular parking spaces. Very convenient and opens up a lot of parking opportunities.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
partsbara said:
lemme tell ya, when ya see one flying at 150 - 160 kmph on the autobahn, you start to wonder about the sanity of the person behind the wheel...
Ya I don't doubt that. I believe the cnd ones are limited at 125 or something. It looks way sketchy when they change lanes at 110kmh, we literally thought one was tipping over on the way to bromont a few weeks ago.

As for the parking, they were designed to be shorter than a truck is wide, so ya, you can park those things everywhere. I thin kthe official claim is that you can park 3 smart cars the wrong way in a typical supermarket parking spot meant for 1 car.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Transcend said:
My chicks Yaris Sedan is rated at 40 city, 50 highway. Non hybrid. It gets about 35/45 realistically.
I don't think my breasts are big enough for a Yaris... :oink:

Seriously though... as an emergency measure I bought a 2005 Chevy Aveo for $9,999.00. Its rated at 35 HWY but I almost always get 38 to 40 since 90% of my drving is at 60MPH on the freeway.

I thought I would hate it but the fact is I kind of like it - I'd been driving Ford F150s for years but the cost of gas and a long commute. There is nothing wrong with my Aveo except I have 40,000 miles on it in about 16 months... that and it has no power windows, crap radio and no cruise control.

I'll look into the Yaris. I've also thought of a Honda FIT but haven't test driven one yet. :)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Serial Midget said:
I don't think my breasts are big enough for a Yaris... :oink:

Seriously though... as an emergency measure I bought a 2005 Chevy Aveo for $9,999.00. Its rated at 35 HWY but I almost always get 38 to 40 since 90% of my drving is at 60MPH on the freeway.

I thought I would hate it but the fact is I kind of like it - I'd been driving Ford F150s for years but the cost of gas and a long commute. There is nothing wrong with my Aveo except I have 40,000 miles on it in about 16 months... that and it has no power windows, crap radio and no cruise control.

I'll look into the Yaris. I've also thought of a Honda FIT but haven't test driven one yet. :)
She looked at the fit but wasn't super psyched. The Yaris hatchback is the size of a grocery cart, but the sedan is surprisingly roomie. I can fit 1 DH bike, 1 Dj bike and a humongous piece of oakley luggage, her normal sized suitcase, extra wheels, tires, tools, riding gear etc all in here. Oh, and a 24 of Molson Canadian of course.

I think it is supposed to be 6 inches shorter and 1 inch narrower than a corolla.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Serial Midget said:
My dream car will get 40 plus MPG without being a hybrid... suggestions? Civic, Corolla...
I had an '89 Honda CRX DX and I got an average of 42mpg and I drove like an idiot. It was a great summer car, but I sold it soon after it snowed because is was way too light o be any good. For warmer weather, it was a perfect car because it was fun to drive and got great milage.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Salami said:
From the sounds of it you got at least as much money (if not more) into your truck than I have in my car.
I wasn't talking about my truck. So far I have about $1200 into my truck (including the $600 I paid for it). When I'm done, it will be about $5000 (after LS1 and 6 speed conversion), but the nice thing about a "classic" is in 10 years if I decide to sell it, I will get twice what I put into it. Where will your Honda be in 10 years?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
dogwonder said:
I take back my original dream car...this is what I want!

I was just offered a chance to buy the very first one of those imported to the U.S. and registered in Cali. all they wanted was a hair over $30,000 for it. Needless to say I passed on that offer, but if one could be had for a decent price they are great little cars. I've driven the standard Smart and the Brabus version, the Brabus one is like a shifterkart, but tall. They do not handle well at all, infact it was the worst handeling car I'd ever driven, and I drive a lifted LandRover without swaybars:dead: . For city driving they are great and very usefull, I'm interested in how the US market will use them, Zap motors is importing them to most states by the way, they will do all the states in the near future. As for getting wobly at over 65mph, yes they do, but then so does every other economy car I've driven. And yes you can put a roof-rack on it and park 3-4 in a normal size spot.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Serial Midget said:
My dream car will get 40 plus MPG without being a hybrid... suggestions? Civic, Corolla...
My '97 Civic LX gets about 35mpg for the most part. That's with about 2/3 of it going 80+ on the highway, and the other third being city driving. Not to mention I could probably drive it much more conservatively than I do.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm going to keep track of my new commute, its about 60 miles but a good portion of it will be in traffic. My previous commute was 50 miles with no traffic at all - that probably has something to do with the good milage I am getting.

I have a feeling my new commute is going to require more comfort and a better sound system. My other dream car would be a BMW 3 series sport wagon... most likely a dumb choice for a car that I will drive over 30,000 miles a year. I'd feel cool though... :)

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
habitatxskate said:
i think you mean"I wonder if my bike would put too much stress on the super intensely fast engine.." i don't think a bike rack of any kind would fit any mtb, maybe a bmx if you are lucky..definately a "unique gas saver"
A bike rack may not fit on it but I think it may fit in the back of the Avalanche. :thumb:

There's something to say about being able to pack a spare car for a trip.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
maxyedor said:
I was just offered a chance to buy the very first one of those imported to the U.S. and registered in Cali. all they wanted was a hair over $30,000 for it. Needless to say I passed on that offer, but if one could be had for a decent price they are great little cars. I've driven the standard Smart and the Brabus version, the Brabus one is like a shifterkart, but tall. They do not handle well at all, infact it was the worst handeling car I'd ever driven, and I drive a lifted LandRover without swaybars:dead: . For city driving they are great and very usefull, I'm interested in how the US market will use them, Zap motors is importing them to most states by the way, they will do all the states in the near future. As for getting wobly at over 65mph, yes they do, but then so does every other economy car I've driven. And yes you can put a roof-rack on it and park 3-4 in a normal size spot.
I when for a Interview with them two years ago for a Industrial design job, but nothing happend...

i for sure love the concept and the way they are build makes perfect sense...

Mercedes (smart) was not sure at the time if they will ever import them into the USA do to the size of the vehicles that populate the north american streetsm but then again the gas cost 1.7 dollars and now is almost double....

I still don't know how to drive a car, but one of this will make me change my mind i thik..

for now my trusty old bike delivers all i need.

plus the Smart cars are as long as any full size motorcycle (mine with the rack and the bikes is far longer) so you can park them agains the sidewalk saving tons of space

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
patineto said:
I when for a Interview with them two years ago for a Industrial design job, but nothing happend...

i for sure love the concept and the way they are build makes perfect sense...

Mercedes (smart) was not sure at the time if they will ever import them into the USA do to the size of the vehicles that populate the north american streetsm but then again the gas cost 1.7 dollars and now is almost double....
I think Americans are still in love with their monster vehicles, which is why sub-compacts have an inferiority complex and scooters/mopeds are considered to be jokes.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
sanjuro said:
I think Americans are still in love with their monster vehicles, which is why sub-compacts have an inferiority complex and scooters/mopeds are considered to be jokes.
tell me about...

but is all matter of scale, I spend a few weeks in barcelona riding a big GS (like my bike) and I felt like GUlliver in the land of the tynny sorrounded by a million scotters that actually were far faster than me and the clumssy big bike on city streets...

San francisco is changing big time in the scotter department in fact they are almost as popular this days as the trendy fix wheel bikes, maybe someday the Honda dream's will be back, specially when the gas reach $5 or even $6 per gallon

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
patineto said:
tell me about...

but is all matter of scale, I spend a few weeks in barcelona riding a big GS (like my bike) and I felt like GUlliver in the land of the tynny sorrounded by a million scotters that actually were far faster than me and the clumssy big bike on city streets...

San francisco is changing big time in the scotter department in fact they are almost as popular this days as the trendy fix wheel bikes, maybe someday the Honda dream's will be back, specially when the gas reach $5 or even $6 per gallon
Some huge superbike is definitely unwieldy on the city streets. As you already know, there are not many "open" roads in the Bay Area, where power is king (although I have a friend with a Yamaha R1 who top-time from Pleasant Hill to the Fremont Street exit, about 25 miles, is 19 minutes).

I am thinking about getting a supermoto/dual sport. I figure the agility and the high position is better for city traffic than a regular street bike.

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
berkeley, ca
sanjuro said:
Some huge superbike is definitely unwieldy on the city streets. As you already know, there are not many "open" roads in the Bay Area, where power is king (although I have a friend with a Yamaha R1 who top-time from Pleasant Hill to the Fremont Street exit, about 25 miles, is 19 minutes).
almost anybody can do that, is just matter of how long you can do before you get stop by the cops or even wrost some distracted lady on a mamiVan..

I have cross the baybridge lanesplitting with 3" - 5" to spare many times with my bicycles on the top and everything at speeds above 85Mph and is much as i like the rush get old really fast..
I am thinking about getting a supermoto/dual sport. I figure the agility and the high position is better for city traffic than a regular street bike.
I see sportbikes as pedal "Roadbikes" when motardars, enduros or big dual sport bikes like The BMW GS and the KTM 950 feel far more like a mountain bike that you can control far better and they reach super dupper fast...

Motards are very trendy this days, but they require a lot of speed to really perform power slides at comand and for sure a lot of skills not to mension expensive tickets for reckless driving, a normal enduro bike (21" front/18" rear") with dirt tyres will slide all over the place (for good or bad) but is a million tyres that perform well on the street with out to much sliding...

I have two serius motard machines (610Husky and a 600cc husagerg) a few years ago but as much as they prove to be really fun and a great learning tool (confidence builders) they were also to unpractical and in one word similar to a molotov Cocktail if you catch my drift...

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
The reason I want a motard is because I'm already comfortable of large displacement dirtbikes (see xr600, cr500, yz450f etc) and translating that to street shouldn't be hard.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Screw that little Smart car, I want what's in front of it! I NEED a TDI Touran. C'mon VW of A, bring THAT to the US...and Lupos and Polos too.

-ska todd

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ska todd said:
Screw that little Smart car, I want what's in front of it! I NEED a TDI Touran. C'mon VW of A, bring THAT to the US...and Lupos and Polos too.

-ska todd
I<3Lupo's

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I've spied a Polo here on LI a couple times in jazz blue w/ black grill & trim. I think it's a consulate worker's car or something. That and a S6 Avant I've seen w/ europlates f & r...yummy...

edit - at least I blew my 666th post talking about Audi's and VW's and not ripping into bballe again.

-ska todd

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Transcend said:
She looked at the fit but wasn't super psyched. The Yaris hatchback is the size of a grocery cart, but the sedan is surprisingly roomie. I can fit 1 DH bike, 1 Dj bike and a humongous piece of oakley luggage, her normal sized suitcase, extra wheels, tires, tools, riding gear etc all in here. Oh, and a 24 of Molson Canadian of course.

I think it is supposed to be 6 inches shorter and 1 inch narrower than a corolla.
what year? 2006?
i´ve had a 2000 and currently i have a 2006.

night and day difference in terms of room, interior design and lack or progesterone. its a great small car, specially the new one if it turns out as reliable as the old one.

i put on my 2000 50k miles of heavy stop-go city traffic, never had any problems, never skipped a beat. thats why i got a second one. (plus i got a killer deal).

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Transcend said:
2006, brand new off the lot. It is an amazing car for the price.
i absolutely agree with that.

i got the car, 4 years of insurance, 4 years supply of tires, 4 years worth of maintenance (labor/parts included) for $14500.

the closest thing pricewise would not even compare. and the closest thing value/worth wise would have been around the $20k mark.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I have been beating up on a VW Toran Diesel while working on temp. assignment in Hungary... nice little car with an odd shape... what is the extra headroom for? I mean I stand 6'1" and have like 10" of headroom...

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
ska todd said:

-ska todd
Yeah... so many cool TDI's that never made it here...

Passat V6 TDI 6 spd (I saw one of these in PA w/ Swedish tags. Owner brought it with him while here for a temp job).

And a Eurovan TDI 6 spd would be the tits... :love:

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
JohnnyBoyDH said:
I wish....:rolleyes:

Forester STI...low 13 second 1/4 mile, 300 HP, Brembo Brakes, AWD SUV that can carry all my bike gear to the races sounds good to me.
..and it topped the lesbian category...

...just say "I'm a lesbian in a man's body".