Quantcast

What do you call a Mongolian Hooker?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Gung Ho of course...

About an hour drive north of Seattle, there is a fantastic riding spot that we're very fortunate to have. Most of our best backcountry riding are trails spread across higher elevations in the states along various mountain ranges. Where snow buries most trails for a greater portion of a year. Located on Fidalgo Island Anacortes Community Forest Lands is a public owned portion of lakes and forests protected from development. And it's a place where we are afforded splendid riding all year long.

The lowlands of the Puget Sound is a temperate region. Never get's too hot or too cold, and it's rare to get any significant amount of snow accumulation. So when we drove into a wall of snow pretty close to the trail, i was pretty excited.

There's just something special about riding in a quiet snow forest. You're expecting to roll by Santa and his sleigh around every turn.

Spinning across a trail that runs along the shore of Whistle Lake, a truly spectacular trail that ranks pretty high in my book.

Along with another stretch of trail that can humble a proficient technical all terrain rider. i speak of myself of course sitting here with sore knee, and bruised/chipped shins from a few brutal crashes. Always provides motivation to me to return to a place after it kicks ya in the keester.:D

Since i was leading the ride i unfortunately had to cut the ride a bit short being banged up, but i still didn't feel right in not taking a detour up Sugarloaf Hill before we finished. A few nice view stops and prime trail awaited. So even though some tentative riding caused another crash re-aggravating my beat up legs, it was still so worth it.:D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You haven't posted a pic thread in a while . good to see your always excellent pics again

Its snowing here now , so soon I'll have some snow pics too!
Cool man, what the holy hell is up with credit on this site? haha.

i'm just stopping in because i heard there was free nachos...

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Cool, love the snowy pics. ACFL is downright amazing. There's some darn technical sections of those trails too - kinda surprises ya since its not on a big mountain top and its surrounded by housing. Big bear hug to those folks who designated this land for outdoor recreation many years ago!

No action pics from me since I was riding solo, but this was one of my favorite sections.

Trails here went from "late-Fall wet" to "6" of snow winter" in 3 days. Guess its time to do some much needed bike maintenance (and upgrades, of course :biggrin:).