Quantcast

what do u think?

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
alright im looking to get a new hardtail, i know i want to make it a single speed... and im actaully gonna try to keep the weight on it to a min. so maybe only rear disc, maybe front if i feel like it.. but ive got a few bikes in mind
http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_komodofx1.html ... i would still have to make it into a single speed but ive got the kit to do it and everything.
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bicycles/jackal.php ... something with this one
http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/zero.php this is the last one and im thinking im gonna go with this... ive got a friend with one and i love the way it rides plus the rotor on the headset helps but im look for some input here on riding exp. on any of theese bikes.. a yey or nay!

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
There is a big price range in those bikes. The haro zero is around $500, while the jackal is over $1500. Its the nicest, so you decide if you want to spend the money.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Wow, I'm surprised your even considering the other two bikes with the Jackal. The Jackal will be a better single speed, and can do it all when it comes to hardtail riding. get the Jackal.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
haromtnbiker said:
The haro zero is around $500.
yeah i would be able to get one for about 475 witch is pretty tempting but im just looking around and trying to get input from other riders... anyone one out there have a jackal?

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
Hmmm, well, if you really dont wanna front brake, then get the haro zero and buy a new fork for it like a sherman jumper, dj2, something around those lines. But, if you want an awesome all round bike but for a ****load more cash, get the jackal, its sweet as hell. Also, i wouldnt rule out that Jamis. All of the bikes you are looking at are sweet, but you really do get what you pay for so just work out how much you want to pay relative to how many of the parts on the bike you actually need. Yes, a giant stp-1 would work too. But as i said, work out how many parts you need on the bike relative to how much it costs. Ie, dont get a bike with an xtr drivetrain and then convert it to singlespeed. Its a waste of money when you are buying it. If you have the money, get the jackal. Its pimp as hell.

maro

Chimp
May 2, 2005
SLC
skajumper said:
Hmmm, well, if you really dont wanna front brake, then get the haro zero and buy a new fork for it like a sherman jumper, dj2, something around those lines.
the haro is front brake ready, i have an avid juicy 7 on the front of mine. its a pretty good bike, but yeah it really needs a new fork, i'm getting a DJ3 for it because the suntour that it comes with is so mushy. after a week of riding, it started making a leaky, wheezy noise. i'd also suggest new pedals, the ones on there suck and my feet slip off all the time. i had to get 16 stitches in my shin because they have such ****ty grip. but its a great bike for the price, especially if you like buying new parts and wrenching on it like me.

also, one thing i've found is the giro likes to get all out of alignment and sometimes disconnect all together when you take the bike off big drops, so watch out for that.

EDIT: one last thing, there's no rear derailer hanger, so you're pretty much stuck with the single speed.

dhriderII

Monkey
Nov 26, 2004
good ol' culpep
anyone ever heard of taking a bruiser2 and converting it to single speed ive currently got one but im not really sure on how that would be tho i think im gonna do it anyways its only a $20 conversion kit.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
sinister dna dont even mess around with any other bikes. great construction, built it chain tensioners, street specific geometry etc etc and ridden by the best of the best (ebot, smutok, etc etc)

Jul 19, 2004
Jax
bah if your gonna think of the Sinister go with a Evil Imperial...they are bombproof and dont take no for an answer 3 different tire postions hell ya and they lighter then other DH/FR hardtails!

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
get the jackal. hands down greatest dj bike i own. thats all i kick around on. they are sweet. makes a great ss. kinda pricey but if u can get one for 475 or watever u said thats amazing. jump on it.