Quantcast

what did he know & when did he know it?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

we can start with the WH's preparation & subsequent handling of this was "less than optimal", esp given the advertisement of a violent landscape. IOW, put this in the context of bush's PDB "Bin Laden determined to attack inside the U.S." from back in the day. have you lot here suddenly learned grace & nuance? did obama do everything he could to help prevent this, or is this more "leading from behind"?

maybe obama should now choose to smoke virginia slims..."You've come a long way, baby"

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
we can start with the WH's preparation & subsequent handling of this was "less than optimal", esp given the advertisement of a violent landscape.
http://www.npr.org/2012/10/21/163336896/security-issues-force-foreign-service-to-adapt

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=163293010

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/10/hillary-clinton-us-doesnt-rely-facebook-intelligence/58318/

IOW, put this in the context of bush's PDB "Bin Laden determined to attack inside the U.S." from back in the day. have you lot here suddenly learned grace & nuance? did obama do everything he could to help prevent this, or is this more "leading from behind"?
In context of that? The largest attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor, or invading the wrong country at the expenses of how many american and civilian lives? In that context, yea, I don't really think the Libiya thing is that big of a deal actually.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
In context of that? The largest attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor, or invading the wrong country at the expenses of how many american and civilian lives?
uh, no.

actionable intel of a pending al-queda-led terrorist attack on american soil channeled up to WH

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
uh, no.

actionable intel of a pending al-queda-led terrorist attack on american soil channeled up to WH
If I thought that Republicans gave a sh!t about this country and weren't just doing this for political gain a month before the election, I might be more inclined to believe that this is an issue. There's zero interest in finding out the full extent of what happened, and 100% interest in trying to win the WH.

See: Mitt Romney's unconscionable statement criticizing the embassy *while* the attack was ongoing.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If I thought that Republicans gave a sh!t about this country and weren't just doing this for political gain a month before the election, I might be more inclined to believe that this is an issue. There's zero interest in finding out the full extent of what happened, and 100% interest in trying to win the WH.

See: Mitt Romney's unconscionable statement criticizing the embassy *while* the attack was ongoing.
so religious fanatics murdering americans meets you with a disinterested yawn, but if mittens says anything offensive to dear leader, *that* prompts you to pop BO's dick out of your mouth & give a cum-throated yawp?

i get it now

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'd back a full investigation into security lapses and CIA intel in a non-partisan, rational manner. You know, something that would come to a conclusion after a full investigation, as opposed to just trying to shoehorn Gov. Magical Underpants into the White House. When the family of the dead ambassador tells the Republicans to stop trying to use his death for political gain, you know that something's F'ed with the whole situation.

See also: "Fast & Furious" investigation, where 1% of the time was spent on the program itself, and 99% of the time was spent trying to tie Holder to it and making a case that it was all part of Obama's grand plan to outlaw guns in this country....

If you really can't figure out why it's a political investigation, just ask yourself why it has to happen NOW as opposed to in a few months when the investigation is complete? Or why Mittens put out a press release condemning the embassy while the attack was actually taking place? The Republicans are tripping over themselves trying to make this a political issue in the next 2.5 weeks...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You're really going to compare the WH waiting one day to vet intel before sharing it publicly with ignoring intel on pending attacks?

A much more accurate analogy would be Dan Rather's gaffe in publicly announcing "news" before vetting it properly. Where did you stand on that?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i'm so glad to read these even-handed opinions, allowing due process to run its course before making any judgments.

i guess i had you lot all wrong.

cooler heads indeed

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
i'm so glad to read these even-handed opinions, allowing due process to run its course before making any judgments.

i guess i had you lot all wrong.

cooler heads indeed
I for one am appalled that Obama doesn't immediately tweet every report that comes across his desk. It's a new era of media and he's got to get with the times. I don't wait 24 hours to be told about things that have already happened. What the **** is this, 1998?

I've seen this meme of comparing this to 9/11 pop up on several sites. The analogy is SUCH a ridiculous logical stretch and has emerged so consistently in multiple places that it could not be organic. It has to have come from a think tank producing it as a talking point. Seriously, $tinkle, I expect more originality from you. You've always been better than that. As I've pointed out, an apt analogy is Dan Rather's gaffe. Both were intel on historical events, rather than future events. Until time machines are invented, there isn't quite the same rush as with a report that says something like "attack imminent."

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
CBS News has released a clip of an interview by Steve Kroft of 60 Minutes on Sep. 12 with President Barack Obama that indicates Obama knew the assault on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya was a premeditated terror attack--and suggests the White House later deceived the public by blaming protests against an anti-Islam video. CBS chose not to air the clip for over a month--but did air Obama’s attack on Romney that same night.

Obama told Kroft that the attack in Benghazi was different from the violent protest at the U.S. embassy in Cairo: "You're right that this is not a situation that was exactly the same as what happened in Egypt, and my suspicion is, is that there are folks involved in this who were looking to target Americans from the start."

Obama's remarks pointed towards a premeditated attack, in contrast to the story the White House went on to tell for weeks.

CBS chose not to air that portion of the interview with President Obama--not even in the days and weeks that followed, when it was highly relevant--first to the question of the nature of the Benghazi attack, then to the question of whether the president had in fact called it an act of terror from the start.

:panic: According to Fox News :panic:, the clip first appeared online on Oct. 19. It was embedded Oct. 24 in an article by CBS News’ Sharyl Attkisson.

What CBS chose to air, instead, was President Obama’s attack on his Republican rival, Mitt Romney, who had criticized the administration’s apologetic response to the Cairo demonstration.
Obama said Romney “seems to have a tendency to shoot first and aim later.” That portion of the interview aired immediately, and drove the news for days. Obama’s comment suggesting that the attack had been premeditated was not aired.
obama's [mis]handling of this isn't terribly noteworthy, but CBS's complicity certainly is.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
You really seem to be having trouble grasping that there is nothing there. After 8 years of gross incompetence under Bush, no normal person is going to get their undies in a bunch over how this incident was described. You know the old saying. If you are not outraged, you are not trying really, really hard to be outraged.

I don't give a crap if they initially said it was attacked by Shriners in funny hats and tiny cars. Four years of competence buys you a bit of leeway.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
that's beneath obama on the "would you hit it" trim meter.....fvcking really?

when a somewhat celebrity offers to do commercial for him.....he has the right and moral authority ask "who the fvck is that?"

more harm than good.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Reagan leads onces again:

Ronald Reagan Made A ‘First Time’ Voting Joke 32 Years Before Lena Dunham Did

Did the GOP forget the time Reagan ignored intelligence and this happened. He made the French look strong and gave Middle East terrorism huge momentum:

Suicide bombers detonated each of the truck bombs. In the attack on the American Marines barracks, the death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 sailors and three soldiers, along with sixty Americans injured, representing the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II, the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States military since the first day of the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War, and the deadliest single attack on Americans overseas since World War II.

U.S. President Ronald Reagan called the attack a "despicable act"[17] and pledged to keep a military force in Lebanon. Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, who had privately advised the administration against stationing U.S. Marines in Lebanon,[18] said there would be no change in the U.S.'s Lebanon policy. On October 24, French President François Mitterrand visited the bombed French site. It was not an official visit, and he only stayed for a few hours, but he did declare "We will stay." U.S. Vice President George H. W. Bush toured the Marine bombed-site on October 26 and said the U.S. "would not be cowed by terrorists."[19]

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Bekaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guards positions. President Reagan assembled his national security team and planned to target the Sheik Abdullah barracks in Baalbek, Lebanon, which housed Iranian Revolutionary Guards believed to be training Hezbollah militants.[20] A joint American-French air assault on the camp where the bombing was planned was also approved by Reagan and Mitterrand. Defense Secretary Weinberger lobbied successfully against the mission, because at the time it was not certain that Iran was behind the attack.

There was no serious retaliation for the Beirut bombing from the Americans, besides a few shellings. In December 1983, U.S. aircraft from the USS John F. Kennedy and USS Independence battle groups attacked Syrian targets in Lebanon, but this was ostensibly in response to Syrian missile attacks on American warplanes.
Multi-service ground-support units were withdrawn from Beirut after the attack on the barracks due to retaliatory threats.

In the meantime, the attack boosted the prestige and growth of the Shi'ite organization Hezbollah. Hezbollah officially denied any involvement in the attacks, but was seen by Lebanese as involved nonetheless as it praised the "two martyr mujahideen" who "set out to inflict upon the U.S. Administration an utter defeat, not experienced since Vietnam."[22] Hezbollah was now seen by many as "the spearhead of the sacred Muslim struggle against foreign occupation".
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183262,00.html

Aide: Reagan Left Marines Vulnerable in Beirut

A former defense secretary for Ronald Reagan says he implored the president to put Marines serving in Beirut in a safer position before terrorists attacked them in 1983, killing 241 servicemen.
"I was not persuasive enough to persuade the president that the Marines were there on an impossible mission," Caspar Weinberger says in an oral history project capturing the views of former Reagan administration officials.
Or maybe that Clinton warned the GOP about their cuts a year prior...

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
CBS embargoed this until 24 hrs ago

KROFT: Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word terrorism in connection with the Libya Attack, do you believe that this was a terrorism attack?

OBAMA: Well it’s too early to tell exactly how this came about, what group was involved, but obviously it was an attack on Americans. And we are going to be working with the Libyan government to make sure that we bring these folks to justice, one way or the other.​

classy

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

KROFT: Mr. President, this morning you went out of your way to avoid the use of the word terrorism in connection with the Libya Attack, do you believe that this was a terrorism attack?

OBAMA: Well it’s too early to tell exactly how this came about, what group was involved, but obviously it was an attack on Americans. And we are going to be working with the Libyan government to make sure that we bring these folks to justice, one way or the other.​

classy
Just shocking.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

classy
You're slightly smarter than the average foxtard so I'll ask you.

what
****ing
difference
does
it
make
what
it's
called?