Quantcast

What clipless shoes do you use for DH

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm riding some older specialized bg experts, they have the greatest insole in the world. they've also been super durable, i'll probably end up getting another pair of specializeds next time, or at least the specialized insoles.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Spec does make some awesome insoles, but I can't ride their shoes anymore cause they cut off the circulation to my toes and they go numb during long rides.
Agreed, there BG stuff is awesome, but not for everyone. Currently I am running some shimano sh 80's they feel great they fit my feet properly and so far have lasted a long time. Something else you can get with teh Specialized BG, is the baked insole, litterally put the shoe and insole in a warming bin<Custom Oven> and heat them to a specific tempurature them quickly put them on and walk around, fits the insole to your feel perfectly!!!

With all that said, best bet is to go try some on, and see what fits and feels best.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Previously Spec's but've outgrown them so now intense. Spec's were great and indestrutible, intense are a bit to soft for me but after a little mod they are great ;)

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Specialized Sawpits... I absolutely love the added ankle protection they have.

What&#8217;s in a name? Sometimes a lot. The namesake of this shoe is a famous NorCal trail that inspired the Sawpit&#8217;s full-function freeride design. In fact, there may be no condition too severe for this beast of a shoe. It&#8217;s a three-quarter-height design with fully lugged SPD-compatible soles, which are stiff for efficient pedaling while flexible enough for walking, too. Plus, the Body Geometry insoles provide awesome cycling efficiency. The Sawpits even sport carbon ankle plates for unsurpassed protection when the conditions get extreme.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Hematoma's are the best IMO.
Will never wear them again though.....just too damn ugly.
The white/black ones look like band shoes.
Wish they would make them half decent looking......

for the moment going with spec xc shoes.....might get the cheaper SL 120 version though.....

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Anyone tried the Addidas Hematomas?

My husband wants a new pair with velcro straps since his 661s eyelets for the laces are pulling out after one season.

I've got Spec. Sawpits and love them but they aren't made anymore.

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
Anyone tried the Addidas Hematomas?

My husband wants a new pair with velcro straps since his 661s eyelets for the laces are pulling out after one season.

I've got Spec. Sawpits and love them but they aren't made anymore.
Its all about the addidas, very protective for downhill, plus a great feel on the pedals.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Another vote for Shimano DX shoes. Comfy as hell and protect very well. The inside of the ankle is higher on the shoe to protect. Plus if you run Shimano pedals there is absolutely no additional cutting of the sole, even with the DX's.

:busted:and u said u werent gonna race again
I know, but i miss it. I didn't want to race last year because I couldn't mentally get over my crash and then the 40 stitches in my leg and being on crutches didn't help. Mentally I wasn't ready for it, because i kept thinking what if it had cut me 4 inches higher and sliced the artery in my leg? You know for a fact how much it slowed me down last year. This year is all good though. F$%k it, I'm pinning it this year.

Anybody else ever have this happen to them after a real bad wreck with consequences???

Seems I just derailed my own thread!!! back on topic, those sawpits look good, but I can't find them anywhere. I may go back to shimanos. I've tried the 661's, loved my dually's, but they seem to only last 1/4 a season.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
dont you run flats?
Rumor has it he's going to be rocking a skinsuit this season as well. This is not confirmed...just a rumor.

I haven't tried clipless in a DH setting yet, but am going to give it a try the next time I'm on a big hill. Good topic, as I will likely need a decent pair of shoes if I decide I like it. I'll always rock the flats for freeride, though.