Quantcast

What DH Grips should I use? Goggles?

Nash

Chimp
Jul 14, 2008
Los Gatos
I have ridden at North Star a handfull of times. The only thig that I cant figure out is why my hands go numb after about 6 hrs. of riding. I have a pair of ODI Oury lock on grips on my bike and the stock Specilaized DH bars and every day my hands are dead? I have fairly large hands but Im not sure what grip to get?
Any suggestions?

Also Anyone have any oppinion on good Goggles?

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Sunline Half-waffle lock ons..... Like mine. Though probably won't be any different after 6 hours....

JayCee

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
I have had some great luck with Spy's for Goggles (Alloy's and Magnetos).

For grips, I really think that you can't do much. 6 hours of DH will wear pretty much anyone out grip wise. I know that it would do it for me.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I have had some great luck with Spy's for Goggles (Alloy's and Magnetos).

For grips, I really think that you can't do much. 6 hours of DH will wear pretty much anyone out grip wise. I know that it would do it for me.
DEFO agree with the Spy Magnetos, they are such a great goggle...

Grips wise i use sunline. cheap and work very well!

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
how much do grips cost?

maybe $20?

how bout go to your lbs, grab hold of a few different bikes on the floor, see what you think might feel good, buy those grips, ride them

worst case is that you will have a couple sets that you dont like

best case is that you have made your own decision (since you ride for yourself..not to please/impress anyone else, right?) and as an added bonus you have extra grips in the future.

for goggles...take your helmet to your favorite lbs again (or you can save a trip and do the grips/goggles in the same trip)

try every set of goggles on...with your helmet. see what fits best, fits worse, etc. make a decision.

if they fog, slip, twist, etc while riding, try something else.

yay for making your own decisions!!!

Last edited:

mushik

Chimp
May 9, 2007
i'm running white thin Sunlines. they're OK and come with the alu end caps.

goggles: i ride with Oakley crowbars now after fogging badly some ufos and spy targa...

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Im really liking my Smith goggles with sensor glass in them. Perfect for going in and out of the forest. I think they are the intake sweat x.

Grips are 100% personal preference but I actually really like the grips you have. Like others said 6 hrs of riding will tire your hands. I squeeze a tennis ball during the week , and try to pump blood into my hand when i get a break on the trail or lift seems to help alot.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I didnt read every post so if I am repeating forgive me. Grips, I like ODI rogues, little thicker for my big hands, as far as goggles, whatever feels good with your helmet.

With the hands though, I would make sure you have teh levers in a good position, might also want to bring the lever reach in closer to the bar, that should help

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I have used Oury lock-ons for a while and recently switched to Rogues. Both are a little thicker and softer than the Ruffians, but I have noticed that the Rogues are a little tackier which lets me hold the bars with less effort. Still, to beat the dead horse...six hours is six hours. Maybe take a break every so often?

Goggles are harder to choose. As mentioned earlier, bring your helmet in to the shop and see if they'll let you try some out. I have been using Utopia Slayer w/ clear lens and can't complain. At worse, they share the name of one of the greatest bands ever!

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
I recommend goggles with openings in front of them like SPY Magnetos or Oakley A-frame, it stops fogging very effectively when its warm. Choose the ones that fit your face/helmet and looks good.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Thicker grips relax big hands...at least in my case....But what has helped me the most is doing 4 finger push-ups (leaving your brake finger out), plus some forearm exercises.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Thicker grips relax big hands...at least in my case....But what has helped me the most is doing 4 finger push-ups (leaving your brake finger out), plus some forearm exercises.
I've had better luck with going with smaller grips. I don't have big hands (large glove) but I always had problems with knuckle soreness with bigger grips. Im running the Lizard Skins Peaty's now, and I haven't had a single problem.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
Goggles are harder to choose. As mentioned earlier, bring your helmet in to the shop and see if they'll let you try some out. I have been using Utopia Slayer w/ clear lens and can't complain. At worse, they share the name of one of the greatest bands ever!
I used to use the utopia slayers and i found that the quality of the lenses and of the frames was absolute ****. The lenses would be scratched with anything. So i would highly recommend never buying them.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
I've had better luck with going with smaller grips. I don't have big hands (large glove) but I always had problems with knuckle soreness with bigger grips. Im running the Lizard Skins Peaty's now, and I haven't had a single problem.
Yeah, maybe it's not a thing about bigger grips in general but just the right size grip. This is kind of a market hole imo...we need more grip sizes!...maybe fancy foxrox kid with his cnc and stuff could start producing some instead of handguards :biggrin: