Quantcast

What causes this? (jump question)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The fail @1:50- What causes that nose dive? The take off looks OK to me. This has been a fear of mine and partially why I'm reserved on some tables and all doubles.

There was a guy at that Redbull event in Whales 2 years ago that was mid air and the front end dove like that. He bailed and rolled, but Idk how he was after.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Riding a skank-ass teeter? As he landed he needed to push way out and back IMO.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
If you look at him, he didn't do jack shit with his upper body (or lower body but I think that is less a problem). Total dead sailor. If he had pushed into the lip and pulled up at the take off, his nose would have stayed up. Instead, he just plowed into the lip, did nothing with upper body, then when his rear end hits the lip, his legs are stiff and he gets bucked leading to forward rotation.

I'm not a remarkably good jumper but I'm comfortable on most reasonable jumps and drops. I've learned that if a move scares me enough that I can't get my head around really jumping it -- ie if I'm just going fast and hitting it scared -- that is the highest risk situation and is one to be avoided.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Granted, I've not ridden many teeters, but preloading? At the apex/pivot maybe, but if you do that, you're not going to ride the teeter down, which seems kind of pointless. On fixed drops, sure.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Granted, I've not ridden many teeters, but preloading? At the apex/pivot maybe, but if you do that, you're not going to ride the teeter down, which seems kind of pointless. On fixed drops, sure.
Not sure if you are commenting on the same thing. Dude JRA a steep lip, no preload, gets bucked hard, lands brain bucket in dirt first.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The short time period that the front wheel leaves the ground and the rear doesn't the rider/bike will have a forward moment applied causing a forward rotation. Going faster reduces this but ultimately a reverse rotation must be initiated prior to the front leaving the ground. This can be done by "preloading" but this is a little deceiving as it has less to do with pre-loading and more to do with that rearward rotation, which is usually initiated by pushing on the bars.

I've never jumped a motorcycle but the same thing can be done by hitting the gas and letting the fork extend and the rear compress or even while in the air by accelerating the the rear wheel which puts a rearward torque on the rest of the bike.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
The short time period that the front wheel leaves the ground and the rear doesn't the rider/bike will have a forward moment applied causing a forward rotation. Going faster reduces this but ultimately a reverse rotation must be initiated prior to the front leaving the ground. This can be done by "preloading" but this is a little deceiving as it has less to do with pre-loading and more to do with that rearward rotation, which is usually initiated by pushing on the bars.

I've never jumped a motorcycle but the same thing can be done by hitting the gas and letting the fork extend and the rear compress or even while in the air by accelerating the the rear wheel which puts a rearward torque on the rest of the bike.
Big jumps are so soo sooo much easier on a mxer throttle can save you from bad take offs..... Brake taps have more effect too.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

I've used the throttling technique while fooling around with my dirt bike back in my teenager years. Carrying it over to MTB wasn't an easy task. Hitting the rear brake while jumping as a way to land nose first -or to match the reception's slope- was much more natural. It's all a matter of how much torque you are able to put down, versus the one of the internal combustion engine/gearbox combo.

We call that move "hacer fuerza" (to preload the bike) down here. On a hardatail is easier to perform, you just stiff up your arms and push down your pedals from your hips, forcing the bike to follow the transition's trajectory even when the front wheel has left it already. It avoids the dreaded kick up on the rear wheel, which I've suffered many times due to my poor jumping technique. This also led me to a temporary paralysis while in the subsequent air time (that "oh shit, I've fucked it up big time!" moment), and as everyone in this forum knows, the outcome is pretty much guaranteed. You'll end up landing poorly at best, sideways, or straight face-first, as in this video.

A few afternoons very well invested in the local BMX track, learning from racers, helped me to catch the right preloading technique, which ultimately boosted my confidence and allowed me to loosen up while flying towards the reception. The best advice I got to avoid stiffening up while on air was to try to perform some trick; a horrible X-up, a lousy tabletop, whatever. This engages your concentration and forces you to steer the bike, instead of going full rigor mortis into the reception.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My days of park riding are likely behind me, but when I was at my “bravest”, I always erred on the side of back heavy.

The ol rear brake tap served me well.

I almost landed on my face in Glacier hitting a sizeable jump on my nomad. Much speed+kicker-type jump=not my skillset.

My arse was saved by a forgiving bike.

Viva enduro.

I guess I wouldn’t have even had to give it a second thought on a DH bike.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
Proficient jumpers would have had their knees (and usually arms, standing tall) straight at the moment the rear tire leaves the lip. Like others said, this guy remained static as his bike climbed up the lip. I'm no scientist, but I always remember Newton's 3rd law when hitting a lippy jump - you will get bucked if you don't provide enough counter-force.

Untitled.png

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I think preloading is the correct technique, but is also on the more advanced side of things for most riders I see on the trails. I also think preloading should be done on small jumps, and knowing how to bunny hop correctly is a huge help. Timing when to preload and release becomes hard on bigger jumps or when hitting the tranny with more speed. I see a lot of weekend warriors hitting stuff, but not putting in the time to practice certain elements. In my case, when I find a jump, corner, drop or section that is challenging or fun, I hit and repeat multiple times. I rarely just ride full runs every ride. Most riders I see will ride the whole trail start to finish, and considering they might only be riding a couple of times a week I can’t see how they will get jumps or drops dialed.

Friday fails is a ritual in my house. Great evidence that men are not that smart, but I see a lot of dudes hitting stuff they are no where near ready for ( yes there are some sick riders bailing which is par for the course).

I have always been at good technical riding (roots and rocks) but didn’t learn to jump when I was a lighty. I ended up learning to jump in my later years, when I built a trail behind my house, but I didn’t know about preloading. So I learnt to hit jumps with speed and I would sink into my bike and effectively stay low. I could still clear 25 ft gaps but I would do anything to avoid dead sailoring (no way of recovering from that shit).

A couple of other items that can cause otb on jumps, rebound too fast (even if it is just case of slowing it down 2 clicks while learning) and riding into the jump versus up the jump. When coming into the jump, and visualizing yourself going up with the trail helps get some weight further back on the bike. These would be my tips for riders who don’t jump a lot and want stay balanced and safe. I still say that if you want to jump, you need to practice jumps. Learn on tables and focus on the take off, it doesn’t matter if you don’t clear it, that will come. Ride the same table(s) repeatedly so you get familiar with the entry speed and tranny, and then just add speed or preload till you get there.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Basically as he leaves the lip the dude's weight is too far forwards...

Probably from looking at Tik Tok on his dorky bar mounted phone

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I think having a skateboarding background helps quite a bit with understanding how to leave a lip. If you've ever practiced ollying off of any kind of lip, even just a driveway curb you figure out if you're late on your ollie your weight will get thrown forward when that back truck comes off the lip.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I think preloading is the correct technique, but is also on the more advanced side of things for most riders I see on the trails. I also think preloading should be done on small jumps, and knowing how to bunny hop correctly is a huge help. Timing when to preload and release becomes hard on bigger jumps or when hitting the tranny with more speed. I see a lot of weekend warriors hitting stuff, but not putting in the time to practice certain elements. In my case, when I find a jump, corner, drop or section that is challenging or fun, I hit and repeat multiple times. I rarely just ride full runs every ride. Most riders I see will ride the whole trail start to finish, and considering they might only be riding a couple of times a week I can’t see how they will get jumps or drops dialed.

Friday fails is a ritual in my house. Great evidence that men are not that smart, but I see a lot of dudes hitting stuff they are no where near ready for ( yes there are some sick riders bailing which is par for the course).

I have always been at good technical riding (roots and rocks) but didn’t learn to jump when I was a lighty. I ended up learning to jump in my later years, when I built a trail behind my house, but I didn’t know about preloading. So I learnt to hit jumps with speed and I would sink into my bike and effectively stay low. I could still clear 25 ft gaps but I would do anything to avoid dead sailoring (no way of recovering from that shit).

A couple of other items that can cause otb on jumps, rebound too fast (even if it is just case of slowing it down 2 clicks while learning) and riding into the jump versus up the jump. When coming into the jump, and visualizing yourself going up with the trail helps get some weight further back on the bike. These would be my tips for riders who don’t jump a lot and want stay balanced and safe. I still say that if you want to jump, you need to practice jumps. Learn on tables and focus on the take off, it doesn’t matter if you don’t clear it, that will come. Ride the same table(s) repeatedly so you get familiar with the entry speed and tranny, and then just add speed or preload till you get there.
i'm guilty of this-don't get enough time to ride and almost never stop to session, unless it's something i'm digging and fine tuning
I think having a skateboarding background helps quite a bit with understanding how to leave a lip. If you've ever practiced ollying off of any kind of lip, even just a driveway curb you figure out if you're late on your ollie your weight will get thrown forward when that back truck comes off the lip.
yup. same here. timing and weight shift is everything.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Even to clear fallen trees and super steep rollers on our fatbikes, you push down on the front wheel first to get the rebound working for you, which puts the front end at less than 1G and gets the bike rolling over whatever it is. If you just rode into it and leaned back, you'd probably loop yourself out like in some of these vids.

Wide bars solves everything.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Fuck Friday Fails. Goddamn I don't wanna see people get hurt.
Not too sure where I stand on this.

On one hand, I don't want to see people getting hurt either and I don't enjoy Friday Fails, but on the other, I think it's important for noobs to see that hitting jumps, drops and high speed gnarly shit is not like going to Disneyland! If you act like a dumbfuck and don't respect the learning curve of the sport, you WILL get hurt.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

On one hand, I don't want to see people getting hurt either and I don't enjoy Friday Fails, but on the other, I think it's important for noobs to see that hitting jumps, drops and high speed gnarly shit is not like going to Disneyland! If you act like a dumbfuck and don't respect the learning curve of the sport, you WILL get hurt.
Yeah true that. But when you're coming back from a few injuries and trying to regain your confidence on features, the last thing I need is a constant reminder of how easy it can go wrong. Plus I'm trying to help out a couple of beginners at the moment and they don't see the difference between the "Friday Fail" size features and the little stuff I'm trying to get them to give a go.

As an aside - some Friday fails are so amazing. Now and then there's one where the rider didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever clearing a jump. Like attempting a massive gap at walking pace or whatever. Mind blowing watching it happen.

Yeah true that. But when you're coming back from a few injuries and trying to regain your confidence on features, the last thing I need is a constant reminder of how easy it can go wrong. Plus I'm trying to help out a couple of beginners at the moment and they don't see the difference between the "Friday Fail" size features and the little stuff I'm trying to get them to give a go.

As an aside - some Friday fails are so amazing. Now and then there's one where the rider didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever clearing a jump. Like attempting a massive gap at walking pace or whatever. Mind blowing watching it happen.
This being why I like to see someone who knows their ass from their elbow hit something before I try it...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
My days of park riding are likely behind me
never say never! prior to kids, i hit whistler pretty much every weekend. that routine took a hiatus when we started breeding (and i went full enduro), but now that the kids are old enough for park laps, their enthusiasm has fueled a new found appreciation for jumpy runs. i've resigned myself to accepting that crabapple scale hits aren't within my current comfort zone, but most of the park is still in play. good fun, chasing kidlets.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Are you talking to me bro?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
never say never! prior to kids, i hit whistler pretty much every weekend. that routine took a hiatus when we started breeding (and i went full enduro), but now that the kids are old enough for park laps, their enthusiasm has fueled a new found appreciation for jumpy runs. i've resigned myself to accepting that crabapple scale hits aren't within my current comfort zone, but most of the park is still in play. good fun, chasing kidlets.
I gave up on crabapple the year they started whipoff worlds.

I’m a few years off my kids being Whistler-competent on bikes. By then I’m sure we’ll all be riding ebikes and putting them on the chairlift at Whistler.

Re: topic, I came within a few inches of a catastrophic nosedive on the Boogie Nights hip last week. Just about nose-cased the exposed logs in the landing ramp.
A5F43CF0-9923-4CA2-9934-BC41D765D149.jpeg

I pretty much duplicated the same mistake this past weekend. I fully compensated to try and keep level, but still wound up front heavy.

I clearly need a new bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why do
I gave up on crabapple the year they started whipoff worlds.

I’m a few years off my kids being Whistler-competent on bikes. By then I’m sure we’ll all be riding ebikes and putting them on the chairlift at Whistler.

Re: topic, I came within a few inches of a catastrophic nosedive on the Boogie Nights hip last week. Just about nose-cased the exposed logs in the landing ramp.
View attachment 141590

I pretty much duplicated the same mistake this past weekend. I fully compensated to try and keep level, but still wound up front heavy.

I clearly need a new bike.

Your Rid Egg might have been ready about now.