Quantcast

What company makes a good espresso/latte maker?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
We have one from Krups that is quite nice for what it is.

There are some really bitchin digital models that will grind enough for one cup, fill the basket, make the espresso, and then flush the system for you. Forget the manufacturer though.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I remember reading an article that said the expensive Italian models are the best because they are able to create the appropriate water pressure to extract the best flavor from the coffee.

It said that almost none of the Amercian makers can do this.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
I've got the Capresso F9. It's pretty good for a "SuperAutomatic". Requires a bit more human intervention for keeping the tamper clean than I expected but it makes a damn fine cup of coffee. I recommend not paying retail if you can help it.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
We have a Krups machine that makes regular and expresso, a duo I think it's called. I'm no expert but it seems to make good coffee most of the time. After a few months it gets hard water deposits and it doesn't cook right and starts tasting really bitter. When that happens I run a batch of vinegar water though it and it tastes fine again.

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Have to spend $500 to get a decent one right? I don't get coffee. I drink it in the morning, ICE. The caffine does nothing to me. Starbucks coffee tastes like dirt water. I don't understand it. I think that all the coffee junkies are people that use to smoke, right?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Knuckleslammer said:
Have to spend $500 to get a decent one right? I don't get coffee. I drink it in the morning, ICE. The caffine does nothing to me. Starbucks coffee tastes like dirt water. I don't understand it. I think that all the coffee junkies are people that use to smoke, right?
Never had a good espresso, have ya? :drool:

Edit: For the record - Starschmucks *is* dirt water. Blech.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
it is weird how Sbux is pretty bad coffee. The only one I've had that I'd buy again is their Black Apron Kona. The "Yukon Blend" is good on those cold desert mornings before a ride first thing outta the tent.
It's been a great stock though.

The F9 makes great coffee. Hard to tell a difference between the shots it pulls and the "caffee solo" I had in Spain. A non-coffee drinking friend has even been hooked on the coffee from it. He only drinks coffee at our house.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stinkyboy said:
The expensive ones look cool, but how do they push steam through beans better than this?:

I bought one of those a few years ago at WalMart and it never made a good cup of anything.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
N8 said:
I bought one of those a few years ago at WalMart and it never made a good cup of anything.
I believe proper espresso has to be brewed at a certain pressure & the little plastic toy makers cant achieve this type of pressure. I think to get a good crema you are gonna have to step it up a bit.
link here.

I like the way it looks.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
Now now. We all know that Spanish coffee is not the appropriate yardstick by which to measure the good stuff. ;)
Well, I'm new to coffee abroad so that and Norway is all I can compare it to. Geir had me bring as much Sumatra as I could squeeze in my luggage if that tells you about the coffee situation in Norway. If you like just shots of espresso, Spain isn't too bad. They've got the fancy Dr. Seuss lookin' machines too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Qman said:
<snip> If you like just shots of espresso, Spain isn't too bad. They've got the fancy Dr. Seuss lookin' machines too.
You are correct, Sir. I would say that Spain was runner up in the espresso department, followed closely by France. Italy, however, is head and shoulders above the others. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
SkaredShtles said:
You are correct, Sir. I would say that Spain was runner up in the espresso department, followed closely by France. Italy, however, is head and shoulders above the others. :thumb:
Is it wrong that I want to go to Italy JUST to drink espresso?