nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
ive been using RnR Gold, but was thinking about changing to Finish Line Dry

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Finish Line Cross Country is the only lube I ever use, whatever the conditions. That said, it's wet here the majority of the time... sorry for the useless response :)

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Keep your drive train clean, use Tri-flow 99% of the time.

Use something else if you ride in pure mud or freezing conditions (EG - Finish Line XC lube - mineral, no wax...)

Last edited:

willi

Chimp
Sep 28, 2012
For DH i use only Finish Line Wax Lubricant. It isnt gooey. And the Chain is clean at every conditions

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Progold > everything else. The only problem is I have no clue if you can get it in the US. I love mine.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I rarely ride mud but often deal with dust and sometimes a lot of dust.

Finishline Krytech wax is the cleanest and has enough durability for most DH days. At the end of the day a light hosing and re-application is all it takes to stay sparkling clean and slippery. On long, dusty XC rides it doesn't last well enough and the chain feels dry and rough in the last miles. So: Krytech when you can get away with it, Boeshield or Rock'n'Roll Gold for more endurance but a little more gunk to clean up (you'll want to use some degreaser). Tri-flow works almost as well as those two, is cheaper especially in large bottles, but collects a little more dirt and requires more cleaning (maybe not as good lubrication & longevity also).

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have had decent luck with Finish Line Dry and ProLink ProGold...I think I liked the Finish Line a bit better, though. I tend to end up using Finish Line Wet, though. Things get a bit dirtier, but it lasts a bit better and keeps things quieter.

b.utters

Monkey
Mar 30, 2011
1. Melt ski wax in saucepan/pot
2. Place chain in pot
3. Pull chain out with wire
4. Hang in the open air to cool
5. Curl chain around a bit to break wax
6. Ride any conditions you want and not need to do anything to your chain for 3-6 months

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
2. Place chain in pot
6. Ride any conditions you want and not need to do anything to your chain for 3-6 months
Have been meaning to try the wax method... going to give it a go.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
2. Place chain in pot
Same concept as White Lightning Clean Ride. I never clean my chain. I just add White Lightning before every ride. It lasts about 100 miles on my road bike.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Another vote for Finishline Krytech wax (white lightning is similar). I worked in a shop for about 5 years, and tried litteraly everything we sold (Pedros full line, finishline's full line, etc). While some were better in the wet and some better in the dry, the Krytech was such a good all rounder that's all I run now unless it's raining and I'm racing in the rain/mud. Can't go wrong with it at all. Stays dry to the touch so it won't attract dirt the same way a normal oil does. I use it on every bike I ride now. Road to DH.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
chain lube? what is that?
i just replace the chain every 3 months... its too much of a hassle to be bothered with buying supplies and cleaning and lubing often. one of the perks of using a $20 8sp chain.

at most, i´d lubricate the chain with any industrial lube i have laying around my workplace.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
dumonde tech lite.
I've tried lots of alternatives. Keep coming back and now I'm glad I did.
Super clean, won't eat your chain guide, won't wash off. In really nasty wet stuff, the Dumonde moto lube works well. It's really heavy, but it will stay on all day in the worst conditions.
That RnR stuff is just pure Naphtha with some wax solids. Garbage.