Quantcast

What cranks?

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
I'm rebuildng an XC hardtail and I'm going to be buying new drivetrain parts next. I need a new crankset. What should I get? I'm on a budget and need to keep the cost of the crankset including BB under 220.00 or so. Lighter is better. What should I get?

Potential options...

Shimano XT
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3405
FSA Afterburner ISIS (and FSA Platinum BB?)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2185
Race Face Deus
https://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=787

anything else I should consider?

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
BIRDMAN111 said:
get the shimano lx or xt two peice cranks. they are freaking amazing. they are hollow. i have the lx and love it. i know people with the xt cranks and they are really good.
CRC has the XT on sale for 140.00 so I might have to get them.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
XTs...stiffest, really light, etc...No problems at all.

I would say LX, but the alloy axle that they use has been prone to problems.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Avoid ISIS at all costs. The bearings in those bb's are smaller due to the large axle and confining space in the shell. You'll probably blow through bb's at a alarming rate. XT ot LX are the best bet out there. Very easy to install just make sure you don't over crank the preload. It does not need to be more than slightly snug, barely finger tight. The Race Face stuff is a lot more fiddly to install and a few of my friends have gone through bearings and cranks due to the finiky set up which relies upon spacers for proper preload.

And I think XT and LX are the same crank with a different finish and different rings and c-ring bolts. I think you get a steel granny ring and full steel c-ring bolts with LX, whereas XT has all aluminum rings and the c-ring BOLT is aluminum with a steel NUT. Used to be that way anyway.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I suggest the Deus. Stiff as hell, light, and the x-types are very solid feeling. The sleeve over the crank bolt makes them for me. They take a hell of a lot of abuse!

auntesther

Monkey
Oct 15, 2001
Boston, MA
mud'n'sweat said:
I suggest the Deus. Stiff as hell, light, and the x-types are very solid feeling. The sleeve over the crank bolt makes them for me. They take a hell of a lot of abuse!
every pair of Deus I have ridden are so flexy you can see it deflecting ALOT.
I have a pair of the FSA Carbon pro cranks with a Ti ISIS BB and over 2 years of use and still going strong. For ISIS I agree its not the way to go on a bike that sees alot of punishment, but for XC use they are fine IMO. The FSA carbon cranks are awesome...super stiff and light

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
oldfart said:
And I think XT and LX are the same crank
Nope. XTs use a cromo axle, LX uses an alloy one which has been prone to breaking. But the chainring stuff is right.

If LX didn't have the alloy axle, I'd suggest them.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I have heard this before. I seriously doubt that LX uses an aluminum alloy axle. As far as I am aware they are all steel alloy. It might be a different steel alloy that XT but steel none the less.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
BIRDMAN111 said:
this is for xc your not taking a big enought hit to worry about your crank braking.
With the axle though its all about fatigue. Just think how many hundreds of thousands of cyckes that aluminum axle will go through durring a season. I can seewhy an aluminum axle is a bad idea.