Quantcast

What church did Jesus belong to?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
First United Methodists on the corner First and Elm.

Wait, were you asking about Jesus Mendez or Jesus Mencia?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
Oh nicely said by the N8ster..............

Yes, yes!! It's like how could god have sacrificed christ knowing full well christ is god and can't really die in the first place.

Big whoop that one is.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
N8 said:
Yes, yes!! It's like how could god have sacrificed christ knowing full well christ is god and can't really die in the first place.

Big whoop that one is.

And even better, do it in such a way that everyone will blame the Jews for it!!!

:p

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Westy said:
XtCamZ might be trying to make the point that you don't have to belong to a
"church" to be a Christian.
:confused:
Like "offical" church membership yeah I agree - living out a life of faith as a "lone wolf" not intimately connected in a real everyday "bear each other's burdens" kind of way with other followers of Jesus then I disagree.

One thing to keep in mind the word "church" is the word ecclesia in the Greek and means assembly. Caesar had an ecclesia in every Roman town. The whole use of the word "church" has alot of baggage attached to it that was put on there by people with alot of un-Christianlike agendas, so it's important to understand the orgin of that whole term.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Andyman_1970 said:
Like "offical" church membership yeah I agree - living out a life of faith as a "lone wolf" not intimately connected in a real everyday "bear each other's burdens" kind of way with other followers of Jesus then I disagree.

One thing to keep in mind the word "church" is the word ecclesia in the Greek and means assembly. Caesar had an ecclesia in every Roman town. The whole use of the word "church" has alot of baggage attached to it that was put on there by people with alot of un-Christianlike agendas, so it's important to understand the orgin of that whole term.

So what about that nutty John the Baptist d00d? Didn't he live in a cave or something?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
N8 said:
So what about that nutty John the Baptist d00d? Didn't he live in a cave or something?
Both the Scriptures and Josephus tell us ol Johnny boy had disciples, so no he didn't live alone in a cave like some bizzare hermit.......LOL

XtCamZ

Chimp
Nov 19, 2003
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Westy was getting at it. I'm tired of the really religious church goers looking down on me or treating me differently just because I don't go to church, nor have I been in a church nowadays that I like.

I was thinking about this last night, and it dawned on me that even Jesus was not a member of any church, so now when anybody gives me any crap about not going to church, that's what I'm going to ask them..."What church did Jesus go to?"

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
XtCamZ said:
Westy was getting at it. I'm tired of the really religious church goers looking down on me or treating me differently just because I don't go to church, nor have I been in a church nowadays that I like.

I was thinking about this last night, and it dawned on me that even Jesus was not a member of any church, so now when anybody gives me any crap about not going to church, that's what I'm going to ask them..."What church did Jesus go to?"
But He did share His life deeply with others, He didn't just try to make a go of it on His own.

As for your disatisfaction with typical churches these days (esspecially in Arkansas) I feel your pain brotha. If it weren't for being seriously invovled in the college/twentysomething ministry (I lead it) - I would probably find a more "progressive" church than the very right leaning fundamentalist Southern Baptist church I currently attend.

There are some really cool, progressive churches out there, and I bet in F'ville with the university there might be something more your "taste".

Anyway....................

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Andyman_1970 said:
But If it weren't for being seriously invovled in the college/twentysomething ministry (I lead it)
Is this a good way to meet chicks?

My neighbors are "missionaries". They missionize students at the local university. Yesterday they led a big paintball outing. I'm still scratching my head. I wonder if they had ye holy paintball handgrenade.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Westy said:
Is this a good way to meet chicks?
For me, no……………my wife might have a problem with that……….LOL

However, there are several cuties that attend.

Westy said:
My neighbors are "missionaries". They missionize students at the local university. Yesterday they led a big paintball outing. I'm still scratching my head. I wonder if they had ye holy paintball handgrenade.
Oh you mean the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch………….LOL I gots to gets me one of them.

The whole “missionary” thing I don’t personally care for as a title, it gives the impression you’re doing stuff, for students in this case, with an agenda. If you’re hanging out with students or doing stuff for them with an agenda, that’s not loving them unconditionally, something I try very hard to emphasize and live out with our leaders and students in our ministry.

Last night when I taught we had one of the girls bring a friend who is an atheist, it was so cool.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Andyman_1970 said:
For me, no……………my wife might have a problem with that……….LOL

However, there are several cuties that attend.

Oh you mean the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch………….LOL I gots to gets me one of them.

The whole “missionary” thing I don’t personally care for as a title, it gives the impression you’re doing stuff, for students in this case, with an agenda. If you’re hanging out with students or doing stuff for them with an agenda, that’s not loving them unconditionally, something I try very hard to emphasize and live out with our leaders and students in our ministry.

Last night when I taught we had one of the girls bring a friend who is an atheist, it was so cool.
I'm not exactly sure what my neighbors do. When I met them they told me about the missionary thing and I expected to get the hard sell. Haven't gotten it, they have actually been really cool neighbors. These aren't the folks who told me I'm going to hell.

I think you need to post some pics of the hotties in your group so we can all love them unconditionally. :oink: J/K

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Westy said:
I'm not exactly sure what my neighbors do. When I met them they told me about the missionary thing and I expected to get the hard sell. Haven't gotten it, they have actually been really cool neighbors. These aren't the folks who told me I'm going to hell.
That's refreshing to hear that...................

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:

I think you need to post some pics of the hotties in your group so we can all love them unconditionally. :oink: J/K

So did the missionarys do it to you missionary?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Andyman_1970 said:
If you’re hanging out with students or doing stuff for them with an agenda, that’s not loving them unconditionally, something I try very hard to emphasize and live out with our leaders and students in our ministry.

I'm not a religious man Andy as I'm sure you've guessed but I do appreciate where you are coming from. You seem to be trying to put the young people you come into contact with on the right track. If that means following a religious path then that's good but you don't seem to be too worried if they're not as long as you can see they are travelling a good track. Good on ya mate. :thumb:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
valve bouncer said:
I'm not a religious man Andy as I'm sure you've guessed but I do appreciate where you are coming from. You seem to be trying to put the young people you come into contact with on the right track. If that means following a religious path then that's good but you don't seem to be too worried if they're not as long as you can see they are travelling a good track. Good on ya mate. :thumb:
Thanks, seriously. You guys don’t know how often I post on a different (Christian) forum, or sit through a sermon and get so discouraged or start to think I’ve gone and lost the plot. So when you guys give me props, stuff like that is a huge encouragement to me…………..anyway………..

As much as I’d love every student to become a fully devoted follower of Jesus, I’m realistic and know not all will choose that path. My job is not to give the hard sell then say to them either “pray a prayer and get on board with us or there’s the door” – my job is to love them unconditionally, provide a safe environment for them to voice their questions and doubts (*gasp* a Christian might have doubts), and invite them to journey with us.

That’s why I call the Thursday night gig I do “The Journey” – the dominate metaphor for the life of faith in the Scriptures is that of a journey. So I emphasize with the students that this whole deal is a journey, and regardless of where they are at in that journey they are invited to come with us and see where this deal goes.

Anywho……….

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Andyman_1970 said:
Thanks, seriously. You guys don’t know how often I post on a different (Christian) forum, or sit through a sermon and get so discouraged or start to think I’ve gone and lost the plot. So when you guys give me props, stuff like that is a huge encouragement to me…………..anyway………..

When accused of Christian bashing here can we say in our defense that we give you strength to follow the rightous path;)

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
You guys also help me "test" out new stuff I discover, if I'm way off I know that you guys have unbelieveably finely tuned "crap detectors", so I know if it passes the PD forum test I'm good to go.............LOL

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yeah Andy that's the right way to go I reckon, believe or not I'm still gonna be with you as long as you try to do the right thing. That's proper religion, that's a proper way to live your life regardless of religion. Don't give up mate, I know you won't. :)

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
The crazy thing is, I've been posting on christianforums.com for almost the same amount of time as I've been on the Monkey. My post count is higher over there, but I've noticed, esspecially since I've "grown" out of my former fundy self that there is more of a sense of familyness here on the PD forum, in particular, than I have over on a forum that is "suppose" to encourage such an atmosphere. I guess over there we spend so much time proving what our position is, we loose site of growing as an online community of Christians.

Anyway.................interesting observation none the less.