Quantcast

What Catagory?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I know this is a lame thread but here goes: I am old (38) and maybe this is a midlife crisis thing, but I am thinking about racing at GES Highland this weekend. I have raced before but it was so long ago that is really doesn't count. I don't train, obviously am not working my way up the ranks, ride once a week (at Highland) but am fairly fast and can keep up with semi-pro (and a fair amount of pro) level guys when I am pushing it in a non race scenario.

If I were to race cat 2 (sport equivilant?) I think I would probably win. If I race cat 1(expert?) and put together a good run I think I could podium.? It's all the same course so there is no incentive there. I have no idea what "prizes" are like and if there is any difference between cats in this regard.

I obviously would like to do well but also don't want there to be the overwhelming oppinion that I "sand bagged". Also, because I haven't raced, maybe I'm miss judging my abilities as the guys I am comparing myself to maybe **** loads faster on race day..

Oh, I also don't have a liscense so I would have to get a day liscence..does this dictate my options? Any oppinions on the situation?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
you'll need a USAC liscense for expert/cat 1 at this weekend's highland race. I think it's 60 bucks but the internet can tell you. Sport is a day pass.

If you can keep up with really good riders when they're all out racing, then you should race cat 1. If you're kind of a chump, race sport. I don't really know where I fall, so I'll probably start with sport, and if I win/podium move up to expert/cat 1. I vote sport and then expert next time, and you can buy a real liscense.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
You're in a tricky spot, man. Here are the facts as I see them:

1. You would destroy the field in Cat. 2. I've seen you ride at Highland plenty of times, and I have no doubt of this.
2. You'd probably podium pretty easily - if not win - in Cat. 1.
3. I'm about 95% sure you can only get a 1-day license for Cat. 2 and Cat. 3. For Cat. 1 or pro, you need to purchase a full year license (paging Seplavy to verify this).

So what to do? If you really want to race and don't want to blow the $$ on a license, just enter Cat. 2 and either ask the USAC official to throw out your time before the results are posted or explain your situation and apologize to the other dudes on the podium (handing your prize to whomever gets second place would be a cool gesture, too).

. . . On the other hand, if you really want to rub it in, you could hop up on the podium, sans prosthesis, and act like you just took up DHing recently as a way to rehab from losing the leg. ;-)

See you at Highland next weekend,

John

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
. . . On the other hand, if you really want to rub it in, you could hop up on the podium, sans prosthesis, and act like you just took up DHing recently as a way to rehab from losing the leg. ;-)
Ohhhh....I know who you are. Yeah, race expert/cat1 or do as John P. says. Too fast for sport.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Hmm, OK. Thanks for the kind words, although I have no endurance so I could easily end up blowing my wad and eating that tree on the corner at the bottom of the waterfall/steep section on Hemlock:)

I guess I'll try to get a hold of GES and see if I can get a liscense or not at this short of notice. My company will pay for it so that is not a huge issue. As far as handing the prize over...I don't know, I'm kinda partial to pint glasses:0

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
You can actually purchase a USAC license online any time this week and use it this weekend. Just print out the confirmation with your license number and bring that with you to the race. You'll see lots of people at races (especially early in the season) who have not yet received their membership card and only have the printout.

FYI, the Cat 1 30-39 is pretty goddamn fast. There are a ton of pros who turn 30 and figure "WTF, I'm sick of training and finishing mid-pack; I'll just race Cat 1." Now that Semi-pro has been sacked, there are even more of those sorts. The guy currently sitting in first place in CAt 1 30-39 for the series, my buddy Robin Klinkert, is a former world cup pro, for chrisakes. In any event, you're fast enough to do just fine this weekend. Me? Not so much . . . :)

Here's to hoping they pad that tree at the bottom...

--JP

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Yeah, that is what I figured. I know this much, my conditioning now verses 8 years ago is night and day...It''s probably the only one I'll do, family will be there..we'll see!

[FYI, the Cat 1 30-39 is pretty goddamn fast. There are a ton of pros who turn 30 and figure "WTF, I'm sick of training and finishing mid-pack; I'll just race Cat 1." Now that Semi-pro has been sacked, there are even more of those sorts. The guy currently sitting in first place in CAt 1 30-39 for the series, my buddy Robin Klinkert, is a former world cup pro, for chrisakes. In any event, you're fast enough to do just fine this weekend. Me? Not so much . . . :)

Here's to hoping they pad that tree at the bottom...

--JP[/QUOTE]

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
3. For Cat. 1 or pro, you need to purchase a full year license (paging Seplavy to verify this).
Yes, this is correct. Also, if you want to accumulate series or season points in Cat 2/3 you also need a year license.

You can purchase online, print your authorization to ride form, and off to the races you go (your physical license generally shows up in a few days by mail).

-ska todd

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Just got word from Dan Mcdonald at GES. Apparently I have to "earn" the cat 1,and or, pro liscense, by working through Cat 2 and creating a "race resume". Cat 1 and pro is annual liscense only, he states the only way to earn an annual liscense is by accumulating a resume.

I thought this might be the case...

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
That's correct, a resume with Cat 2 poduim/s is what's needed when requesting an upgrade to Cat 1. Worked for me and I'm not that good.

Good luck,

J

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Just got word from Dan Mcdonald at GES. Apparently I have to "earn" the cat 1,and or, pro liscense, by working through Cat 2 and creating a "race resume". Cat 1 and pro is annual liscense only, he states the only way to earn an annual liscense is by accumulating a resume.

I thought this might be the case...
Wow, that's news to me.

As I said, you will f-ing destroy Cat 2, and I'd put money on your time being good enough for a Cat 1 podium.

--JP

(No offense to Cat 2 dudes; Pegboy's just damn fast)