Quantcast

What do you do when you are a fat MTBr?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
You take your much thinner old highschool buddy out and teach him the difference between thin and fit. ;)

So my buddy bought my old GT STS XC bike a couple year ago and finally I have him interested in riding it. Threw some slicks on it and he bought some clipless pedals (thanks Oly) and shoes so he was ready to go.

Now, I am not a fast/fit rider by any stretch of the imagination....but I had to slow down for my poor friend. He was struggling after the first couple miles. We road the flat bike path (Centenial Trail) from Snohomish to Lake Stevens to visit Bike Works and then headed back. Round trip is about 17-18 miles. I had no big ring (bash guard) and still my buddy would keep up with me for only a minute or so and then fall back.....

I hung back and tried to help him out with seat adjustments and gearing selections....and he started to enjoy the ride more. So much more we are going to do the Centenial trail again tomarrow. I hope he won't hurt like he did the day after the last ride. :devil: :sneaky: Maybe we can increase our collective speed some. Because when you get passed by a couple of retired ladies on Pacifics, it is embarassing. :thumb: I gave my buddy a bad time about that one.

I think the ride humbled him as to how much "general fitness" it takes to ride even a bike path. But he sounds more excited to do it tomarrow and if I bring him around slowly I might convert another person to bicycling...eventually MTBing. Baby steps....'cause I don't want to scare him off. ;)

I actually enjoyed taking a "newbie" out. Made the whole expereince a little more precious.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
You never know what the big guys can do. I remember a couple of years ago a guy who used to be a lineman at the U of W and probably weighed 300 ran a race in the Clyde division. He ran all over the skinny guys in spandex and a couple of them looked like monkeys on bikes when he went past.

I have yet to see a woman sign up for Clyde. I would bet some guys would gladly pay to have Zena Warrior Goddess run over their backs when she went past. :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
He survived!

22 miles RT this time. a steady 5 mile climb and then a similiar descent. Side ride to Bike Works (buddy buys padded shorts, and I buy some cork Road bike tape for my fathers road bike and one of them master link things) to make it 22 miles.

He did much better this time....still slow. but his gear selection was much better and he was a spinning fool on the climb. We averaged a couple miles an hour faster this time and that is climbing over flat.

We might hit the Burke Gilman tomarrow. Bothell Landing to Marymoore Park and back....about 18-20 if I remember right.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Borregokid said:
You never know what the big guys can do. I remember a couple of years ago a guy who used to be a lineman at the U of W and probably weighed 300 ran a race in the Clyde division. He ran all over the skinny guys in spandex and a couple of them looked like monkeys on bikes when he went past.

I have yet to see a woman sign up for Clyde. I would bet some guys would gladly pay to have Zena Warrior Goddess run over their backs when she went past. :)
Haha!

Clearing trail for my motorcycle club last fall I ended up standing on a nest in a clear cut....:rolleyes: Once I figured out it was bees bouncing off my Baseball cap and not chips from the weed eaters or chainsaws and notice the bees trying to sting me through my vest and sweat shirt....

I was off like an Olympic Hurdler. :D THe other guys said they had never seen me run that fast. I was leaping like a freaking gazzel and beating feet to the field (about 100 yds later). Then I still had some on me and made a quick de-vesting and then the sweatshirt. Killed them little bastards.

Point is....I am slow but pump a little fear driven addrenalin and watch out! lol They still talk about how fast I was moving through the clear cut slash.

I told my buddy I am like his Corvette. Sure I can get great gas mileage at freeway speeds idling low and cruising, but the minute you put me in front of a hill I get like 2mpg and my tank aint that big. :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Haha i got a bum knee we should go ride up a hill i gotta go slow now. Wanna do some Fawn Ridge this weekend? 10 miler 6 mile easier forest road climb and a super fun descent. Invite your pal we'll take our time, get some fresh air.:)

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Don't kill Him what is fun for you might hurt like hell for him ultimaly leading to the demise of his cycling carreer. Go his speed for 2 weeks so his body has time to adjust then lay it on him.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Slider said:
Don't kill Him what is fun for you might hurt like hell for him ultimaly leading to the demise of his cycling carreer. Go his speed for 2 weeks so his body has time to adjust then lay it on him.
We rode flat bike paths averaging 7 to 9(more recently) miles per hour. I am no mean out to kill him. I am letting him set the pace....especially if there is a hill of any sort.

The first ride I literally barely boke a sweat. That is almost impossible for me to do....I sweat like a stuck pig. But I stayed back and coached him and helped him correct some glaring gearing and body position mistakes he had on the first day and after that he has started to make better gearing selections and picked up the pace. Still I have to tow him(he drafts me) if there is any sort of head wind. (Side note: I HATE wind, after going to school in ellensburg) He is doing fine but it definately opened his eyes to the type of fitness it takes to even be marginaly (I can barely qualify to be marginally) bike fit.

He is doing fine. I know how what it is like to be the anchor of rides...it is no fun. ;)