Quantcast

What comes around goes around?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
About a month ago i rode with this group and this guy was having chain issues. Caused the group to stop, some people were getting impatient. i ride like i have all the time in the world, so personally i didn't care. But i did care when this other trail veteran recommended that i was one of those prepared ****ers that carry alot of crap. "Hey i bet Tim carries a quick link!"

Dammit if he ain't right.....

Well at any rate i figure i won't see that link again. Me i don't mind too much giving stuff out to save a ride, especially if you're a hot chick. But i'm not made of money like most of these Microsoft working moneybags so just because i'm prepared doesn't mean i should be a bank for miscellaneous bikey parts.

Well wouldn't you know i ran into the guy at a ride the other day. And he returned to me a brand new quick link. cool! Karma is in direct bikey effect.

Now if that chick i ran into on Tiger Mt. a week ago gives me back that bolt for her clipless pedal so i can get her phone #.....

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Thats cool. I give out tubes all the time, and never need any, but someday its gunna pay off...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I usually end up getting screwed when I help people out.

-Took a co-worker with infected tooth to the ER and had a rock kicked up on the road smash my windshield.

-Bought a bottle of water for a Japanese dude I was working with last week and he spilled it on me.

-Gave a guy a chain tool during a race once. lost a bunch of spots finding the tool, he passed me right at the end of the race and left without ever returning my tool.

-Tore a muscle in my back helping a friends parents move.

The list goes on and on and I keep helping people out like a dumbass.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Westy said:

-Took a co-worker with infected tooth to the ER and had a rock kicked up on the road smash my windshield.

-Bought a bottle of water for a Japanese dude I was working with last week and he spilled it on me.

-Gave a guy a chain tool during a race once. lost a bunch of spots finding the tool, he passed me right at the end of the race and left without ever returning my tool.

You are just preparing yourself when you need a gigantic load of karma.

J

JRB

I have had most people return the parts to me.

Funny you say this though. We came out on Saturday and there were two kids, like 18, at the trail working on a flat. They asked if they could buy a tube. I said sure, let me go to the truck and get it out. It was like 30 feet away. I don't know if it was laziness that kept them from coming over, but I sure as hell wasn't walking back over to make their unprepared lived easier. They ended up just riding with a leaking tire. Not sure why they wouldn't just come get it, but I didn't feel obligated to take it to them and help them be prepared at the same time.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
"Every good deed never goes unpunished"

My friends rarely lend out tubes or tools to strangers. I am not sure would I get a tube.

But there is something to be said about being prepared, and there is no better lesson than being unprepared and being forced to deal with it yourself.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Westy said:

You're the reason the world still spins on it's axis pal, don't worry important people like you always get the short end of the stick, if you weren't so damn nice you'd disrupt the natural order of life as we know it.;)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Skookum said:
You're the reason the world still spins on it's axis pal, don't worry important people like you always get the short end of the stick, if you weren't so damn nice you'd disrupt the natural order of life as we know it.;)
There is an alternative.... maybe Westy used to be a gigantic jackass and karma is still playin' catch up with him.

J

JRB

DRB said:
There is an alternative.... maybe Westy used to be a gigantic jackass and karma is still playin' catch up with him.
Used to be??? :confused:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Westy said:
...The list goes on and on and I keep helping people out like a dumbass.
Your rewards will be great in the kingdom of heaven... or you will be better tasting wormy food, whichever theory you believe...:)

splat

Nam I am
Last time I gave out a tube, I hadn't had a flat in weeks , had a flat with in half an hour :( , then procedded to have flats on the next 2 rides. :(

Doesn't stop me I still will give a tube to some one who needs one. even when they offer to pay , I just tell them to pay it forward , IE , when they come upon a guy with a flat on the trail to give him a tube. I really hope they do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
Used to be??? :confused:

I am only a jerk to you, and I am not really being a jerk. I am doing you a favor providing negative reinforcement to help you stop sucking. Someday you will thank me.

J

JRB

Westy said:
I am only a jerk to you, and I am not really being a jerk. I am doing you a favor providing negative reinforcement to help you stop sucking. Someday you will thank me.
Nice. :thumb:

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I've thankfully only had to borrow a tube once. My wife and I (back when we had time for both of us to ride) got a flat on a group ride one of the local shops sponsored. The manager of the shop that was on the ride gave us a tube. The next day I went in, bought a tube and gave it to him........I know that kind of sounds stupid but I felt like I needed to repay that good deed.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
BurlyShirley said:
Thats cool. I give out tubes all the time, and never need any, but someday its gunna pay off...
yeah last Weds. we were riding in a newer section of trail in the park and i was cruising through a section that had a lot of Hawthorne trees, and ended up gettin a flat. I pulled out one of my new tubes and started changing it. As we waited, a few people grabbed energy bars etc. and a friend who I could tell was hurting because of the pace needed a pick me up, so I went into my pack and tossed him a Vanilla Bean GU. finished up with the tube change and rode on.

on Saturday, I flatted again off of a stairdrop. and forgot to restock my tubes. the guy I gave the GU to, tossed me a new tube! it all comes back to you!:thumb: not always directly from the same person, but sometimes it does.

Karma is good! good Karma is better!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
my husband and i were on a night ride with a bunch of people. i had a tube. he didn't. when he flatted we were on different parts of the trail and he borrowed a tube from another guy on the night ride. (borrowing a tube is a bit easiery in the dark then patching a tube)
we'll call the lender of the tube fernando. well, we don't see fernando again, so we can't really give him back his tube.
come to find out... fernando was super mad about giving his tube to someone and never getting it back.
i think it's ridiculous to get worked up over something like a tube.
it's a tube. it's like that penny tray at 7-11 (just more expensive). sometimes you need one. sometimes you need to lend one out...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:
it's like that penny tray at 7-11 (just more expensive). sometimes you need one. sometimes you need to lend one out...
My thoughts exactly.

I did give so many tubes to one friend in particular (like EVERY ride) that I made him give me his saddle before I'd give him another one. He rode the rest of the way seatless but then he seemed to always have tubes after that.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
amydalayna said:
my husband and i were on a night ride with a bunch of people. i had a tube. he didn't. when he flatted we were on different parts of the trail and he borrowed a tube from another guy on the night ride. (borrowing a tube is a bit easiery in the dark then patching a tube)
we'll call the lender of the tube fernando. well, we don't see fernando again, so we can't really give him back his tube.
come to find out... fernando was super mad about giving his tube to someone and never getting it back.
it's a tube. it's like that penny tray at 7-11 (just more expensive). sometimes you need one. sometimes you need to lend one out...
I am with you! I get tubes at the shop discount rate, and usually have them! so it's usually better to just throw a tube in, and keep the ride going! I hate cooling down while patching a tube! its just faster to throw a new one in, and patch em at home when watching Rockford files re-runs:rolleyes:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Just out of curiosity-

How much are you guys paying for tubes?

I'm always down to lend a tube to someone, and for some reason I hardly ever flat (could be because I don't have any rock gardens to play on around here), so I'm usually the tube giver outter. People later come to me to give me a tube back all apologetic that it took them so long to do it (more than 1 or 2 days). It makes me wonder if I'm buying some cheap ass tubes or something cause it doesnt seem to phase me as much. I'm just getting like a 10 pack at Performance, is that a bad thing?

It could just be that I'm just so happy to be out on my bike that I don't mind giving stuff out or something?

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
johnbryanpeters said:
Helping folks is always good.
I've even considered doing a couple of races around here, packing several extra tubes and such with the express intent of helping (like stopping and helping) anyone I come across whose bike is broke.

Kind of a subersive way of doing the whole "hands and feet" thing mountain bike style.........

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
kidwoo said:
My thoughts exactly.

I did give so many tubes to one friend in particular (like EVERY ride) that I made him give me his saddle before I'd give him another one. He rode the rest of the way seatless but then he seemed to always have tubes after that.

My ass hurt after that ride.....

You dick....

J

JRB

chicodude said:
My ass hurt after that ride.....

You dick....
Uhm - did woo tear you up??? :help:

Tubes are never more than $5. It's worth $5 for me to not see someone have a ruined ride.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I'm always giving out tubes.... You people know who you are.

But then again, I've borrowed gloves, lube, tubes, gels, and a bunch of stuff I can't even think of. I'd rather have a good ride with a bud than gripe about how he took my tube. (PS, T- you owe me a tube. jk)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I always give stuff out, rarely get stuff back, and don't care. Like Splat said, it's the "pay it forward" method.

Having said that I think I am pretty sure I owe Amy D. or Mr. Amy D a tube from last fall!! :)

But here's a funny anecdote from last weekend. I was on a ride and came on a group of three people fixing a flat. I stopped and asked if they needed anything.

The response: "It's a slow leak, the sealant isn't working."

Me: "Oh, it's tubeless?"

"No"

"Oh...do you need a tube or a patch?"

"No, there's no tube."

"Um, you just said it's not tubeless..."

"It's not tubeless."

"Ok, what is this Abbot and Costello? I'm just trying to help ya here dude. Do you need a tube?"

"There is no tube. It's not tubeless. It's converted."

"Um, okayyy...have a great day." :rolleyes:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I will always try to help somone in need out, be it on a bike, on the freeway, or in the grocery store. But some people are just asshats and deserve no help.

An anecdote from my last time out on the DH bike. picture a guy on a vp-free sitting on the side of the trail with a flat.
"hey you need any help"
"you got a tube"
"sure" I take tube out and hand it to him
"what the hell is ultra cycle?"
"it's a tube"
"don't you have any Intense DH tubes"
"nope sorry that's all I got"
"thanks for nothing" rider hands tube back
"have a pleasant hike back to the trailhead"

But despite Westy's problems I do think karma comes in handy. Anytime I an caught unprepared, someone comes by and offers to help rather quickly.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
OGRipper said:
Having said that I think I am pretty sure I owe Amy D. or Mr. Amy D a tube from last fall!! :)
we'll just call it even because i'm sure there are people i owe a tube or 3 too.
i forgot you flatted on that ride. but then i remembered it was 1/2 way up the climb. i thought you were just faking because you wanted to rest...

i remember the first time i met kidwoo he offered me his spare powerlink because i lost my at n* and spent like a half an hour searching for it in the dust. you know someone's a good guy when they offer you their spare powerlink.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amydalayna said:
That was a random name you chose for the anatagonist of this story.

I am glad you left me out of this story. If "F" ever found out my part, our friendship would be over.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
oly said:
I'll remember that one when you've flatted 10 miles past BFE and realized you forgotten your extra tube.... :)
No Shore for me pal, i forgot i have a stupid First Aid class on Saturday at 8:30...:wonky2:

Change date to Sunday????:help:

Can't ride up there without a guy with a camera for proof....