Quantcast

What do I do?

jbrunton

Chimp
Oct 26, 2001
America's wang
I sold my bike on ebay recently and in the auction I stated that I didn't want to sell to someone outside the US. I received a message from a potential bidder in Germany who asked if I would ship it to him. I decided to tell him that as long as he payed with a verified payapl account I would ship to him. After the auction ended I got shipping quotes for him from the two big shippers. After giving him the prices from both fedex and ups with insurance he decided they were too expensive. I then went to usps and the cost is about half of the others but they would only let me get $500 insurance. I shipped the bike promptly after receiving the payment. I had to ship the bike in two different boxes the tires in one box and the rest of the bike in another. As of today he has only received the box with the tires. I have contacted usps and they tell me that the package was last scanned in customs in germany yesterday morning at like 6:40 local time. My ultimate question here is if something happens to the package or he doesn't receive it, who does responsibilty fall on, seein as he is the one who chose to go with the cheaper less insured shipping company.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
if you offered additional insurance and he declined he's responsible for eating the cost of lost or damaged goods. If USPS does refund the $500 due to a lost parcel all you're responsible to return to the buyer is that $500, if for whatever reason USPS won't refund the money you owe the buyer nothing, it was his decision to gamble and take the cheaper insurance, he lost, you keep your money.

Now if you hadn't offered insurance the story would be different, but you did so legally you're not responsible.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
The way you describe the transaction it can be inferred that you shipped FCA or Free Carrier. The buyer stipulated the manner of shipping so your responsiblity ended and his began when you delivered those goods to the shipper (the post office) and they accepted them.

You may be required to assist in dealing with the shipping company but only at the buyer's risk and expense.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Sit tight, that other box could show up. Sometimes one of the boxes will be loaded into another truck or even the wrong truck. Just becuase you shipped them together doesn't mean they will stay together in transit. I would keep checking the tracking number and wait it out a couple more days.