Quantcast

What Do I Do!?!?!?!

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
I just recieved a check from a third party (a business associate of the consumer) for a frame that i sold. It is a personal check not a bank check like I had agreed upon on the plan. It is also exceeding the amount of money we had agreed upon by a fairly large sum. Should I cash the check and keep the money? should I say something?

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Smells like one of those "Nigerian Prince Needs Your Help" scams...
Yes it does!

Did you already send off your frame? If you haven't, then don't! Wait for the apropriate monetary form and amount. And for God's sake..... Do not send your bike! oh and don't cash the check either

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
lmao...

Is this karma for posting a link to your eBay auction in the DH forum?

Has his shipping agent dropped by yet?

mxer338

Monkey
May 9, 2005
CT
I just recieved a check from a third party (a business associate of the consumer) for a frame that i sold. It is a personal check not a bank check like I had agreed upon on the plan. It is also exceeding the amount of money we had agreed upon by a fairly large sum. Should I cash the check and keep the money? should I say something?
are you serious? :banghead:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
It's a classic scam.

If you gave the "associate" the frame it's probably gone. The buyer will probably contact you asking to wire the difference (probably via Western Union) between the sale price and the check amount. After you send it to him the check will bounce. You''ll be out the frame and the money both.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
I know what I would do:

Cash the check, call the person who sent the money and explain that they've over payed. Ask if that was intentional. If so, keep the money, if not, mail them the frame and a check for the difference.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I know what I would do:

Cash the check, call the person who sent the money and explain that they've over payed. Ask if that was intentional. If so, keep the money, if not, mail them the frame and a check for the difference.

if it's the classic overpayment scam, he's given the frame to the "business associate" of the buyer already. It can take 10 days for checks to fully clear, even though your bank may allow you to withdraw the funds immediately, they will debit your account if the check ultimately bounces.

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I had one of those fake checks from nigeria of price niwezheo and i gave it to the polics department. They thanksed me and said that they will give the fake to the apropriate people to deal with.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's a scam.

If you've sent the frame already, chalk it up to a learning experience and contact your local P.D. Chances are you'll never see a dime or your frame again.

If you haven't sent the frame, walk away from the whole thing.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Scam, scam, scam, scam, scam, scam, scam, scam, scammity scam!

sung to the 'Spam' chorus

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
i know about teh scam, he said he was gonna send me a bank check, but instead he sent me a personal check. I am not stupid enough to have already sent off the frame. I'm just gonna take the check to the bank and see what they have to say. This is so lame though. Can i have the bank make sure it wont bounce before i try to cash it so that there is no penalty against my account?

i know about teh scam, he said he was gonna send me a bank check, but instead he sent me a personal check. I am not stupid enough to have already sent off the frame. I'm just gonna take the check to the bank and see what they have to say. This is so lame though. Can i have the bank make sure it wont bounce before i try to cash it so that there is no penalty against my account?

Is it a bank that has a branch near you? If you bring it to that bank, they can tell you.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Seriously, dude, this is not worth the hassle. You are not going to profit off this.

There is NOBODY who finds it more convenient to have a "business associate" pay you and trust you to forward the balance along to them. Nobody. Just walk away from the scam.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Seriously, dude, this is not worth the hassle. You are not going to profit off this.

There is NOBODY who finds it more convenient to have a "business associate" pay you and trust you to forward the balance along to them. Nobody. Just walk away from the scam.
I do not.

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT

he never asked me to forward the balance. this ****s so lame. IM ANGRY!!!! the thing was i had the whole payment set up so that he couldnt scam me, then he goes and sends me a freakin personal check. so stupid.