Quantcast

What do you do with beat up and really old bikes/parts

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I just bought a new frame and gutted my balfa for parts. Now I'm left with a Balfa bb7 frame which I don't know what to do with. This frame is rideable, but clapped out and beat to hell. Same goes for other components I have laying around my apartment... 03 boxxer with stripped bolts (from prior owner).. hayes brakes, stems, cranks, etc.

What do you do with this stuff?

I can't keep it because I live in an apartment, and if I put it on ebay, I'm afraid some kid who doesn't know better will buy it and be disappointed even if I list all of the flaws.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
if it was something more generic like road parts I'd suggest donating them to a local bike rescue. So aside from drilling out those stripped bolts and replacing them on parts that are more salvadgeable, you're pretty much stuck with em.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You need to keep them forever. The only way to get rid of a part is to pass it to a friend so he/she may use it on their bike. No exceptions. Orphan parts will just end up on your bike in heaven if you perchance make it there....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just took off 8 year old XT shifters off my brand new Blur, and I am replacing them with 11 year old XTR.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Put them up for free on craigslist. People will take anything. Seriously. I left a couple bottles of used motor oil and some used coolant (with stop leak) on the curb and they were gone within hours.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
How much you want for that Boxxer? My brother has an 03 Race and having a fork for spare parts couldn't hurt.

Edit: and as for the topic at hand, I have a large plastic tote where I save all of my old parts.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I've always wanted to make an entire bike out of broken/beat-up old parts to hang on the wall. I've just never gotten around to absolutely destroying an entire bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You need to keep them forever. The only way to get rid of a part is to pass it to a friend so he/she may use it on their bike. No exceptions. Orphan parts will just end up on your bike in heaven if you perchance make it there....
Must spread.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
How much you want for that Boxxer? My brother has an 03 Race and having a fork for spare parts couldn't hurt.

Edit: and as for the topic at hand, I have a large plastic tote where I save all of my old parts.
Shipping + cost of packing materials + perhaps $$'s for a 6-pack? I'll throw in the different springs I found too. The axle bolts are stripped, stanchions are incredibly worn, but it has relatively new enduro seals and the internals should be ok.

I would hang this on the wall but I'm in an apartment and don't want to drill holes. This place is weird, I have 5 ceiling fans, dimmer switches everywhere, and wallpaper straight from a hotel. An aspiring interior decorator lived here and I fear their wrath.

Last edited:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly give em away for free, at least thats what i do with stuff i don't need and don't feel comfortable to sell anymore.

for some kid your old worn out stuff can make the difference for a day riding or not!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm behind the "give them away to somebody that could really use them" idea.

I've given away a few good parts in my time for which I not longer had any use.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
On a better note Marilyn Monroe works at the bike shop in heaven topless. Besides her being a top notch mechanic, the prices are so low that you're going to want to be there as much as possible. Also Farah Fawcett works on the sales floor in that red bikini and gives you a happy ending when you buy a bike or a part. By the way they have a huge inventory of DH and All mountain parts but not for the customers, but for the staff, so they don't have to hear you whine when the part you want has to be ordered. Atleast in my version of Heaven....

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Not sure I want to see a clapped-out Marilyn Monroe topless. Do they do mandatory cosmetic surgery to get those chicks back to "top form" when they go to heaven?
I suspect Her being clapped out will be the least of your worries as I am sure they won't have any Trek Y-bikes in heaven....

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dude, donate your BB7 to me! My buddy wants his clapped out RM7 back and I need a old man DH rig. That would be PERFECT!