What cross tires are you running?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
tufo tubular clinchers 30c
I run 38 psi ft and RR in the dry and 32 ft 36rr in the wet

tufo diamond tread 28c tubulars
30 psi ft and rear. I use these mostly on dry hardpack courses, or as a front tire for wet grass. Sometimes useful if the mud is really sticky.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Thanks for the response. I am currently running Maxxis Mimos but I am always looking for whats hot and what's not.

toughguymagee

Pretty Boi
Jun 1, 2002
crackhouse down the street
I use Larson Mimo's in wet and dry. In the dry I use the normal tire direction with the ramped knobs but if the course is really sloppy, then I turn the tires around so they dig in hard. I like to run a hard PSI...about 55-60.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
tufo 34mm 60 tpi sewups in the soup and sand. pressure = cadillac.

tufo 28mm 120 tpi sewups on the hard stuff. pressure = ouch.

re: pressure. i have no idea what the actual numbers are. i just go by feel. the nice thing about the tufos are that they are nearly impossible to flat. i usually replace them when i wear the tread out.

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct
michelin cyclocross mud2's. they're brand new, so I can't really say anything about the wear, but they grip like velcro. I haven't raced on 'em yet, i'll let you know what happens after this weekend.

ahb.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Michelin Mud 2 front
Panaracer Crossblaster rear

I used to run crossblasters on both ends but one wore out and I had a spare Michelin lying around. I usually run higher pressures but change depending on where I am riding (I don't race). Around 60 psi for winter road riding. Probably about 50-55 for mixed trails/road and maybe 40 for mud and wet. Usually I'll put about 5 psi more in the rear to prevent flats as it has a thinner sidewall and less volume.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Currently riding with Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1 Kevlar @ 45 PSI in FR / 40 PSI in RR

For extreme mud conditions, I used to ride Spec Enduro FR 2.0 FR @ 42 PSI / Alligator 2.0 RR @ 38 PSI. This combo was dropped last summer when i discovered the FireXC.

On dry hardpack over long distance, i also have a pair of Conti Explorer Pro 1.9 Kevlar @ 48 PSI. Damn fast roller for a small knob tire (barely higher than a semi-slick).

Michelin are nice but they melt just by looking at them.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
HypNoTic said:
Currently riding with Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1 Kevlar @ 45 PSI in FR / 40 PSI in RR

For extreme mud conditions, I used to ride Spec Enduro FR 2.0 FR @ 42 PSI / Alligator 2.0 RR @ 38 PSI. This combo was dropped last summer when i discovered the FireXC.

On dry hardpack over long distance, i also have a pair of Conti Explorer Pro 1.9 Kevlar @ 48 PSI. Damn fast roller for a small knob tire (barely higher than a semi-slick).

Michelin are nice but they melt just by looking at them.

for cyclocross/???

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Hum... NO ?!

My bad. With a topic title of "What cross tires are you running?", i tough you were talking of cross-country tires. Usually, i see cyclocross referenced as CX or simply Cyclo, not Cross.

I suddenly feel stupid.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
HypNoTic said:
Hum... NO ?!

My bad. With a topic title of "What cross tires are you running?", i tough you were talking of cross-country tires. Usually, i see cyclocross referenced as CX or simply Cyclo, not Cross.

I suddenly feel stupid.
"cyclo"? new one on me.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
New Maxxis cross tire named the locust.

Size 35c
Weight 438g
Designed for Dry courses

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct
I raced this weekend on the mud2's. The course was a lot of very wet grass, a couple steep ups and one sloppy section, in addition to some pavement. I'm convinced that these tires gave me the win, as two guys crashed out on the last lap in a corner that I had been railing all day. They have massive grip. I'm running them about 40lbs, more or less (i'm 135#) which is probably a little on the high side, but i'm paranoid about flats.

ahb.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
spoke80 said:
New Maxxis cross tire named the locust.

Size 35c
Weight 438g
Designed for Dry courses
i was riding the prototypes of those last year. they roll extremely well through a lot of conditions. i raced them in the mud and they held up decently well. they would start to back up but in the mud we have down here (it's clay really) not many tires aren't going to pack up so no biggy. definitely worth checking these tires out

UPDATE

I changed over to WTB Mutanos in a 2.2 size. They grip like a mad man and handle like my ride is on rails. They have the Kevlar lining in them and compared to my last tires (michelin) they weigh a bit less. I run even 40 in the front and rear, and I ride fairly aggressive cross country.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
How about continental verticals? I was looking at a pair of those for beginner off-road dirt trail riding, currently I only have semi-slicks which dont grip at all...

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct
If you guys would read through the thread, this is about cyclocross tires. if you want to talk about mtb tires, do it in an mtb thread. geez....

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
My bad, sorry.

Not quite up to speed with the different abbreviations and terms. I thought cross was cross-country type stuff? That's what I'm wanting to do, ride along dirt tracks in forest parks and stuff, down the occasional hill but nothing severe...

NCBikingJim

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
I'm running Tufo Tubulars on my Mavic Ksyrium SL's for my race wheels and a set of Maxxis on my pit wheels.

As for pressure, the best thing is to pre-ride the course and let out air until you feel that you are just above bottoming the tire out. Of course if there are not many bumps and divets on the course (you must be riding an easy CX course) then you'll want to run higher pressure.